Dealer "certified" cars...

Sun 15 Mar, 2009 08:23 pm
Seems likely to me that a number of a2k readers might profit from understanding this one....

This is the second time I've seen this one amongst people I associate with at work and it's definitely counter-intuitive unless you take the time to analyze the situation. In the most recent case an associate bought a "certified" used car from a D.C. area Toyota dealership a year and a half or so ago, a Corolla which he paid around 13K for with around 30K miles on it, and for that much money he had an absolute right to think that the car was nearly new.

Nonetheless, his contract over and headed back across the blue waters, and the car now with around 47K miles on it, he goes to sell the car to Carmax and they tell him they can't give any more than about 5500 for it since it's been in a wreck and had damage to both doors, the roof, and the front sufficient to require a radiator being replaced aside from body work and they couldn't do anything more than wholesale it i.e. they could not sell at as one of their own "certified" used cars.

In other words, between CarMax and a Toyota dealer, the word "certified" clearly means more at CarMax. The only thing which was "certified" in this case was the fact that at least one D.C. area Toyota dealer is an asshole.

A relative who buys and sells cars for a living told us that the CarMax offer was low but not by much, i.e. that the car could be sold at one of the auctions for around 7K after a bit more body work and detailing and that he could offer around 6 for it, but that was all.

The snake's analysis:

People in the auto trade claim that the internet is ruining the new car business and that there's very little profit in selling new cars any more; everybody can find out all the basic prices with little effort. That says that dealers will be trying to make up the slack on used cars and are often trying too hard to make deals, including offering too much on used cars, and then in some cases at least selling some of those bad trades as certified cars.

Something like CarMax of course has no new car business and comes closer to being able to conduct its business in used cars in a rational manner.

Particularly in the cases of Hondas and Toyotas as I see it it makes no sense at all to try to buy "nearly new" ones. Either buy a new one or buy one which is 10 or 12 years old with 100K miles on it and indications that it was cared for. With any car at all, A Honda or Toyota with 100K miles on it is basically just broken in.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,926 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 01:56 pm
Quote:
Nonetheless, his contract over and headed back across the blue waters, and the car now with around 47K miles on it, he goes to sell the car to Carmax and they tell him they can't give any more than about 5500 for it since it's been in a wreck and had damage to both doors, the roof, and the front sufficient to require a radiator being replaced aside from body work and they couldn't do anything more than wholesale it i.e. they could not sell at as one of their own "certified" used cars.

Did the accident happen BEFORE of AFTER your associate bought it? In my understanding, a "certified" car has to be practically a cream puff, or the dealer will not certify it. After all, there are benefits to a certified car, such as a better warrantee than an uncertified auto.
gungasnake

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 02:40 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Before. And there's no way in the world the dealer didn't know what sort of a life the car had lived.
Phoenix32890

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 03:25 pm
@gungasnake,
I am sorry for the person who got screwed. The lesson to be learned here, is no matter what the dealer says, always check an auto's history on Carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_check.cfm

Does the person have the papers that he got when he bought the car, along with the warrantee? I wonder if there is anything that he could do in small claims court? After all, the car that he bought was not as was represented.
gungasnake

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 05:31 pm
@Phoenix32890,
There's no real recourse at this point; the person is out of the United States for the foreseeable future. Other than that carfax is only as good as the info its given, there's no guarantee carfax will know everything in the world about any particular car. If you wanted to be really paranoid you could buy your own paint depth guage but, again as I mentioned, the idea of buying nearly new cars is generally a mistake, particularly in the case of Hondas or Toyotas.
Phoenix32890

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 05:53 pm
@gungasnake,
I would suppose that the safest bet in buying a used car is to get one from someone that a person knows.....................a neighbor, a friend, etc.

I had a car that was inundated with saltwater. (It was my car-bought new) I paid $1000- for a new computer for the auto on the advice of the dealer. When other things started going, the dealer told me that the car needed to be "totaled". He said that, little by little, more and more components would go bad due to the salt water. Great advice, after he got the thousand bucks out of me.

I have always wondered whether some poor sap got snookered into buying the car. To look at the car, you would never know that anything had happened to it.
gungasnake

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:16 pm
@Phoenix32890,
My friends in the business tell me that a car which has been in salt water is never going to be right again.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:01 pm
Lots of cars that were "totalled" after Katrina found themselves back in used car lots to be sold.
gungasnake

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:17 pm
@DrewDad,
There was a huge demand for legit used cars after Katrina, absolute sellers' market. For any unscroupulous dealer who didn't have real cars to sell the temptation to try to recycle the drowned ones would have been large.
0 Replies