Why the Old A2K was great

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:54 pm
Quote:
The result is polarization and intolerance. Cass Sunstein, a Harvard law professor now working for President Obama, has conducted research showing that when liberals or conservatives discuss issues such as affirmative action or climate change with like-minded people, their views quickly become more homogeneous and more extreme than before the discussion. For example, some liberals in one study initially worried that action on climate change might hurt the poor, while some conservatives were sympathetic to affirmative action. But after discussing the issue with like-minded people for only 15 minutes, liberals became more liberal and conservatives more conservative.

The decline of traditional news media will accelerate the rise of The Daily Me, and we’ll be irritated less by what we read and find our wisdom confirmed more often. The danger is that this self-selected “news” acts as a narcotic, lulling us into a self-confident stupor through which we will perceive in blacks and whites a world that typically unfolds in grays.

So what’s the solution? Tax breaks for liberals who watch Bill O’Reilly or conservatives who watch Keith Olbermann? No, until President Obama brings us universal health care, we can’t risk the surge in heart attacks.

So perhaps the only way forward is for each of us to struggle on our own to work out intellectually with sparring partners whose views we deplore. Think of it as a daily mental workout analogous to a trip to the gym; if you don’t work up a sweat, it doesn’t count.

Now excuse me while I go and read The Wall Street Journal’s editorial page

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/opinion/19kristof.html

A2K once provided this public service, it was a good place to meet and converse. It drew in some very interesting people too, many of whom are now gone or almost gone.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 10:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
May the bird of paradise fly away from hawks with tin ears.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 01:09 am
@ossobuco,
Well, that wasn't very useful as a comment from me. I'll consider the question further, later,
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 02:11 am
@hawkeye10,
I see nothing wrong with a2k present. I would prefer a search function, but there is nothing here to interfere with exchanges of viewpoints, and there are no impediments to usability. Possibly, the problems are within yourself, and I wouldn't mind if you took them somewhere else. Actually, I wish you would.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:49 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I see nothing wrong with a2k present. I would prefer a search function, but there is nothing here to interfere with exchanges of viewpoints, and there are no impediments to usability. Possibly, the problems are within yourself, and I wouldn't mind if you took them somewhere else. Actually, I wish you would.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:56 am
A2K is dead, long live A2K
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:07 am
No what else used to be great? Radio.

It's like, things change or something? And you have to deal with it? Because it happens all the time?

Anyway, I'm going to listen to my iPod now.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:56 am
@Gargamel,
But, but, then you don't get commercials and you don't learn about all those new, great products. You're isolating your intellect!
0 Replies