Grilled Cheese Fest, now there's an idea

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 04:58 pm
Link to LA Times - License to Grill

Short clip -
Grilled Cheese Invitational draws cheesy fanatics
Elina Shatkin, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

Dotted with crumbs and dripping with oil, the field of battle was left soiled and strewn with casualties -- cheese rinds, stale crusts, splatters of mustard -- a thousand miniature monuments to the epic struggle that had occurred Saturday afternoon at Los Angeles State Historic Park.

A total of 246 gladiators of the grill faced off at the 2009 Grilled Cheese Invitational, and in the heat of battle, a new champion was born. Heidi Gibson, a winner at a recent Grilled Cheese Invitational in Northern California, earned two prizes for Scent of a Lady, a sandwich featuring Italian Fontina, smoked Idiazabal, roasted butternut squash, bacon, prosciutto, caramelized onions and sage on pane rustica. With her previous wins, Gibson brought her trophy total to six, beating record holders Evan George and Alex Brown of Hot Knives. In her acceptance speech, Gibson revealed that she plans to open a grilled cheese restaurant and asked the crowd to suggest a name.

Other winners included Michael Davidson in Missionary Position with Grandma's Glory!; Brad Combs in Kama Sutra with Pelian's Lament (Roquefort, brie, rabbit confit, braised pear and Cointreau marmalade); and Brian Beecher and Crystal Carlsberg in Honey Pot with Cake & Mivens 2: Mivens Princes (double-cream Brie, either marzipan or mascarpone and a secret ingredient they refused to reveal).
end/clip

So, do you have any grilled cheese sandwich favorites?[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,959 • Replies: 7

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 05:02 pm
I love grilled cheese!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 05:09 pm
@ossobuco,
a grilled cheese fest would have to be in Wisconsin
<sigh>
awesome cheese in Wisconsin
and mustard
amazing mustard
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 05:21 pm
@ehBeth,
I dunno 'bout that have to be... northern california is a pretty cheesy place.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 08:01 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
a grilled cheese fest would have to be in Wisconsin

You mean, like the little garden around Occom Bill's Cedarburg restaurant? If I remember correctly, that would be a really nice place for grilling cheese.

ossobuco wrote:
I dunno 'bout that have to be... northern california is a pretty cheesy place.

Plus, it has the after-BBQ weed to deal with any giggling shortage at the party.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 11:00 pm
@Thomas,
That's called the Humboldt Fog...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 11:33 am
still the best idea ...

today it was melted gouda on open-faced herb buns - a spoon of chunky salsa on top of each section
roger

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 12:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Salsa? Yep. I'm sure you can guess what kind of sliced cheese I use, but put a slice on the bread, sliced tomato on the cheese, drizzle some salsa over the tomato, and put another slice of cheese over the salsa to kind of seal it in. This thing needs to cook much slower than a normal grilled cheese sandwich. You're counting on the upper piece of cheese to begin to melt before you flip it.

Careful with the hot tomato. It can cause a painful burn if you get too aggressive with it.
0 Replies