Seeking work in Scotland

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:22 am
Hello everybody Surprised)

I am a 28 year old woman and I would like to work in Scotland. I don'T really know much about it but I read some books and the landscape looks beautiful and the people seem to be very welcoming and hospitable.

I recently made some changes in my life and I believe a change of scenery would be best + I have always wanted to live in Scotland just never had the guts to do do it.

Unfortunately I don't know anybody over there and therefore will not have much help moving and finding a place. It is all up to me to arrange these things but I am looking forward to it.

So my question is if anyone knows how I can find the biggest companies there to send my cv to and how the jobmarket is at the moment. Can you recommend some jonsites were I could look? Also, how is the rent over there? I'm sure it depends on location but maybe you guys can help me out a little. It would be nice to get as much information as possible.

Thank you so much for your help.

Anne
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,605 • Replies: 13
No top replies

saab

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:27 am
@dreamzcometrue,
Are you an American?
First you need to find a job -
If you do find one, you need a working permit to work within EU.
Maybee this can be of help for you

http://www.jobseekersadvice.com/working_abroad/articles/working_in_scotland.htm
dreamzcometrue

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:33 am
@saab,
No I am german. So the working permit doesn't apply for me right?
0 Replies

dreamzcometrue

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:33 am
@saab,
Oh, sorry, thanks for the link Smile
saab

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:45 am
@dreamzcometrue,
No, the visa should not be necessary within EU.
What kind of work are you doing now?
dreamzcometrue

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:49 am
@saab,
I was working for an engineering contractor for the last year as a project/management assistant but projects got cancelled and so the staff had to go too unfortunately. Now I am doing an SAP course which will hopefully help me out in the job market. I am actually a foreign language correspondent clerk. I speak german, english, spanish and portuguese
saab

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 11:59 am
@dreamzcometrue,
Try to get a job as language correspondance or teaching German. Sometimes native speakers are in demand.
dreamzcometrue

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 12:20 pm
@saab,
That would be great if I could get a job like that. I will be looking hard because I would really like to go to Scotland. Thanks so much for your help Smile
hamburger

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:07 pm
@dreamzcometrue,
dreamer :

why don't you try GOOGLE , such as SCOTLAND+FIND A JOB - it might point you in the right direction .
you might also contact the british embassy or a british consulate in germany - perhaps they might have some info .

or just hop over there for a few days and see for yourself .
plenty of reasonably priced flights seem to be available .
and you can stay in a youth-hostel cheaply , but you might want to buy your membership in germany .

see here : http://www.jugendherberge.de/de/

just make sure you DO NOT pay anyone a single EURO for finding you a job - most of these agencies are scam artists who only want your money .
most "head hunters" are actually paid handsomely by the corporations looking for applicants .
good luck .
hbg
dreamzcometrue

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 01:24 pm
@hamburger,
thanks a lot. See that is stuff I didn't know.
saab

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:07 pm
@dreamzcometrue,
I would go for a B&B in Scotland, there you would meet the "natives" who might be able to get you tips about where to look for a job.
Youthhostels can be awful........
I had to stay one night - should have been three - in a youthhostel. They did not even have a readinglamp so I spent a whole evening sitting on the loo preparing my work for the next day.
On top of it it was more expensive than the hotel I took.
My daughter who has been touring most of GB always uses B&Bs
saab

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:17 pm
@dreamzcometrue,
Just checked a B&B in Edinburgh and the price was between 35 - 50
The youthhostel in the centre was 56 for a twin bedded when used as a single room. Then add breakfast - full English was something like 4.50
I am sure you donĀ“t want to share a room with strangers.
dreamzcometrue

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:42 pm
@saab,
Hey grea tip thanks. I was thinking about staying in a youth hostel but I wasn't so sure. If B&B's are the same price I would rather stay in one of those.

Thanks!
0 Replies

dreamzcometrue

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:43 pm
@saab,
Yeah, no, I really don't want to share a room with strangers Smile
0 Replies