Would a robin stay on a nest if the babies are dead?

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:24 am
We had a really brutally cold night last night -- frost warning and everything (though as far as I can tell it didn't actually get to below freezing). There is a robin's nest up against our house that I've been keeping an eye on. We pissed off the momma bird yesterday by doing yardwork in her vicinity -- she kept fluttering around and glaring at us. I was worried that she wouldn't be on her eggs/ nest enough, given the temperatures.

This morning I've been checking -- the mom robin is there sometimes. I checked carefully to make sure she wasn't around (I know her usual spots) and grabbed the digital camera and took a picture. (I can't see the inside of the nest, but if I reach up the camera can "see" it.) Inconclusive, and I don't want to bother the nest any more.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/babyrobins.jpg

They seem to have hatched, but I can't tell whether they're OK. The robin has been on the nest every time I've checked since I took the pic.

I can't listen for cheeping of course and won't be able to 'til sozlet gets home this afternoon... (I know I can just wait, but I keep thinking about this so thought I'd ask.)

View best answer, chosen by sozobe
farmerman
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:38 am
@sozobe,
dont be too inquisitive. Id put a piece of black cloth or something like that to give some more privacy. They seem to be ok from your color balance. Theyd be bluish if they were dead.

Just give em space and dont "Love em to death" The mother is the main warmth they have for a few weeks as their surface areas decrease and they develop insulating feathers. I dont know why finches have almost naked babies and running birds (like chickens) young are all covered with down. COuld it be that the down covered young have to be ready to run rom when they are born?

Weve got several bluebird boxes with chicks. THeyre all mouth
sozobe

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:43 am
@farmerman,
OK, that's reassuring, thanks!

It's a corner of the house where they usually have complete privacy. (By a door we never use.) I'm confident the mom bird didn't see me take the pic, I won't do anything else. No more yardwork needs to be done over there.

Temps are supposed to be better from here... still chilly tonight but on the order of 40's, not 30's.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:45 am
Sometimes they live, sometimes they die. Give them the space they need to do what they were born to do.

If birth mortality rates for birds were kept i think you would find them surprisingly high.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:12 am
It is natural for them to be silent, in the ordinary course of events.
In 1969, I had a robin 's nest in my backyard.
The mother bird built her nest in my rosebush.
I watched the 3 babies grow to the size of their mother,
rendering it very crowded in their nest. Thay had no room to move.

I approached too closely, whereupon thay abruptly abandoned their nest
and began smacking me in the head, for a few moments.
I was not able to explain that I was the landowner and ergo, their host.
Thay never returned to their nest.

David
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 04:22 pm
Glanced over at the nest from a goodly distance away while doing other things -- four fuzzy little heads sticking out with mouths WIDE open! Yay. (Didn't stay long.)
dlowan

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 04:56 pm
@sozobe,
YEEHAWWWW!!!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 05:52 pm

I have cardinals n bluejays visit my backyard.

David
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:46 pm
@sozobe,
We had sparrows in a nest under our roof. I would always sneak a peek when I could, though usually the nest was up high and very hard to reach, so I had to "see" with my camera also. Smile I wonder what I've done with those pictures..? They were darling.

Plus, three times, I've found baby birds that have either fallen out of a tree or I rescued it from the claws of a cat, and I raised them myself.

Those memories will stay with me forever. Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:55 pm

I have rescued birds from cats too, sometimes mine.
RadAndRandom

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 05:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Were they all alive when your rescued them?
My cats have never caught a bird... they are such sweethearts, I don't even know why they listen to me the way they do, but if I shake my finger back and forth and say, "No no no", they stop wagging their tail in the haunched-over predator position and go distract themselves with something else.
After several times of doing that, now they just raise their head to look at a bird, but don't even attempt to hunt for them.. Therefore, no rescuing crippled birds from my cats.
Only the neighbors cats or strays...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@RadAndRandom,
RadAndRandom wrote:

Were they all alive when your rescued them?
Yes, but dazed for a while.
RadAndRandom

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's good to hear!
I'm surprised actually..
Some cats are vicious..
Once, I chased my neighbor's cat across the street til I took the hummingbird out its mouth. It died in my hand. Sad
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 12:25 am
@RadAndRandom,
Commonly, thay were in a state of shock.
I gave them some time to relax n calm down n then fly away.
Sometimes, I let them sleep it off.
RadAndRandom

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Aw. Cuteness.
How many times have you saved birds?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:34 am
@RadAndRandom,
RadAndRandom wrote:
Aw. Cuteness.
How many times have you saved birds?
Maybe around 3 or 4 times.

Sometimes, I have put him into a shoebox for a while
to get some sleep n calm down when he is too shocked
to fly away. After a while I woke him up, took him out,
and gave him a micro-tap in his little avian behind to get him to fly away.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:41 am
@RadAndRandom,
U have a good stegosaurus; he looks friendly.

Welcome to the forum!

David
RadAndRandom

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ooooh? That's a stegosaurus? Hahah. I didn't know. Niceee. Now I can explain what it is when people ask. Smile
& thanks for the welcome!

And aww, well that's considerate..
After saving a bird once, I saw the bird fly so irregularly that it crashed into a wooden fence.
Guess I should have given it a rest too.
0 Replies

cdirollo1

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 05:30 pm
@sozobe,
I have found a robins nest and saw four beautiful blue eggs. Now, this morning the birds have hatched. I am concerned about the frost. Any advice?
0 Replies