Options for landing myself a job

brahmin

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:57 pm
Hi everyone.

I will be getting a masters degree in management late this year (november-ish).
I am legally allowed to work in the usa for 1-2 years (i will come to know exactly how long when i receive my OPT)
In the meanwhile i would like to do as much spadework as possible and apply to all the right places.

thing is in this downturn economy there are very few sectors which are hiring and even then the first preference obviously goes to Americans. Whats more companies in usa usually dont hire people before the holiday season ends - in February-ish.

So I want to ask -

1) which sectors are still robust - i suppose the FMCG sectors, education sector, and basically all lower end (low cost) sectors are doing ok, but high end industries (travel agencies, hotels) and support industries (software and accounting/finance etc) have taken a hit. Could you name some other sectors which are still healthy?

2) apart from websites like monster.com, what are the other channels of applying?? contacting the companies directly (emailing them my resume) ?? are there job placement agencies here that could help, for like 1 month's salary as their fee?

3) any other advice you would like to give me. I am actually good at writing/things creative, and would really like to join the print or preferably the electronic media.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,688 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:06 pm
@brahmin,
brahmin wrote:
1) which sectors are still robust - i suppose the FMCG sectors, education sector, and basically all lower end (low cost) sectors are doing ok, but high end industries (travel agencies, hotels) and support industries (software and accounting/finance etc) have taken a hit. Could you name some other sectors which are still healthy?

Loan modification is hot.

Quote:
2) apart from websites like monster.com, what are the other channels of applying?? contacting the companies directly (emailing them my resume) ?? are there job placement agencies here that could help, for like 1 month's salary as their fee?

Many companies will have a way to contact them directly about employment opportunities, and some are always looking. If you have any in particular in mind get in touch with their HR departments and at the very least leave your resume on file.

And yes there are a ton of employment agencies but they generally charge more than 1 month, and not to you, they charge the employer typically. They are all over the job boards as well, and in fact if you post a resume you might find more of these agencies responding than employers themselves.

Quote:
3) any other advice you would like to give me. I am actually good at writing/things creative, and would really like to join the print or preferably the electronic media.

Look far and wide, there are dozens of websites you should be on, not just monster.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:56 am
1. Google "job search website" plus where you want to work plus generic stuff about what you want to do, and you'll find other websites for looking for work.
2. Research companies, e. g. figure out in general where you want to work. Just wanting to work in, say, banking, is nice, but if you specifically know you want to work for Wells Fargo it's even better. For any company that interests you, you can then go to that company's own site and click on careers (or work for us or whatever they've named their job search link). Don't just apply through them that way, try to get contact names. These are the people with the openings.
3. Another way to look at companies: Fortune Magazine. They put out a Fortune 500 every year. These are the largest American companies. Not necessarily the best places to work (or even hiring) but discussions about the big companies will lead you to info about smaller companies.
4. Research locations; e. g. where are the jobs? Are they in New England? The South? The West? The Heartland? Which states have the least unemployment? Which are trending to having less unemployment (even if they have a lot right now)? What industries are where?
5. Good old fashioned newspapers, either online or on paper, can give you excellent information on the financial health of an area and the industries in it. Everything from the ads (whose ads are the biggest? Who even advertises at all?) to the articles to the opinion pieces can provide clues.
6. Industry magazines can also be helpful. For example, if I was looking for a legal job, I'd look in the ABA Journal. Their articles would give me ideas of which areas are hiring. Their ads would give me ideas for peripheral ways to get work, e. g. through legal software companies or the like. And I'd have something to talk about in a job interview. What's the big industry publication for your field?
7. Last but not least: NETWORK!
It cannot be stressed enough. Talk to everyone you know. Ask to be introduced to anyone who can possibly help you. And the most unexpected people may be able to help you. You never know when someone's cousin is working for the company where you want to work. So talk to people!
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:36 pm
thanks a lot both of you. I shall start doing what you suggested as soon as the summer session is over - next week.

Just one question. I cant join loan modifications. i am not a commerce/accounts/finance guy. I am more like a people skills/communications based management student. so could you suggest some sectors which I could realistically aim to fit into (sectors which are still hiring in this bad economy).

thanks.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 10:38 am
i heard from someone in NY that one of the industries that habitually perk up during the Christmas season is the advertisement industry (the other is retail).

could someone tell me how to find out about the names of some of the top ad companies in usa. i would also like to send forced resumes to all ent media (like nbc universal) and news agencies. is there a way to access centralized into about the same.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 09:11 pm
please help me
0 Replies