Sing to me Calliope...

High Seas

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:52 pm
@Letty,
Calliope, not Clio. Now that Walter is here he can clear up the mysterious name of a German warship that came up in a search for "Calliope":
Quote:
In March, 1889, the island and harbor were swept by a terrific hurricane, which wrecked the United States ships Trenton (flag-ship) and Vandalia, and the German men-of-war EbZZZr, Adler, and Olga, and drove ashore the United States steamer Nipsic. the Calliope (British) was the only man-of-war in the harbor that succeeded in escaping to sea.

EbZZZr? What?!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 03:06 pm
@High Seas,
SMS Eber ('canon boat')

http://i28.tinypic.com/vqs9yb.jpg

Quote:
SMS Eber was the last of the six gunboats of the Iltis-class of the German Imperial Navy prior to and during World War I. The others were Iltis, Jaguar, Tiger, Luchs and Panther. They were built between 1898 and 1903. The boats displaced between 894 and 977 tons, were 66 m long, had a top speed of 14 knots and a crew of 130. Iltis and Jaguar, the first two, were armed with four 8.8 cm guns, the others with two 10.5 cm guns. In addition they carried six 3.7 cm guns. All of them served primarily overseas, in the German colonies.
Eber was posted in West African waters when the war broke out. She met up with the German passenger liner Cap Trafalgar off the Brazilian island of Trindade and transferred her guns, most of her ammunitions and some of her crew to the liner which was then expected to operate as a commerce raider. Eber herself was interned in Brazil and scuttled by her crew on 26 October 1917 in Bahia when Brazil joined the war against Germany.
(Text from wikipedia)
High Seas

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 03:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Ah! Magic. Thank you Walter, the typesetter was obviously unfamiliar with that abbreviation - but isn't that ship supposed to have been destroyed in that 1889 hurricane in Samoa before the date posted?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 03:18 pm
@High Seas,
I own a couple of 'rang and ship lists of the Imperial navy'. Wink
High Seas

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 03:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Point, set, and match - to Walter, of course! Thank you again; I sure hope Letty thinks the naval history bit and beautiful ship picture we posted relevant to her thread - they did after all come up in relation to another ship, named Calliope.
Letty

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 04:10 pm
@High Seas,
Everything is relevant, H.S. when it comes to the namesakes of the muses.

Walter's ship reminds me that Orpheus and Charon shared another kind.

Love how this simple poem has taken such a wonderful turn.

http://www.englishare.net/literature/DC-dante-dore03-charon.gif

Once again he plays his lyre
To calm the captain of the boat
That pilots all who have no hope.
And as we see
The melody
Brings love and joy for eternity.
High Seas

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 05:49 pm
@Letty,
Letty - so kind and generous of you (and so very typical) to take that view of assorted incursions by naval, astronomical, and subterranean (or is it catachthonian?) powers. Just quick note here to tell you if any pests - the internet as you know is rife with those - come over yet again and mark down your poetry, I'll deal with them when I come back to civilization in a couple of weeks. Keep well Smile
Letty

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 06:26 pm
@High Seas,
Thank you, High Seas. Now I remember the poem that Edgar A. Poe wrote that was about you.

I always enjoy what people write.
It infuses the spirit,
Enhances the light,
Gives to the darkness
A gentle sight.
And myths become
real as we sing and take flight.

From Pegasus, goodnight.

http://fawkesthepheonix.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pegasus.jpg

High Seas

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:56 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:

Thank you, High Seas. Now I remember the poem that Edgar A. Poe wrote that was about you.

It infuses the spirit,
Enhances the light,
Gives to the darkness
A gentle sight.
And myths become

From Pegasus, goodnight.

Letty - probably as well that your beautiful Pegasus picture vanished into the mists of things that were, or that were copy-protected; at least your verses (and Poe's) stay with us always. Here's my all-time favorite internet cartoon, and if it vanishes I'll try to find it again in another variant:
http://www.unc.edu/courses/jomc050/idog.jpg

High Seas

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:59 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Letty wrote:

It infuses the spirit,
Enhances the light,
Gives to the darkness
A gentle sight.
And myths become

From Pegasus, goodnight.

Letty - probably as well that your beautiful Pegasus picture vanished into the mist of things that were, or that were copy-protected; at least your verses (and Poe's) stay with us always. Here's my all-time favorite internet cartoon, and if it vanishes I'll try to find it again in another variant:
http://www.unc.edu/courses/jomc050/idog.jpg

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 06:52 pm
@High Seas,
Hey, High Seas. You have a "two dog night" there. Love that cartoon.

Everything vanishes in time,
We see what we want to see.

We think of an echo and rhyme
And the places we don't want to be.

Perhaps we are the myths,
and muses are spawns of our life,

Falling into an abyss
Clutching at fragile life lines.

Calliope, Erato, and Clio
Keep playing, weird sisters, for me.

http://www.culturaleconomics.atfreeweb.com/images/vouet_parnassus.JPG

0 Replies