A silly question concerning the Howdy Doody show.

BillRM

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:42 am
I came across the very last 1960 Howdy Doody show on the internet last night and I remember watching it as a child but I have a silly question that had bug me for 49 years or so.

In the last show they had everyone packing in order to leave the town of Doodyville however in the show before this one they was going to tell the kids the story reason of why they was all leaving and my parents had me out of town during that show.

So my question that I could not find on the internet is what reason did the writers come up with for shutting down Doodyville?

Somehow I do not think it had anything to do with the ratings dropping<grin>.

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:36 am
@BillRM,
Well, It was a rather convoluted story.
Princess SUmmer FAll Winter Spring got knocked up by that Duck thing and they were looking to abort, but , back then, there was no Rowe v Wade so they had to trip her off to Sweden where she got a severe case of vaginitis, Very Sad.
Doody then had to go into rehab for chemical induced depression. He was suicidal for quite a while before getting it together.
Buffalo Bob turned gay and was packing Clarabell, who was diagnosed with some pneumonial condition and Sarkosie's sarcoma. This was suspected to have been transmitted to Buffalo Bob by some , then, unknown vector. This was a time when that whole thing was not dealt with any understanding.
Mr Bluster died in a failed hit on Mr Fixapants and there was a big court fight over the entire DOodeyville properties since he was the owner of record. They had to hire a major law firm for the probate hearings and Doodeyville finally went to that kid puppet (D Dally)with the BEanie , who, as it turned out was the love child of Bluster and the cleaning lady. DAlly had a severe gambling problem and went deep in debt to some shylox , who extorted all the Doodeyville properties from Dally. The entire site has been converted to a Big Box Chrysler/GM Car mall since then
It was not an ending where everyone was "moving on" to other things. Doody was later trying to make it as Window dummy but developed a bad hip and had to undergo a hip replacement. (Back in those days they used ceramic for the joints and these were found later to induce blood clots in the venous system) . Doody died of a thrombosis in 78 and he wasnt found until several days after he died in a hot summer of New York City near the site of the thermos bottle building . After Howdy's death, Buffalo Bob tried to resurrect the show with Howdy's brother Rudie Doody but Rudie had an ADD problem and never showed up for rehersals .
All in all, it was best that the show ended on its downward arc, to have ended a few years later, what with all the problems that everyone was having, it would have been even sadder.

I hope this helps.
raprap

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:38 am
Like all good things--ratings dropped as the boomers aged. Besides Howdy was replaced by Sheri Lewis---she was Hot!

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/73/da/6ec8228348a0561baff67110.L._AA240_.jpg

Clarabelle's big suprise? He could talk---"Goodby Kids"

Rap
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:53 am
@farmerman,
Laughing Laughing

Great way to start the day...with yukks
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:57 am
@panzade,
This was not intended to be funny, unless you like to stand and gawk at tragedies and laugh. You heartless SOuthern person.
panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:20 am
@farmerman,
actually, I find your critical writing slightly erotic

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mGqTbDex1Ts/R765ti6uUrI/AAAAAAAAAD0/Nh4ICa8jPII/s1600/Howdy%2BDoody%2BTime%2B(cover).bmp
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:24 am
@panzade,
JEEZUS, you get turned on by Clarabell and Buff Bob hooking up? Not that theres anything wrong with that.

You wanna hear about Wilbur and Mr ED? also very sad.

PS your link didnt open
panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:26 am
@farmerman,
the picture?...it works for me...you got different settings?...
so's Mrs FM don't worry bout you cruisin the net?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:28 am
@farmerman,
Willbuuuuur...your hands are coooold
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:02 am
Thank for all the information NOT<grin>.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 07:26 pm
@BillRM,
This may not be suitable for sensitive people and children, but here is the forensics shot of H Doody when he finally committed suicide in 1978. The autopsy showed that he was engaged in auto erotic activities and probably got off too late.

