How do I extract a coin blocking the drain in my washing machine's tub?

DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:32 pm
The washer has caused two minor floods now, so it was time to investigate.

It turns out that there is a coin (feels like a quarter) in the tub, which apparently covers the drain when the water is flowing out. I must only partially block the drain, because small loads run fine.

The washer is top loader. There is a rotating drum inside of a slightly larger, stationary tub. The stationary tub has the drain hose attached. After removing the drain hose, I could reach in and feel the coin; the coin is loose and I can move it with my finger.

Anyone know how to remove the inner drum without completely dismantling the entire washer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 7,688 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by DrewDad
DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:33 pm
Also, I'm thinking of just squirting some epoxy in there to keep the coin away from the drain.... Thoughts?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:52 pm
@DrewDad,
No epoxy. If you make a mistake you may have to buy a new washer.
Swimpy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:02 pm
@DrewDad,
Is the coin dry? You might try putting some chewing gum on the end of a pencil and using that to grasp the coin.
0 Replies

Butrflynet
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:03 pm
@DrewDad,
What make and model washer is it? Once we know, we can find an online repair manual for it that will describe what you need to do to gain access to it.

Another idea would be to place something very sticky (bubble gum?) on the end of a strong wire like a coat hanger, and fish the coin out that way. We used to do that when we were kids and wanted to fish coins from under the grate of the drain in the gutters.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:11 pm
Thanks, all.

I found the online repair manual here.

Currently working through the instructions to remove the inner drum; the agitator is on there good.

I may try the gum suggestion, since I've removed the tub cover and gasket, now, and I have a gap between the inner and outer tubs. Was going to try a telescoping magnet, but it appears that quarters don't contain ferrous metal (or enough ferrous metal to be attractive to my magnet).
DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

No epoxy. If you make a mistake you may have to buy a new washer.

That was my second thought, after getting over my desperation at the thought of dismantling the entire washer. Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:17 pm
@DrewDad,
This might be of help to you for removing pieces to gain access to the drain:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-repair-a-washing-machine.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:41 pm
@DrewDad,
They make a tool for picking up trash, coins and the like out of garbage disposers. Don't recall what it is called, but if it can reach the coin, it can extract it. The local hardware store may have one.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:43 pm
I got it out, after removing the agitator and washtub. Turned out to be one of those plasticized cardboard buttons that go in a bottle cap.

Grr...

No idea how it got there; opening up the washer showed me exactly how much they protect that gap between the tubs.

Now, where do I go to buy rubber grommet/washers to put around the bolts holding the washtub to the hub? The old ones disintegrated when I removed the bolts.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:59 pm
@DrewDad,
Home Depot will probably have them. Take the old part with you to match up with a new one to get the right size and thickness.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:32 pm

Coming to this thread late, I was going to suggest:

Get a small-diameter flexible length of rubber tube or similar, fiddle one end onto the "coin" or obstruction, put the other end in your mouth, and suck. After a few tries, you should be able to bring out the coin on the end of the tube.

Well, it would be fun trying. After you've fitted your new grommets on the bolts, drop another disc in there and give it a try.
0 Replies