$600 car that gets 258 mpg

donnawoolridge

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 10:50 am
@gungasnake,
Where do I get one of those?
gungasnake

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 08:27 pm
@donnawoolridge,
No clue. I do know that you can go to England and buy one of the VW diesel Jettas which get 80 mpg which we can't have because government fears too much loss of road tax revenue.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 09:20 pm
What road tax? We don't have one, unless you're driving something over 55,000 pounds weight, and I sincerely doubt whatever gas hog you're driving weighs that, gunga.
roger

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 09:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
I think 2290 form is required starting at 26,000 and driven over 5,000 miles per year, but that isn't based on anything other than weight, unless you count the qualifying mileage. Now, New Mexico does have a weight/distance tax return, but it's not federal.

There is a federal fuel tax, if that's what he's referring to.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:39 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
What road tax?

That obviously (other than to a moron like you) meant taxs FOR roads, which are collected at the point of sale for gasoline.

Do you find being an idiot painful?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 07:28 am
@gungasnake,
Jettas don't get 80mpg and never will in the US.

Geez, you can't cure stupid when it comes to gunga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_imperial_and_US_customary_measurement_systems
Quote:
The imperial gallon (4.54609 litres (L)) is 20% larger than the United States liquid gallon (3.785411784 L).
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 07:52 am
You might have noticed, gunga, that the whole thrust of the government push for increased CAFE mileage standards, electric cars, hybrids, and such, is to get the driving we do done using less gasoline, which decreases taxes collected on gasoline , which sort of makes your statement that they are suppressing a high mileage engine because it decreases road taxes nonsensical. By the way, have you seen any Peruvians riding dinosaurs lately?

Incidentally, you might want to update your original link. Rather than telling us something about a development project for a Chinese car that will cost 50 to 80 times as much as your headline says, it now tells us about how celebrities feel about their bodies. While it's nice to know Jessica Alba is still hot, ten years after "Dark Angel", it's a bit irrelevant.
0 Replies