Internet Explorer 8, for Windows XP

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 07:48 am
Has anyone upgraded to this yet? I was wondering if there's any point to upgrading from IE7. Are there any problems?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,605 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 09:00 am
@Reyn,
I upgraded but as I use firefox I really have no experience with IE8
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 09:01 am
@Reyn,
The Security now podcast people claim that it might be a little earily to up grade to 8 as security holes are normally found in such programs in the first few months of it being widely used.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 10:34 am
@Reyn,
I upgraded several days ago and posted a question about the accelerators here:

http://able2know.org/topic/131911-1

I am finding it to be a lot slower than IE 7. I think it is due to all the new filters they've created in an effort to make the browser more secure.

IE 8 also has conflicts with several programs on my PC, Skype being one of them. It required deletion of Skype's quick launch icon in the task bar and reinstalling Skype did not remedy the situation. It is still useable, but I have to go to the start menu to launch it now.

I don't really understand the purpose for the Suggested Sites or Web Slice Gallery yet and am not using them. To me, they seem to be nothing but usage tracking devices designed to overcome the cookie blocking most users invoke.

Once you get used to using them, you'll like the accelerators, especially for sites like Digg, Facebook, Stumble It, etc.

There are accelerators for many types of sites. You can view a list of them here:

http://www.ieaddons.com/en/

And further reviews and descriptions of the new IE 8 features here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_8

The new features do not make up for the slowness of it. If I can't figure out how to overcome the slowness, I'll probably be reverting back to IE 7 soon.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 10:39 am
@Butrflynet,

This is a good review to read:

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/090402/#story1

An April 2, 2009, review by the editor and network engineer Mark Joseph Edwards in the newsletter Windows Secrets said:

Excerpt:

Quote:
For years, Internet Explorer's page rendering has caused major headaches for Web developers and users alike. Some pages that look and function as designers intended in Firefox, Opera, and other third-party browsers have their layouts broken when rendered by Internet Explorer. IE 8 makes an effort to improve compatibility but ultimately falls short... There's no doubt that IE 8 is a much better browser than IE 7. Nevertheless, it's still inferior to Firefox and other alternatives. As to whether you should upgrade to IE 8 now or later, my advice is to use Firefox instead of either version.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 02:31 pm
Thank you for the info. I myself am figuring at least to hold off in the short run. I'm not a big fan of change with or PC. There has to be a real good reason, in my opinion.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 03:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
It's enormously slow on my computer.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 08:32 pm
Can't say as I found it slow. It did fix a few things that I was having problems with in IE 7. The compatibility button is a great feature. I use it on a particular site where I get reports and the reports did not show properly. Clicking the compatibility button on this site corrects the problem immediately.

I like IE 8
Reyn

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 01:04 pm
@Intrepid,
So, you're recommending?
Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 05:13 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

So, you're recommending?

Just stating my experience. May be different for some. All in all, I can't see any reason not to go with it.
Reyn

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 05:40 pm
@Intrepid,
Thanks. I'm just a bit concerned due to the mixed reviews I've been reading up on.
0 Replies