Home Theater vs Historic Theater vs Megaplex

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 02:27 am
Are Movie Theaters Going The Way of The Drive-In?

With the increasing popularity of home theaters, are public movie theaters in danger of going the way of the old fashioned drive-in theater?

If this list of theaters from around the world is any indication, it sure looks like a possibility. The site boasts a database of 30,000 venues world wide.

Histories of Cinemas throughout the World

Are the mega-plex giant corporate theaters helping or hindering?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 929 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 03:28 am
Hmm - well, I consider cinema a whole experience - the going out, the friends, the people, the SHARED experience with an audience, the coffee and chat about the film, or the meal - fun. So - for me, home cinema is a pile of ugly electrics cluttering a room, to ape in relative isolation an experience that ought to be a shared one.

IF I could hide it all away, so it was invisible most of the time, and afford it easily, well, maybe - it would be fun sometimes.

Big complexes? I know little about them - I seldom visit them - I prefer the smaller groups which show non-mass market films - although going to one of those behemoths and seeing a really good popular film with a big crowd can be great fun, too!

I hope the cinema survives the home theatre thingy, just as it did TV.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 04:56 am
last time I went to a megaplex theater we sat through ten minutes of video commercials! Pfui!

On the other hand, just up the street from where I work is an old theater that has been restored... every third seat has been replaced by a low table, and they serve food and beverage... Not the place to see a film the first week it's out, but a good place to pick up on the ones you wanted to see...

Cheap date.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 05:44 am
Hmm- I have availed myself of all three venues. In Tampa, there is a theatre that is part of the National Register of Historic Places.

http://www.tampatheatre.org/history.php

They show old movies, indies, and other films that don't make the regular circuit. Before each show, there is a concert that is played on "the mighty Wurlitzer". Last year, I went to a showing of a silent movie, complete with organ accompaniment! We were instructed to cheer, boo and hiss at the appropriate places. What a hoot!

I have a 20 theatre multiplex that shows all the run of the mill movies. It has stadium seating, which is nice. I will NEVER go to any movie in its first week of release. It is like a zoo in the theatre. Also, as I am retired, I like to catch the twilight show (Starts from 4-6 pm.) The price to get in is cheaper, and the theatre is usually quieter at that time. I don't like lots of crowds.

We don't have a "home theatre" per se, but we do have a 50" TV which is connected to external "medium fi" speakers. We buy a lot of used DVD flicks from Blockbuster. We also have about 1,000 VHS tapes (both bought and copied). It IS nice to watch something whenever you want.

As for my preference, I suppose I like all three, but at different times!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:19 am
Hmmm. If theaters are suffering (?), I'm not entirely sure it's not due to the quality of the movie's they're showing...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 09:04 am
Drive-ins are my favorite :-D
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 09:20 am
The local Krikorian Multiplex just opened and I have been going to more movies (I have Mondays off, so the matinee isn't crowded). Just saw "Secondhand Lion" and I must say that next to my new Mitsubishi Hi Def TV, even though the DVD is only 480 lines, the resolution is far superior to the large screen. I guess only spectacular epics don't fare as well on the small screen but with the small, stadium seating and the image being blown up to what is almost IMAX size, the projection technology will have to improve IMO.
0 Replies