What's the cheapest way to have a cell phone?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:37 am
All I want is to be able to talk on the phone occasionally. I have a computer, so I don't need a smartphone.

Ideally, I'd pay $30/month or less.

TracPhone looks workable. Are there other cheap cellphone options available?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,259 • Replies: 11
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:16 am
I have a Verizon plan for my daughter for $39.99/month plus taxes, that's for 450 minutes though, as she talks and talks, no texting or other features .... less minutes translates to less fees. ATT has these prepaid phones, that might
be better.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:23 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

All I want is to be able to talk on the phone occasionally. I have a computer, so I don't need a smartphone.

Ideally, I'd pay $30/month or less.

TracPhone looks workable. Are there other cheap cellphone options available?

Get a burner with prepaid minutes. No plan, pay as you go.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
@DrewDad,
I've got a T-mobile to go flip phone, can't remember the cost, but it was cheap.

For the first year the refill minutes, which you can buy online, expire in 90 days.
After the first year, they don't expire for a year.

I figured it out once, and I think it's costing me between $5 & $10 a month.

I probably use it about twice a week, maybe 3 sometimes, for less than 5 minutes a call I'm sure.

I've been very satisfied.
roger

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:42 am
@chai2,
I use tracphone. With my low useage, it works well. The first year worked out to $16.66/month. Half the price thereafter. I lost a tracphone, once, and was not able to buy another phone and regain the lost prepaid minutes. If you lose stuff, this is not for you.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:19 pm
@roger,
Hmm....

I've lost about four phones in the last two years....

Perhaps I could learn not to be so cavalier.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:24 pm
@roger,
On tracphone, do you have to do something to keep it phone active? Certain usage/month or something?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:28 pm
OK, you have to buy add'l airtime at least every 90 days, or your current airtime expires.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:13 pm
Have you considered Page Plus? Supposed to be a cheap no-frills way to go. Can't vouch for it, but you might consider it.

LINK
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:43 pm
@DrewDad,
It stays active whether you use it or not. I renew for one year at a time, so as not to be bothered by the process every few months. Most recently, $100.00 added one year and 400 minutes. On the initial installation when you buy the phone, I believe the rate is $200.00 for 400 minutes, but I'm not sure I'm remembering the details. Unused minutes carry forward when you renew. Right now, I'm sitting on 700 minutes, as I really don't use it much.

Oh, if you are out of your designated area, every minute used is charged as two minutes. Within your area, you can call anywhere in the US, Guam, Canada at the normal rate.

Loading fresh airtime is a pain in the neck.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 02:03 pm
@DrewDad,
Toavoid losig the cell phone again and taking a clue from Lt. Sheisskoph (Catch 22) when he wanted to perfect the perfect marching soldier, try attaching it to a chain that is surgically implanted to your wrist and hip bones.

I'd recommend titanium screws, since the body is a pretty corrosive place. The chain would dangle loosely between the hip and wrist, and the cell phone would be on a ring so it could slide back and forth from the storage location to the deployment location.

It would also look pretty pretty spiffy, and would be a great accoutrement if you ever wanted to take up precision cell phone drill team marching.

Rap
chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 02:05 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Toavoid losig the cell phone again and taking a clue from Lt. Sheisskoph (Catch 22) when he wanted to perfect the perfect marching soldier, try attaching it to a chain that is surgically implanted to your wrist and hip bones.

I'd recommend titanium screws, since the body is a pretty corrosive place. The chain would dangle loosely between the hip and wrist, and the cell phone would be on a ring so it could slide back and forth from the storage location to the deployment location.

It would also look pretty pretty spiffy, and would be a great accoutrement if you ever wanted to take up precision cell phone drill team marching.

Rap

or keep it in your handbag

one rarely loses their handbag
0 Replies