sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 09:08 am
This seems to be a good tutorial on managing all the various privacy settings, etc... I haven't made my way through it yet so can't say for certain.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=71679408178
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 12:39 pm
I have to agree with Robert regarding it being a tool. And a good tool at that! I've had a mostly dormant account for years, but my family is starting to get into it; and now I'm really starting to like it. Seeing pics and reading accounts from interesting people that I otherwise might miss puts a smile on my face. Plus, I've used it to reunite with some people I've lost touch with, that I really did want to hear from again.

Some of you may remember my OCCOM Childcare thread from like 6 years ago? Not only did Facebook put me back in touch with my friend; no sooner did that happen; I got to snoop photos of her and her then 7 year-old little angel (now 13) as well. Now tall and skinny with a mouth full of braces! Now I did get a couple photos emailed to me right of way; but what are the odds anyone would send you several dozen, including family and friends, within minutes of contact? Phones and email just don't do that.

Heck, the last super-cool family news I received, that my genius nephew was accepted at Yale; Soz learned before I did, thanks to Facebook. It really is a cool tool.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 12:44 pm
Yes, it can be very cool. Today I came upon an EXTENSIVE family tree project that a friend of mine did... Involved traveling around a great deal (his family is all over the world), hunting down old photos, taking stories from his grandparents and great grandparents (and many aunts, uncles....great great grand whoevers)... It mixes politics (his father's side was an important chinese diplomat family), romance, drama..... excellent stuff. He could have done it in a scrapbook, but then I'd never come across it.
0 Replies

Snowlvr

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 01:26 pm
I hate Facebook. And now some Arab dude as high jacked my email address and I get all these stupid emails from Facebook for him in Arabic. I have tried numerous time to block and delete this account with NO F'n success. I am so annoyed every time I log on to my email and see a plethora of Facebook emails for this **** wad. If ANYONE can help me close this arseholes account so I can stop receiving all this Faceshit email I would be most appreciative.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 04:34 pm
@Snowlvr,
Go to your Facebook preferences and disable the email notifications.
0 Replies

somewhatsolved

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 03:39 am
@nimh,
I agree also thier cellular app eats through data like a fat man in a buffet so to quote intro
Quote:
DOWN WITH FACEBOOK
0 Replies

robinmosesnailart

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 10:46 am
@nimh,
I have not kept up with a single friend nor do I care to. However, my page has sent 1000's of girls to school and helped countless others learn a craft to support their families. Its all about how you use this tool. I cannot say it is perfect, far from. But without it, I could not do what I do as I can't speak to large crowds in person. I very much agree with this author, but I had to put my own experience in. Thank you for the great read.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 12:21 pm
@Region Philbis,
Dang, 2009 doesn't seem like that long ago but has the landscape ever changed. (Not just this one thing, though it jumped out at me -- who doesn't tweet at halftime now?? -- but the general conversation.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 04:03 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

I still dont expect to use Facebook much (he added stubbornly)

LOL
nimh

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 05:05 pm
@nimh,
Man, does this topic ever make me look like a fuddy-duddy crank. Obviously, Robert and Dagmar were right. And it was less than a year after I opened this topic that I started managing the social media of the research center I worked at, including in some of the exact ways Dagmar had been describing here. Ah well.

Among all the cranky stuff I wrote, though, there's still a couple of things I mentioned that I still find kind of weird and vaguely unpleasant about Facebook when I stop to think about them - it's just that I do them now myself as well, and I don't generally stop to think about them. Basically, it's the whole one-to-many communication thing. Yes, as Robert pointed out, I had a blog before and that's one-to-many as well. And it's very useful for businesses and organizations. But the way we (i.e. many of us, by far not everyone of course) habitually use these one-to-many tools to communicate about our private life still seems a bit odd.

I mean, I totally enjoy seeing photos of beautiful walks friends make, or lovely places they visit. Even when they're not really friends. I smile when someone shares a witty observation. I appreciate it when someone shares an interesting link. And in general, I am glad to know, in overall terms, that people I like, but not in a good-friends way where you communicate directly a lot, are doing well. And to have the possibility to encourage or commiserate with them when they are not doing well, and I would previously never even have known. Well, all the kinds of things that people like Soz and Dagmar and Robert and Patiodog were already telling me in this topic seven years ago.

(Also, I have a lot less patience now for writers who, as Dagmar pointed out about the piece this topic started with, really like to hear themselves talk. And for myself, when I start writing like that. Like in this comment.)

