Man fights and kills shark. Staged?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 03:40 pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1161211/Pictured-The-moment-diver-grappled-12ft-tiger-shark-save-friend.html

The thing that I find curious is that while this guy's fighting the shark, his buddy is taking pictures.

Someone here is a douchebag, but I'm not sure who it is.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,273 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 05:06 pm
@DrewDad,
Not sure anyone was a douchebag. They were there tuna fishing...and the intent was not hunting shark. This seems to be a case of self-defense, but that could be hard to define and debatable about what was aggressive behavior by the shark's moves .

"Regarded by many as two of the world's best free diving spearfishermen, Mr Clasen and Cameron Kirkconnell have come into contact with thousands of sharks.
Watching from the boat, Mr Kirkconnell is sure Mr Clasen the right decision. 'We had been in the water all day and had caught lots of tuna,' he explained.
'But every dive we do is a shark dive and at certain times of the year, especially in Louisiana, we expect to see between 50-100 sharks from 7-12 ft.
'This encounter was so rare though. This shark must have thought it was an easy kill for him."
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 05:12 pm
I get what you mean, the pictures are so perfect that it seems unreal, but I have no reason to assume it isn't.

What I don't get is why they were fighting for hours. That seems to have more to do with bagging the trophy and getting the photos than getting out of danger to me.
Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 05:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sure does make you pause for thought ...especially because these are 2 VERY seasoned spearfishermen.

However, why, if they were in the shark's backyard and they knew that it was, weren't they operating from inside a shark cage?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 05:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
also, I looked back at the article, and saw this telltale item: the spearfishermen were hunting with a crew that included a photographer AND film-maker. Talk about things that make you say 'hmmmm?"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 05:59 pm
Having personally read 14 mazillion jillion books about sharks I know that they don't usually attack people. I also know that records of shark attacks have been kept since the16th century.

So I looked up the stats on tiger shark attacks:

Quote:
Human attack ranking: #2
According to the International Shark Attack Files the tiger shark has attributed to 29 deaths out of 116 recorded attacks since 1580.

I imagine that since 1580 there have been attacks that were unreported so let's pretend that the year is 1980. That would mean that there would have been one death per year from tiger shark attacks.

I think the whole thing was agreed upon and staged for the film makers.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 06:37 pm
@boomerang,
Come to think of it, they do seem to be protesting a bit much about the morality part, explaining how it's not something they are proud of but were forced to do.

If I ever had to kill a shark in self-defense the last thing I'd think about is being sorry...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 07:37 pm
@DrewDad,
Hard to say b/c it looks a little fake. But let's think about this for a second.

Unless the picture was totally faked, the guy sure is right there next to a shark.

The part that I don't believe it the 2 hour time description; that seems rather unlikely.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 08:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
True. Air last longer close to the surface, but that is a long time for that kind of exertion, even if your respiration doesn't increase. Mine surely would. Markedly.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Unless the picture was totally faked, the guy sure is right there next to a shark.

I'd do that too if it's already dead from the multiple spears.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:28 pm
There are always sharks right there on the gulf coast.

I lived on the beach in Galveston and we used to shark fish from our front deck. The surest way to attract a shark is to spearfish. Not only do you have blood in the water, you have a wiggling, injured fish. That will attract any shark in the area.

And the area is full of sharks.

These guys were experienced. They knew that.

They attracted a shark and then they killed it on camera hoping to make money from the footage.

I'll bet they do, too.

Pisses me off.....

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:35 pm
Re: Cycloptichorn (Post 3597559)
Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'd do that too if it's already dead from the multiple spears.

Did you read this part?

Quote:
The best way and quickest way to finish the job and kill the shark and recover it was to get a rope around its tail, drag it from the back of the boat and attempt to drown it.'In the end we had put a knife its skull once I got lose enough to it and use a long blade knife even after trying to drown it.'

I think they left out some important information about "trying" to drown the shark.

It it is the best and quickest way to kill a shark why weren't these experienced people able to pull it off?

I think the shark was dead when these photos were taken.

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:38 pm
@boomerang,
It certainly looks rather poorly.

Pining for the fjords, perhaps?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:59 pm
@roger,
Regarding air, they were free diving, which means no tanks. (Note that he's not wearing any in the pic.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 10:53 pm
Here is video. The shark looks to be just about dead, it's barely struggling and I don't expect them to release any legitimate struggle. I think they speared a shark and posed with it while it died.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/03/12/vo.shark.diver.fight.barm.famepictures
boomerang

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 08:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
I think you're absolutly right.
0 Replies