moonlanding controversy

Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:40 pm
I wonder why there is so much controversy about whether or not astronauts really landed on the moon. ABC news is about to show some enhanced video that makes it easier to prove.

What's the deal? It boggles my mind as to why the cult of doubting thomases have cropped up around this.

View best answer, chosen by Ragman
panzade

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:20 pm
@Ragman,
Well NASA accidentally erased the video...hmmm...rocket scientists Shocked

Quote:
NASA could put a man on the moon but didn't have the sense to keep the original video of the live TV transmission.

In an embarrassing acknowledgment, the space agency said Thursday that it must have erased the Apollo 11 moon footage years ago so that it could reuse the videotape.
KiwiChic

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:38 pm
...then we see the USA flag flapping in the wind?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 11:41 pm
@panzade,
Eh, I well remember seeing it at the time. I'll edit further comments, smiling.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 03:10 am
@Ragman,
Controversy, Mr Gorsky will you make up your mind what you want?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:33 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
I wonder why there is so much controversy about whether or not astronauts really landed on the moon. ABC news is about to show some enhanced video that makes it easier to prove.

I've wondered this too, but it might be more accurate to say, "why is there so much visibility over the minority of whacko's who are in denial of the moon landing", because there's no "real" controversy at all.

My guess is that the visibility of this particular conspiracy theory arises from pure entertainment value. People are entertained by controversies, and this one is very colorful. Also, it hinges on arguments which relate to the scientific understanding of the moon, and of space. And most people are so woefully under informed in scientific matters that they can't immediately differentiate between paranoia and actual data.

There is also an atmosphere of distrust working here. Many people distrust the government almost by default, so they give consideration to things which play on that distrust. This is also interesting because skepticism is a healthy thing, but here we have people being overly skeptical of the government, and much less skeptical of the crackpot ideas they are being fed. Why the discrepancy in who to be skeptical of? The pre-defined distrust of government seems to over ride the healthy skepticism that should be applied to the crackpot theories. Hmmm.
djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:43 am
there are other groups who believe that there is a secret space program, and we never stopped going to the moon, they believe that the original moon landings provided proof of an alien civilization and the government and nasa are there gathering information
ebrown p

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:47 am
@KiwiChic,
There is no wind on the moon silly.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
there are other groups who believe that there is a secret space program, and we never stopped going to the moon, they believe that the original moon landings provided proof of an alien civilization and the government and nasa are there gathering information

Hey, I like that one. Where can I sign up? Smile
roger

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:52 am
@ebrown p,
It was probably plastic, molded into the position we expect from a flag. Ever notice the old paintings of sailing ships. All too often, the flag is streaming out to the rear of the ship, just like it would from the antenna of a car, yet the sails are billowing out towards the front. Of course, the winds aloft could be from the opposite direction.
djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:54 am
@rosborne979,
tune in to coast to coast am, at least once a month some guest on the show brings it up, or check out http://www.enterprisemission.com/
panzade

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 11:02 am
@djjd62,
The movie Capricorn One sure convinced me

Quote:
Classic conspiracy tale about the first manned mission to Mars.

All appears to be going well until the astronauts are pulled off the ship just before launch by shadowy government types and whisked off to a film studio in the desert.

It transpires that the space vehicle has a major defect which NASA just daren't admit. At the studio, over a course of months, the astronauts are forced to act out the journey and the landing to trick the world into believing they have made the trip.

Meanwhile, a Journalist (played by Gould) is getting suspicious and every clue he uncovers seems to result in an attempt on his life! The astronauts are just about to splashdown when a further twist to the tale occurs, leaving them with no choice but to try and escape...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 11:04 am
Moon?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 03:25 pm
@ebrown p,
exactly..... that was my sarcasm
ebrown p

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 03:36 pm
@KiwiChic,
exactly ... and that was my sarcasm (not every movement is a flap-- especially when there is a secret alien civilization nearby).

Do you know where the word "lunatic" comes from?

KiwiChic

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 04:02 pm
@ebrown p,
I forgot about the secret alien civilization, maybe they have an invisibility cloaking device and were actually 'waving' the flag...and we just could not see.
ebrown p
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 04:17 pm
@KiwiChic,
Or, those guys in the white suits nearby might have had something to do with it...

KiwiChic

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 04:31 pm
@ebrown p,
most interesting...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 05:17 am
Recent LRO Images:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2034594/NASA-moon-landing-hoax-New-photographs-silence-conspiracy-theory.html
0 Replies

hater

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 10:40 pm
@Ragman,
there is no controversy, anyone with a brain knows that we could never send a man to the moon. humans cant survive there
0 Replies