could pot save california?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:26 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/24/miron.legalization.drugs/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 09:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I saw that article and thought about posting it as well.

Here's another article which describes the WRONG solution to the problem: continuing the "war" on drugs...
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/24/obama.mexico.policy/index.html
Just look at all the money they are going to throw at this.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 08:41 am
@rosborne979,
Pot-related questions deluge W.H.

FP " US President Barack Obama speaks during an "open for questions" town hall meeting on the economy …
John Ward Anderson John Ward Anderson " Thu Mar 26, 1:12 pm ET
When the White House put out a call for town hall questions, it might not have been expecting this.
The more than 92,000 people who responded either have Cheech and Chong senses of humor or there is a deep concern in America " undetected by the media " about the decriminalization of marijuana, its possible use for medicinal purposes and its potential as a new source of tax revenue.
Given the opportunity to say what’s really on their minds without going through the filter of the mainstream media, people “buzzed up” a series of questions that seemed to suggest broad interest in legalizing marijuana and taxing it.
In this moment of national economic crisis, the top four questions under the heading of “Financial security” concerned marijuana; on the budget, people voted up questions about marijuana to positions 1-4; marijuana was in the first and third positions under “jobs”; people boosted a plug for legalizing marijuana to No. 2 under “health care reform.” And questions about decriminalizing pot occupied spots 1 and 2 under “green jobs and energy.”
After taking questions lower on the list, Obama addressed the pot issue head on, noting the huge number of questions about marijuana legalization and remarking with a chuckle, “I don't know what that says about the online audience."
"The answer is no, I don't think that is a good strategy to grow our economy," he said, as the audience in the room applauded and joined him in a laugh.
It seems part of the popularity of marijuana questions was fueled by NORML, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, which was urging its members to vote for questions supporting the legalization of cannabis.
“WhiteHouse.gov is once again asking the public to pose questions directly to President Obama via its ‘Open For Questions‘ service.,” the organization said on its website. “The topic of this week’s forum is the national economy, and not surprisingly, many of you have already put forward questions to the president regarding the taxation and regulation of cannabis.”
“Please take a moment right now to log on the WhiteHouse.gov/OpenForQuestions and vote for the questions above, as well as others pertaining to the need to regulate cannabis. Let the president know that millions of American voters believe that the time has come to tax and regulate marijuana. Help us send the White House a message our elected leaders can’t ignore,” the statement said.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 09:50 am
We didn't learn anything about the crime creation by Prohibition. We've repeated the same mistake.

I would prefer decriminalizing to leagalizing.

I would prefer the pills rather than smoking pot. The tar content will kill your lungs.

I would prefer decriminalizing all drugs to take the profit out of them. Kill the cartels. Use the war on drug money to treat addicts and on non-drug education.

BBB

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 09:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Barack doesn't have the political capital (and thusly doesn't have the balls) to make a change like that.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 10:00 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Why not legalize it? Decriminalization is just a half-assed way of doing it, and doesn't lead to tax dollars for the state.

Quote:
The tar content will kill your lungs.

Studies do not support this contention.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html

Quote:
The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.
"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20000508/marijuana-unlikely-to-cause-cancer

Quote:
According to Ford, he thought he would find an association between marijuana use and cancer, but "that the association would fall away when we corrected for tobacco use. That was not the case. The association was never there."

http://www.isegoria.net/2009/02/marijuana-cuts-lung-cancer-tumor-growth.htm

Quote:
Marijuana cuts lung cancer tumor growth in half, according to Harvard researchers:

There's quite a bit of evidence that marijuana is not nearly as bad for you as tobacco smoke. But, if that's a concern for you, I'd recommend a Vaporizer. All the benefits of smoking, none of the tar. This is the best one I've ever used -

http://www.ekmpowershop1.com/ekmps/shops/6641koala55/images/vapor-cannon-vaporizer.jpg

Cycloptichorn
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 10:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Good point. If the only way drugs could be taxed and controlled similar to liquor, then I would be in favor of legalizing.

BBB

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 03:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Agreed.

Plus it may be to richly libertarian for his blood.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 10:44 am
There seems to be more of this (Column from Cafferty) type of thing in the main stream press lately. Do you think it's finally gaining some traction?

Look at the title, "War on Drugs is Insane". That's what we've been saying for a long time now. And Cafferty's article only touches the surface of the costs associated with this crazy "war". He doesn't even begin to estimate the costs associated with the changes that the drug BUSINESS has on society in general (both inner cities, and foreign countries).

0 Replies