Price range of USB microphone for recording singing?

aperson

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:05 am
I want to record myself singing to put into a track that I am making on FL Studio. I am on Windows XP. Can anyone tell me the price range and/or suggest a model of a USB microphone that I could use to record in reasonably high quality in FL Studio?Someone told me this:"They can go anywhere from $50-500+ for a studio grade USB mic. I used to have one that was amazing for around $150 but i can't seem to remember the name of it. Just Google: studio usb microphoneIt should come up with something that might interest you Smile"Another person told me this:"Digital Arts compared popular USB mics like Rode Podcaster, Samson G-Track, Blue Snowball, Marshall MXL.006 USB with a professional quality microphone"And a third person told me this:"You can get high quality voice recording from a standard voice-over microphone. Go to radio shack and buy a Microphone to 35mm (computer headphone jack) and just plug it in. You will have the high quality format with a fraction of the cost"What do you think of these answers, particularly the last one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 12,406 • Replies: 6
No top replies

aperson

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:14 am
@aperson,
Sorry formatting screwed up for some reason. Stupid new a2k.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 01:04 pm
You don't want the A/D to be in the mic, simply choose a good external digital preamp and a decent recording mic both linked to decent recording software.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 02:19 pm
Go to amazon.com and type USB microphone in the search box to obtain the price ranges and quality options. You get the user reviews and evaluations for free. You might even run across the old one you used to have.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+studio+microphone&sprefix=usb+studio

You can get technical info and reviews from the geeks at CNET.com also.

http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?query=usb+microphone&tag=srch
aperson

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:39 pm
@Chumly,
What?
Chumly

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 01:11 am
@aperson,
USB mics are almost all crap, go for a basic interface box like this one from Line 6

POD Studio™ UX1
http://line6.com/podstudioux1/
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 03:11 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks.
0 Replies