The Concept of the Trinity

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 06:08 pm
Nietzsche claimed that all knowledge is interpretation, always partial and limited, and that we invented God to have a bearer of omnicompetant perspective: He who does not have to interpret and who sees things from all angles simultaneously.

(To quote Voltaire- 'If God did not exist it would be necessary to invent him.')

In any christian theology, practice, or interpretation of the Bible, is the concept of the trinity ever seen as representing anything similar to-
The son- Man (us)
The Holy Spirit- The world in the noumenal sense.
The Father- The omniscient perspective which understands the pluralised perspectives of mankind.

Do any Christians consider the concept of the trinity as a metaphysical theory, or only as a 'removed'/'objectified' three-part deity?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,060 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:14 pm
At the risk of sounding really stupid here, what do you mean exactly by the 'removed.......' part?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:57 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Interesting notion, pq.
I see a similarity to the state of nirvana, which is sometimes described as existence in perfect harmony with the universe itself. An existence in which you don't percieve any one angle, but rather percieve the whole, or "all angles at all times", as you put it. There is no god in the philosophy behind this idea, not in the sense we here in the west use the word.

So, while a person reaching for nirvana strives to trancend his own humanity and become one with all things, those who have the need for the god who is "the bearer of omnicompetant perspective" remain small and unexplored entities who would rather worship this idea than grow into it....

I think it is clear from my wording which group of people i associate myself with Wink
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:03 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Also, there is another way to "understand" the concept of the holy trinity. It is a metaphor on the immortality of man.

The father and the son are simply the mechanism by which the spirit remains alive. The blood that flows through my heart is made from the blood of my ancestors. This is an unbroken chain that reaches back countless millennia. Of my ancestor who lived 10000 years ago there is no evidence apart from me. But even if I know nothing at all about him, I can know for sure that he existed, or I wouldn't be here. When I think about that I become filled with a sense of awe. There is almost something holy about it. And it also reminds me on the duty I have to these ancestors. If I die without having children, without ensuring the continuation of their lives, I will have taken any purpose that remains away from their very existence....
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 12:07 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
In any christian theology, practice, or interpretation of the Bible, is the
concept of the trinity ever seen as representing anything similar to-
The son- Man (us)
The Holy Spirit- The world in the noumenal sense.
The Father- The omniscient perspective which understands the pluralised
perspectives of mankind.

Do any Christians consider the concept of the trinity as a metaphysical theory,
or only as a 'removed'/'objectified' three-part deity?

As I'm sure you know, Christian theologians of the middle ages used
philosophy based on Aristotle in their theologizing. Philosophy was called the
ancilla theologiae, the handmaiden of theology.

As I recall it, Aquinas spoke of God the Father being the creator and
knower of himself and all things. The Son proceeds from the Father and
is his knowledge of himself and his creation. The Holy Spirit proceeds
from this knowledge and is the love binding creator and creation.

Anyway, that's how I remember it.
0 Replies