"Annie Hall" and "Manhattan" - my two favourite Woodies!

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 02:56 am
Yes - I know the early ones are great - and I know it is fashionable to deride Mr Allen - but I love many of his films - especially these two.

Annie Hall because it is so funny and real - the "she thinks/she says" "he thinks/he says" scene - meeting the "homunculus" ex - the lobsters - the spider in the bath - the black soap - the splitting of the political buttons - what are your favourites?

Manhattan - the cinematography, the MUSIC!

What do you think of these films?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,088 • Replies: 33
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 05:10 am
I'm not a big fan of Manhattan - I always thought Mariel Hemingway was weird in it and now, knowing re Soon-Yi etc. the whole thing seems even stranger to me.

But Annie Hall, ahhhh.

The lobsters scene is just fantastic, but I also love where Woody and friend (ack, I've forgotten the actor's name) are about to drive somewhere and the friend is wearing a full-body protection suit. Woody wants to know if they'll be driving through radiation. The friend replies, "It keeps out the alpha rays. You never get old." Dunno why but that line always slays me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 05:25 am
Annie Hall, classic Woody. Also one of my favorites. Manhattan I thought was a bit weak. I still love some of the early stuff too. Bananas always cracks me up.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 05:33 am
Jes - that was Elliot Gould, no? And it was when Woody visited LA! The suit, I mean.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:04 am
I looked it up - Tony Roberts, another guy with a fantastically low voice.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:21 am
Christopher Walken in Annie Hall is brilliant.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:23 am
Sleeper, with the Orgasmatron. That was great.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:33 am
First time I saw Annie Hall we came to the theater late... finally went in after arguing at length about whether or not to go at all since we'd missed the beginning. It was hilarious in retrospect because of the scene in the movie. We'd gone with a friend who had seen the movie before and wanted us to see it too. She appeared to love every second of that argument outside. I almost wonder if she didn't plan it so we WERE late!

After that movie everyone in Seattle was looking for old men's vests & bowler hats in the second-hand stores. I still love that style.

I didn't much care for Manhattan (Mariel Hemingway was weird), but I loved Hannah and Her Sisters. Dianne Wiest was marvelous, especially in that scene with her teenager's photographs.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:34 am
It's strange, I remember liking Hannah and Her Sisters, but for the life of me, I can't remember a thing about the movie now.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:41 am
Annie stands out, don't it?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:44 am
Well, it's a film where not too much happens. It's a story about three sisters inter-relationships that include difficulties in lifestyles, philandering husbands & odd love relationships... Woody Allen is an ex-husband of one sister, ex-bf of another, who maintains a relationship with the family anyway and is as charmingly weird as usual.

Here's the Rotten Tomatoes website about it:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/HannahandHerSisters-1009156/
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:53 am
Thanks Piffka, it's coming back to me now, sorta. Yes bunny, Annie definitely stands out. I would go so far as to say it was his best film, but I am sure someone will challenge that.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:59 am
I think Annie was Woody's best. Most of his stuff is a variation on a theme--a neurotic Jewish guy, trying to make a relationship work. I like him with Diane better than Mia.

I thought Woody meeting the Halls was a great part--the Chris Walken car scene always cracks me up.

Therapist: How often do you have sex?
Him: Hardly ever. Two or three times a week.
Her: Constantly. Two or three times a week.

"Did you hear what she said? Did you... Didjoo... Did Jew? Did Jew!! Jew!! I know what she meant!!! Anti-Semite!!"

Great dialogue and observations.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 03:49 pm
I'd add "The Purple Rose of Cairo" for it's the epitome of whimsical and poignant humor. That ending where she ends up back in the theater watching Fred and Ginger just gets me every time.

As far as the outright comedies, can't beat "Sleeper."

"Manhattan" has to be the finest portrait of a city on film. It frames the story and characters which is less important than the milieu. It works.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 04:24 pm
I place "Sleepers" among my favorites if for only one scene; where they find out how the catastrophe came about. "A guy named Shanker got a hold of an atomic bomb." Of course this would not mean too much to the majority of the films viewers who didn't know that Albert Shanker was a very controversial president of the American Federation of Teachers.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:03 pm
I'm a big Woody fan but my absolute fav was Broadway Danny Rose
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:22 am
What, no one like's Bananas or Love and Death? Until Deconstructing Harry came along, those were my favorites.

"Wheat."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:26 am
"Love and Death" is an extremely funny spoof of Ingmar Bergman and one of my favorite Woodies.

Ditto "Deconstructing Harry," the best of the recent films.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:30 am
I forgot about Love and Death....great Bergman parody. Also, I mentioned Bananas earlier. Loved that flick.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:31 am
We must develop the Napoleon before they develop beef Wellington! There will be a pastry gap!
0 Replies