BEST WAY TO DESTROY A HARD DRIVE

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 10:18 am
@High Seas,
Yes, my question was most certainly capably answered and I appreciate all who contributed. And I learned a lot too.
beschoice

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 08:44 am
@Foxfyre,
The best and safest way is to easily remove the hard drive..Every thing you ever did on the computer is on the Hard Drive...Simply remove it...Naturally, first..turn off your power....

Beschoice
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:07 am
@Foxfyre,
You know that Secretary of Defense Gates had his e-mail hacked, a couple of years ago? Things have improved somewhat, I gather, but online security will never be perfect, so another way to protect data confidentiality is to keep it on disks never linked to the web.

In addition you may look up somewhat more advanced search terms, in case you are interested: "program obfuscation" and "key-exposure resilient cryptography." Of course these techniques would have to be applied before the data is actually saved on the disk. Btw, I loved the term "program 'obfuscation'", and I conscientiously had it spelled for me, thinking maybe it's some obscure technical term meaning something different from the everyday meaning of the word, but nah! it means exactly the same.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 11:28 pm
@High Seas,
I have an exterior hard drive that I use to back up our critical files, HighSeas, but the reality of our high tech world these days is that there is less and less option to work without making our data accessible to the internet. When ElStud and I first started up our little business years ago, our product was almost all hand written or we used a typewriter to punch out narratives as needed. As the requirements of the business gradually required more and more computer work we ran the computer software and printed out the product and mailed it in which also was low risk securitywise. But the last few years that option was no longer available to us as our clients required more and more work completed and transmitted electronically so that we are now essentially a paperless operation.

Also it is really tough to resist the temptation to use the import capabilities for investment accounts and other features in our accounting system and the convenience of online banking.

So we just hope our firewalls and other security are efficient and effective.
High Seas

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 02:18 pm
@Foxfyre,
OK, here's a simple, free way to really delete old files: download CCleaner>
http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=2.21.940&l=1033
> go to Options, choose Settings, look to "secure deletion" choices, pick Gutmann.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 07:35 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

You can play around with a screwdriver, open the enclosure, take the disks out and bend them so their data will be almost irrecoverable.

In addition, you can take out the powerful magnets inside, they are really useful..

Were solid state drives even a thing back then? Sure they likely existed but weren't commercially available to the public as they are now.

The point of my belated rebuttal is that hard drives no longer have the spinning platter which could be physically removed from its place in the hard drive and shattered into becoming unreadable.

Just curious ... on how the best way to destroy solid state drives....
McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 08:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Magnet, hammer, microwave oven, bullets, rotary saw...
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 08:58 pm
Toss it into one of the gun threads.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 09:16 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Toss it into one of the gun threads.

Don't be cruel, the hard drive is innocent.
Glennn

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 09:38 pm
@McGentrix,
Fair enough. Good point. But it's also true that the hard drive should have thought twice about the ramifications of its existence before taking the job. It's not my fault that it didn't consider the possibility that I might appreciation certain websites that my wife would not appreciate.

To the gun thread with it.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 09:46 pm
@Glennn,
The hard drive has no say in the decision to be in Krugman's laptop and was merely a victim of circumstance.
Glennn

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 09:54 pm
@McGentrix,
It is probably the case that, before accepting it's position, the hard drive was told very little about very much about the potential for its destruction at the hands of its owner. And I feel bad about that, if that counts for anything.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 10:02 pm
Curiosity got the best of me...

If you’re getting rid of an SSD for whatever reason, the process is simple, encrypt it first, format it, and if you want to be super careful, encrypt it again. You can find encryption tools online and are included with most OS's.

Otherwise, it is suggested to use a shredder or cruncher to be sure every chip is destroyed.
0 Replies