JPB

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:36 am
@Setanta,
We had a bacon fat tin in the refrigerator and used it for most frying needs (as well as the best peanut butter cookies). We also had a couple cans of used crisco -- one for fish, one for deep frying anything that wasn't fish. Oh, and lard -- there was usually a block of lard for pie crusts. Butter/margerine were available for popcorn, toast, mashed potatoes, vegetables. There was more fat in our refrigerator than food and yet I was beanpole thin as a child. Now that I'm careful about the fat I eat I weigh more than I've ever weighed. Go figure...
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:41 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Uhm . . . not that bacon, George . . . the other kind . . .

http://www.thekevinbacongame.com/photos/450px-Kevin_Bacon_by_David_Shankbone.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:46 am
You're getting closer, George, but you're still not quite there . . .
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:50 am
I love bacon. It's the best.

We get ours from a local farmer guy, he raises and slaughters 'em himself and serves em up at the farmer's market the next day. Usually with a sign saying 'formerly Cupcake, now 6.99 a pound' or something like that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:54 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You're getting closer, George, but you're still not quite there . .

http://obswww.unige.ch/~bartho/EAAE/L3/l3_fig7.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:37 am
Uhm, George . . . we're not talkin' about long pork here . . .
George

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:59 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Uhm, George . . . we're not talkin' about long pork here . . .

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/jefferson_papers/images/3b37480.jpe
0 Replies

lastmixradio

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:14 pm
I LOVE bacon! Has anyone ever tried Bacon Salt? It's amazing...vegan, low calorie, etc. It's like the anorexic's dream. But seriously, I use it on my salads and it's delicious! But of course, I do like REAL bacon too.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:36 pm
@dyslexia,
what about back bacon, eh?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 09:39 pm
I know someone who makes bacon vodka for use in bloody marys.
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 05:53 pm
vodka bacon sounds good!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 06:02 pm
I even like Kevin's grandfather (not sure of that, but family), Edmund Bacon.

On the meat, a lot of specialty meats taste weird to me now, including any locally available prosciutto, pancetta, or american bacon. Basically, they all taste sort of terrible. May be me (older) or the meat (which I just bet is the case). I reminisce sauteeing real pancetta. I figure it is all since the euro rules, whatever they are.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 06:10 pm
@plantress,
Here you go...

http://www.browniepointsblog.com/2008/01/20/homemade-bacon-vodka/
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 06:12 pm
How 'bout some bacon brittle?

Bacon Brittle
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 cup crispy cooked bacon, in bits (about 12 oz. uncooked bacon)
Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:56 pm
@dyslexia,
Any bacon would be better than the things they served in my recent medic incarceration. Grease strips with bits of unknown substance on them.

And don't mentioning eggs again they sicken me to even smell. Don't believe me? Then ask the staff of the nursing home and how they had to clean things up many times. I used to like eggs.

I will keep my ears open to seeing any one who does their own baconing and let you knw.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 05:00 pm
@Sturgis,
That's interesting, Sturgis. I was thinking about this the other day, because I am exceptionally picky about how I like, or don't like, my eggs, and much other food. If I were hospitalized for a long time, or in a convalescent or nursing home, I'd probably approach starving before I'd relent and eat, if I would. Either that or I'd have to take over the kitchen, which I trust they don't let a patient do.

Gadzooks - I'm still crazy happy to see you back.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
This is all too bad, really. I remember working in my late teens, in the late fifties/early sixties, in a hospital that had terrific food - St. John's in Santa Monica. Things seem to have changed, even radically, from what I hear from friends who have been patients recently (not at St. John's, and I've no idea how their food is now, but at other facilities.)
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 05:58 pm
HA, has anyone tried bacon salt as advertized at the bottom of this page.
NickFun

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:09 pm
@Sglass,
It's Tyson chicken strips now SGlass. Someday I may try both. But only because I am influenced heavily by the media.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 07:53 pm
@Sturgis,
Flying Pig Farms sells amazing pork products at the Greenmarket in Union Square.

Quote:
"This will cure what ails ya," said the big, bearded guy at Flying Pigs Farm booth, a humanely-bred pork purveyor, as he handed me a toothpick-pierced cluster of sizzling, golden brown sausage flecked with fresh herbs. It was crunchy on the outside, moist and melty on the inside. Oh boy.

http://goodamericanwife.blogspot.com/2007/03/flying-pig-brats.html

http://www.baconunwrapped.com/2008/03/bacon-wrapped-big-apple-flying-pigs.html

Quote:
Flying Pigs Farm is a family run farm that specializes in rare heritage breeds of pigs. The pigs are allowed to roam freely around the farm's fields and forests, which the owners believe results in a higher quality meat. But don't just take the owners' word for it - several restaurants around Manhattan also believe in the quality of Flying Pigs Farm products, including Craft, Fiamma, and Gramercy Tavern.

A pound of Flying Pigs Farm bacon is slightly more expensive than your average pound of bacon from the corner butcher. But the quality more than pays for itself.

the 'big, bearded guy' is a pal of mine from a food forum (not so big and bearded these days). He works at the Flying Pigs stand when he's ashore occasionally.

Their bacon is old-fashioned, home-cured bacon. Sometimes it sells out quite early in the day, so you've gotta be on the ball to get some.
0 Replies