Ahhh Help! GIVE ME YOUR OPINION ON THIS!!!!!!! Please?

hyp55

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 11:06 am
Please give me your opinions!
Do you think our leaders (ex. political, parents, coaches, etc.) should influence us? Why do you think they should influence us?
CAN YOU PLEASE. . . Give me more than a yes or no to this please be very detailed about this and give me some good points I need as many opinions as possible! Please!

TTH

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 11:14 am
Why do you seem so desperate to have an answer? Are you writing a paper for school?
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 11:16 am
Do they influence us?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 12:23 pm
politicians, parents, coaches, civic leaders and church leaders are all full of ****

i take my direction from rappers, movie stars and reality tv
hyp55

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:17 pm
@hyp55,
I'm kind of writting it for school. Its this program I'm in and we have to debate about it and stuff. I need to be more open minded about this so I'm just trying to see peoples views about this. Except I'm not getting as good infromation as I wanted.
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:18 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

politicians, parents, coaches, civic leaders and church leaders are all full of ****

i take my direction from rappers, movie stars and reality tv

that explains so much!

=P
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:19 pm
@OGIONIK,
well, it doesnt matter what position the person has, level headed open minded people who use common sense logic and experience as guides and dont have prejudiced thoughts should be listened to.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:32 pm
@hyp55,
I've noticed this site tends to avoid answering questions for school because much of the point of 'homework' is for the student to research it and come up with their own original thoughts. If you have a particular idea on the topic, it's better to make a statement of some sort and then allow everyone to discuss it. You can then use the 'discussion' as a basis for further research to develop your debate points.

My question above "Do they influence us?" is meant to illustrate that they can only influence us, if we allow them to. Should they? I don't know...poor phrasing of the questing IMHO.
engineer

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:48 pm
@mm25075,
OK, here is a position you can debate:

We have a representative form of government in theory because some issues are so involved that it takes a dedicated person to fully understand the issue and make informed, educated decisions. Since politicians are elected to study issues in depth, they are more informed than the population in general and we should put more weight into their opinions than those of people with only a passing familiarity with the topic in question.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 02:04 pm
@hyp55,
hyp55 wrote:

Do you think our leaders (ex. political, parents, coaches, etc.)
should influence us? Why do you think they should influence us?

CAN YOU PLEASE. . . Give me more than a yes or no to this
please be very detailed about this and give me some good points
I need as many opinions as possible! Please!

OK: it depends on whether u respect their minds or not.
Some leaders are worthy of our accepting their influence
( I like George Washington and General MacArthur )
and others like Joseph Stalin are not.

Some leaders have led to good things
and others have led to ruin. Its better to be influenced by the good ones.

U r the captain of your own ship. (He 's the boss of the ship.)
U have to decide where to steer it and how to maintain it.
If u want to follow other ships, that 's your decision.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 02:25 pm
@hyp55,
Should they, or not, the fact is they do influence us. If they didn't, they wouldn't be leaders.
roger

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 02:26 pm
@mm25075,
Has it occured to you, mm, that often we avoid answering because we don't know the answers?
mm25075

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:43 pm
@roger,
Meh, well there are a few smarties on the board. Smile and if we knew all the answers we probably wouldn't come here any way.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Should they, or not, the fact is they do influence us.
If they didn't, they wouldn't be leaders.

That 's inaccurate.
The Kaiser of Germany did not influence me.
The Kaiser of Germany was a leader.

Q.E.D.: the proposition is disproven.
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:13 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

OK, here is a position you can debate:

We have a representative form of government in theory because some issues are so involved that it takes a dedicated person to fully understand the issue and make informed, educated decisions. Since politicians are elected to study issues in depth, they are more informed than the population in general and we should put more weight into their opinions than those of people with only a passing familiarity with the topic in question.

As opposed to California which puts many issues on the ballot in the form of binding Propositions or referendums that folks who haven't spent the time studying the issue in depth can vote on simply based on emotions. Witness the current financial situation in California which, imo, is at least in part because of this way of governing.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:14 pm
@mm25075,
mm25075 wrote:

Meh, well there are a few smarties on the board. Smile
and if we knew all the answers we probably wouldn't come here any way.

What does "Meh" mean ?

David
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:17 pm
@hyp55,
hyp55 wrote:

Do you think our leaders (ex. political, parents, coaches, etc.) should influence us? Why do you think they should influence us?
CAN YOU PLEASE. . . Give me more than a yes or no to this please be very detailed about this and give me some good points I need as many opinions as possible! Please!

Should they influence us? Who is us? Students/teens/kids or any of us? If it's an age-related, listen to your elders type question then, hell yes, they should influence "us". These people were put in their positions because they supposedly know more about their area of expertise than "we" do.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 11:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
But the question involved our leaders. Was he one of your leaders?
TTH

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 01:21 am
@hyp55,
What is your view on the subject?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 04:19 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

But the question involved our leaders. Was he one of your leaders?

I interpreted that broadly to mean the leaders of humanity, worldwide.
0 Replies