But I think this is still kind of true, once I strip out the hyperbole like so:

Quote:
Seems an odd way to communicate, somehow. Like, here -- I dont really have the time or inclination to actually write you an email, so lemme just include you on my broadcast-to-all about [what] I'm doing.

I mean, it's a great way to feed [one's need] to share - not with one or the other person individually, but to a hopefully fascinated and impressed audience - and I do have a bit of that in myself too, but it's hardly something I'd want to be encouraged in.

It seems like, I dunno. It's like how people sent these group e-mails from wherever they were, to keep all their friends at once up-to-date with what they're doing. Which was always kind of tasteless. But then writ large.

It's just that, thanks to Facebook c.s., I do some of this now too. Stuff I would have recounted to someone specifically, I now sometimes just post on Facebook. Why? Part laziness, and specifically a kind of non-committalness. Like, you can share whatever it was you wanted to share, without necessarily getting into a conversation. And part vanity - thinking that hey, who knows how many more people might like this; and why settle for sharing it with one person when you can share it with (and perhaps be appreciated by) a bunch of people at once?

Vice versa, too - I mean, I like to see how people are doing. If they're doing fun stuff I'm happy for them, if they're not doing so well I sympathize. I don't have this snobbish disdain anymore about people sharing photos of trips and holidays and parties etc and other people liking them; when I click 'like' it's cause I'm genuinely happy for them. But as an introvert, it does make me lazy. Once I've clicked a few likes and left a few appreciative or empathizing comments, I feel I don't really need to write that email or start that chat anymore; I've done my part, so to say.

All of that combines into kind of an ugly side to my personality, and it's not necessarily much comfort to see that it happens to be a pretty wide-spread ugly side...

(God, this was needlessly long.)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 05:23 pm
@nimh,
I am still not on Facebook to my own knowledge but I think I did sign up to see Dag's photos at one point.

I spend too much online time already (of course).
My problem before hand is worry about how to deal with people on a2k I am still very interested in (hi, nimh) and then jumping into all that, when my key interest is contact with people from my past whose emails I don't still have (lost a batch when I left California, maybe everyone after the letter m in the old Server data.)

Good grief, some of my old pals would not particularly like to engage with my a2k friends. Ok, ok, some would, for sure, but how I could work that, I am probably too dumb.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 07:58 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

(Also, I have a lot less patience now for writers who, as Dagmar pointed out about the piece this topic started with, really like to hear themselves talk. And for myself, when I start writing like that. Like in this comment.)

Nahhh, you're too thoughtful.

(As for your later "long" comment, seriously, why are you and I on Twitter?!! It's good practice though, pith does not come naturally to me.)

As for what I currently think about Facebook, all the good stuff from back then plus a lot more.

There's a cabal of former elementary school friends, all of us were definitely friendly when we were in school together but we have grown into really simpatico (if different) people who enjoy DISCUSSING things, so I've gotten closer to them now than we ever were back then.

I absolutely love being informed on local news, I'm part of several local groups and am the person friends (offline) usually ask what's up. That's not something I'm accustomed to, as a deaf person -- generally I'm the one scrambling to figure out what's going on.

There's one friend who has a kid who is very, very similar to sozlet in a lot of ways but three years older -- she is my "ack new experience I know nothing what's going on??" person, bless her heart. (I bothered her a lot freshman year, and got all kinds of inside info that other parents who were dealing with high school for the first time didn't know.) She's a peach but very introverted and so we've only seen each other in person like four times in the years we've known each other, but I do consider her a good friend even though it's almost entirely Facebook-based. We're in daily contact there (likes, comments) and talk via Messenger probably 2 x/ month.

I've also gotten to know E.G.'s family much better via Facebook. He has a LARGE extended family and I always liked one uncle (very smart, very grumpy, very funny) but we've become pretty close almost entirely due to Facebook.

Anyway, it goes on! I won't say it's perfect but generally it's a big plus in my life, especially in terms of accessible, text-based communication. (Oh and there's also all the ASL vlogs now! That's relatively new, it's only exploded in the last year or so.)
nimh

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 04:32 am
@sozobe,
That all sounds awesome - it's clearly working very well for you! It seems like the particularly productive role Facebook plays for you is definitely also tied in with the experiences, challenges and opportunities which come up when you're Deaf, so that makes sense. For me it's definitely more of a mixed bag.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:27 am
I've enjoyed using Facebook. I think it connects people all over the world, and the criticism of social media can apply to twitter or to instagram just as much.
0 Replies