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif
Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 09:20 am
@farmerman,
Howdy's brother was not Rudie. It was Double Doody.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 09:22 am
@farmerman,
blasphemy!
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 09:30 am
@panzade,
he said doody

Double Doody was just a nicknme (sort of like the name "Trip" for someone who is THE THIRD). There was Heidi, , who was Howdy's crack whore sister, and then Roody (Doub), who had his own demons.

For real trivia fns, a cast member who was beginning a career in show business appeared on the Doodeyville ensemble. Who was this (later) famous person and who was the character this soon to be famous person portrayed?
panzade

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 09:38 am
lets all wave bye bye

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 10:01 am
@panzade,
WOW Clarabelle sounds like EriCCartman.
He is the reason that Im still afraid of clowns. My granmom made me sit and watch this how when I was in diapers and I still remember the mayhem and evil that the clown pepred . It still sends shivers up my spine.

I wont even go to a circus where theres a large cluster of clowns. Once there was a clown who was hired to walk around a juroied craft fair that my wife was in. I got into an altercation with the clown because he kept shadowing me and I found it really annoying. I walked up to him and started smearing his face paint and he was gonna punch me out, and things deteriorated from there. We were both taken to the fair manager and were warned about causing any mayhem around kids. So we kept our distances and he (Cecil B. D. Clown), redid his greasepaint and went on terrorising others at the show. He was an evil dick head.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 10:08 am
@farmerman,
Was it William Shatner? Or do you mean Captain Kangaroo as the first Clarabell? Maybe something else?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 10:16 am
@farmerman,
The fear of clowns is referred to as coulrophobia. It seems that a children's tv program has a profound effect on you.

I never found Clarabell to be frightening or evil. To me he was a character the same as the others or even Howdy himself.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 11:00 am
Little Jimmy Wooten

In the early mid fifties my parents had one of the few TV's in the neighborhood we lived in and my momwuld let all the kids congregate in our living room in front of our TV to watch Howdy Doodey.

One day the TV was extremely clear and you could see all of Hoedy's eleven strings, which caught the attention of Little Jimmy Wooten---well he asked my mom "What are those up and down lines running from Howdy's arms and legs and face"

She responded that" Howdy was a marionette, a puppet, and that's how the made Howdy talk and walk.l" and that "Howdy is not real"

Little Jimmy Wooten was crushed and let out a scream as he ran from our living room out the door "No He's Not! Howdy Doody is a real boy, just like me!"

Little Jimmy was crushed and didn't come back to watch Howdy Doody in our living room for almost a week. Mom felt so guilty that she had to entice Little Jimmy Wooten back into the Doodyville throng with ice cream , but I don't think he was ever the same after that,

Rap.
chai2

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 11:17 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

WOW Clarabelle sounds like EriCCartman.
He is the reason that Im still afraid of clowns. My granmom made me sit and watch this how when I was in diapers and I still remember the mayhem and evil that the clown pepred . It still sends shivers up my spine.

I wont even go to a circus where theres a large cluster of clowns. Once there was a clown who was hired to walk around a juroied craft fair that my wife was in. I got into an altercation with the clown because he kept shadowing me and I found it really annoying. I walked up to him and started smearing his face paint and he was gonna punch me out, and things deteriorated from there. We were both taken to the fair manager and were warned about causing any mayhem around kids. So we kept our distances and he (Cecil B. D. Clown), redid his greasepaint and went on terrorising others at the show. He was an evil dick head.

Goddammit that's why I hate clowns too.

They're always getting up in your business being all nasty and sneaky like. If they see that disturbs you they redouble their efforts. Because they're just trying to get you to lighten up and have FUN!!!!

oh.....they don't fool me for a minute.

2 words....John Wayne Gacy.

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:m14Rtbrksi6DIM:http://hiroshimatelegrafen.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/john-wayne-gacy.jpg

oh....and pennywise....

http://www.labuzzblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/pennywise.jpg