HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY EVERYBODY!!!!

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:16 am
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY EVERYBODY!!!

http://toons.artie.com/st_patricks/arg-leprechaun-pot-o-gold.gif

So how's everybody spending their day? Any special traditions or plans?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:26 am
Ah, yes, today we celebrate the day, many centuries ago, when St. Patrick donned a green High Life t-shirt, drank himself into oblivian at Johnny O'Hagan's, raised several barely coherent toasts honoring the IRA (once one of most ruthless terrorist organizations in history), smoked a clove cigarette on the Fullerton platform and then puked all over the steps, and was finally hauled to to his dorm room on the shoulders of two friends.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:33 am
@Gargamel,
Charming Gargamel. Smile

I'm afraid we're much more boring though there is an Irish wing in my family and hubby's surname is Irish.

We just have Reuben sandwiches for lunch and try to wear a bit of green so nobody feels inclined to give us a pinch.
eoe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:34 am
Happy Paddy day to you too. Enjoy the green lake.
I made corned beef and cabbage for dinner on Sunday, like my mother used to do, the celebrate the day. Unfortunately, it's just about gone today. Oh well. Very Happy
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:39 am
@eoe,
Mmmm corned beef and cabbage. No time for that for us today I'm afraid. And of course Reuben sandwiches aren't Irish but they are made with corned beef, ergo we figure that's close enough to be traditional. Anyway it's a good excuse to have one. Smile
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 09:08 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Charming Gargamel. Smile

I'm afraid we're much more boring though there is an Irish wing in my family and hubby's surname is Irish.

We just have Reuben sandwiches for lunch and try to wear a bit of green so nobody feels inclined to give us a pinch.

That's more my speed. And I too have the Irish surname (and first and middle name), the red hair, freckles, etc.

Tonight I may cook a stew. Most definitely I will raise a glass of Bushmills on the rocks and spin my old Danny Boy 45--we used to sing it at Family Reunions and wakes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 09:24 am
**** no green on!

I'm in trouble...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 09:39 am
Yay, it's drunk slut day again! It's drunk slut day again!

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:49 pm
Bah, Humbug!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:11 pm
@Foxfyre,
being reminded of staying on hilton head island some years ago .
we went to savannah on the 16th for brunch - downtown was packed with revellers by eleven in the morning !
on the 17th we left for home and went for breakfast about 8 a.m. at the golf club (we are not golfers , but they were happy to serve anyone) .
without even having ordered it , the waitress brought us two mugs of green beer !
i did not want to offend her but had to tell her that beer for breakfast would likely mean i'd be found on I - 95 after having driven the car into the ditch - she was VERY disappointed but understanding - the beer was being served for FREE - sorry i had to pass it up .
hbg
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:20 pm
@hamburger,
Back in the days when I still drank beer, I must confess that even the Irish blood within me could not overcome a reluctance to drink green beer. I just couldn't make myself believe that it looked potable. Smile

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/DNV/DNV238/green-beer-leprechaun_~020225_1338_0015_lshs.jpg

hamburger

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
it wasn't so much the colour ... but 8 in the morning was just a little early ... even for this hard-boiled hamburger .

took a six-pack of guinness to our neighbour's son yesterday (he's 30 years old ) . his mother was telling us around noon that he had already donned his green hat this morning and set of for the pub (he's a PH.D. candidate waiting for his dissertation to be accepted ) Cool Very Happy .
he's a fine fellow who will make sure that the snow does not accumulate too heavily on our driveway .
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 02:57 pm
Hmm, wonder if corned beef will be on sale tomorrow..
I was going to make my own from brisket, but failed to accumulate all the right spices in a timely fashion.

Wonder how mashed potatoes with pesto would be. Probably would taste good and look awful.

On corning beef, here's a link in case anyone else is crazy enough -- http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/corned-beef.aspx?nterms=50240
0 Replies