Can you dye champagne

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:21 pm
My son is getting married on July 4 to a lovely girl in the military. They are planning a red/white/blue patriotic wedding and would love to have the champagne toast be red/white/blue. Is there a way to color the champagne that would not affect the taste yet give the fun result of having multi-colors around the tables?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 13,675 • Replies: 21
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:40 pm
Food coloring shouldn't change the taste but I would experiment with it to make sure you get the right color and that you can get it done quickly enough that the champagne doesn't go flat.

You might even try putting a drop or two (or three? I don't know how much it would take) into each glass and pouring the champagne in on top.

You might be able to use pink and regular champagne for the red and white and just worry about dying the blue.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:42 pm
@shafe001,
I don't see why food dye wouldn't work.

The waiters could add the coloring right before going out to pour for the guests.

why not buy yourself a bottle of champagne and experiment with adding to small glasses of bubbly?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:43 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

You might even try putting a drop or two (or three? I don't know how much it would take) into each glass and pouring the champagne in on top.

oh, I like that idea even better.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:11 am
Be careful with blue champagne.
Our eyes are sending a message to the brain.
As noone ever saw blue champagne they might not like to drink it.
It has been tested at a salad bufe where the food had different colours than expected. Noone took it.
Noone wanted blue tomatoes or purple lettuce.
solipsister

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 02:01 am
@saab,
some of these insights are too blue for me
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 02:07 am
But blue Gatorade seems to sell quite well (I do think food coloring is a better idea than using blue gatorade as a mixer, though).
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 02:08 am
If you want white rather than clear, you might try mixing the champagne with coconut milk, tho that does sound a little ghastly.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 02:21 am
Here's a site which categorizes champagne cocktails by color:

http://www.wineintro.com/champagne/cocktails/color/
saab

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 02:29 am
@MontereyJack,
Champagne cocktails do sound better than colouring champagne with food colour.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 10:28 am
@shafe001,
Others have given you great information - I would suggest experimenting first -

Also, I wanted to say - what a great idea and how fun. Best wishes to the couple.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:10 am
@saab,
Plus some food dyes were never meant to be mixed with alcohol - testing is always mandatory in advance when mixing with solvents.

Raspberry (red) and blueberry (blue) juice concentrate should work fine; there's no problem mixing them with alcohol, and most people like the taste. And champagne is naturally white when first poured into a glass, because of the bubbles. Best wishes to the couple Smile
0 Replies

ldj

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:09 am
@shafe001,
http://www.yumsugar.com/394631
I found this article that talks about dye champagne.
0 Replies

ldj

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:14 am
@shafe001,

http://www.yumsugar.com/394631
I found this article that talks about dye champagne.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:53 am
Rather than trying to dye the whole glass of champagne, why not dye frozen ice cubes of colored champagne in various red, white and blues using the suggestions offered here. Then place one or two ice cubes in each champagne glass when the champagne is distributed for the toast.
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:56 am
@Butrflynet,
Sounds like a great idea, but can you freeze champagne? I thought alcohol doesn't freeze, but then again that could be an old wives tale.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 12:00 pm
@Linkat,
it freezes, just gotta be real cold.

champagne is not that high in alcohol content.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 12:14 pm
Multi layered cocktails are difficult to prepare, especially for a number of people.

Champagne is not compatible with all other drinkable preparations used to make these cocktails.

Too low temperatures denature the taste of champagne.

As so, I'd suggest that you just color any individual glass of champagne and present them together in order to obtain the blue, white, red effect:

http://images.craveonline.com/article_imgs/Image/4th_cocktails.jpg
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 12:26 pm
@Francis,
ohhh I like that.
0 Replies

MissSparkle

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:36 pm
How pretty with all of them together. Let us know how it turns out. This is a great idea for a party.
0 Replies