McTag

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 03:31 am

What's with my library starting to offer Bluetooth discs? I don't understand this technology. Seemingly they're not compatible with a DVD player. The world is changing too fast for my liking.

What is the advantage of Bluetooth technology over DVD?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,414 • Replies: 7
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 07:54 am
@McTag,

Er, I meant Blueray, obviously.

I'm a techno-dolt.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:58 am
@McTag,
The advantage is largely in that the capacity of the disc to hold data is far greater. So they can store higher-definition audio and video or hold much more space.

Without the right equipment you may not see much difference in quality so you shouldn't feel compelled to get it right away. DVDs are going to be around for a while.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 09:27 am
@McTag,
Yeah, you'd have to have a Bluetooth in each ear to hear music in stereo, but most phones have MP 3 players in them so you'd get mono sound, the left or the right-hand channel. Don't know if that's currently available. I believe the Iphone and other newer phones which have MP3 have a stereo headphone jack.

Of course, don't check out BluRay discs if you don't have the player -- they are unplayable on a standard DVD device. BluRay is also capable of a 1080p picture which simply means it has the same number of pixels horizontally and vertically so it scans progressively across the frame instead of interlacing the pixels. It's a sharper picture with more detail with a BluRay disc if you have a 40" screen or larger, otherwise you're unlikely to notice the difference. There is some 1080p on satellite TV but it's pay-per-view. Blu-Ray is capable of full PCM sound in 7 and even 9 channels. Bottom line -- unless you have a 1080p display and super sound system, don't worry about it. Right now, if you have an HD TV, I'd buy a DVD upscaler player which improves the smoothness of 420p to the highest definition your display is capable of handling.

The multi-layer disc is capable of storing an entire TV series in standard defintion (older shows like The Avengers) on one disc.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 12:21 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
Yeah, you'd have to have a Bluetooth in each ear to hear music in stereo, but most phones have MP 3 players in them so you'd get mono sound, the left or the right-hand channel. Don't know if that's currently available. I believe the Iphone and other newer phones which have MP3 have a stereo headphone jack.

My iphone doesn't (yet, it's been promised) have stereo bluetooth, but I've been using stereo bluetooth head phones for years on other devices that do support it.
McTag

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:47 pm

Thanks, Bobby and LW
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:51 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

The world is changing too fast for my liking.

Me 'n you, bro. Me 'n you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 07:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I figured it was available but headphones is something I've lately (well, about six years) only used from my laptop. I do hate the cord and my Dell headphone jack has broken at the circuit board so I have to fool around with pressing it in and out and wedging it to to get stereo! It's $ 100.00 for my tech shop to re-solder and they can't guarantee that it can be properly fixed. I understand having worked on aircraft display panel circuit boards and it's probably that the board itself is damaged. I would rather buy another laptop as I've already replaced the plug-and-play DVD-RW and don't want to spend any more money on it. They're basically disposable to begin with -- it's a Dell Inspiron 6000 and the same featured model with more RAM, faster processor and much larger hard drive is about $ 500.00 less! Anyway, the next laptop, if it's available, I want a built-in wireless headphone which would be technically be Bluetooth.
0 Replies