Memories of 21, 42, 63 ... the 84th meandering

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:16 pm
It's time for the Wildclickers to share some memories. Perhaps of our 21st, 42nd or 63rd years or birthdays or the 21st amendment or 1963 or ...

This is the 84th wander through the rainforest. We started wandering back at Abuzz, gathered and lost some moss off of our rolling stone.

We've walked through rainforests, toured jungles, climbed high, peered low. Some of our members literally did all of those things over the years. Others of us followed along virtually.

The official leader of the WildClickers is the Aktbird57

http://www.care2.com/c2c/people/profile.html?pid=919607664

He set up his account at care2.com in May 2000. There was a group of random clickers already posting together through threads at Abuzz. Andy (the Aktbird) invited people to click as members of his team.

Ha! there is the first 42 reference for me. I started clicking with the team in 2000, when I was 42 Very Happy

A companion thread to the Abuzz threads started at Able2Know

http://able2know.org/topic/33597-1#post-902435 .

When we arrived here, we were the number 2 team clicking at care2.com. We've moved up a spot since then Cool

More about the team and process in the next post.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 98,088 • Replies: 1,673

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:24 pm
@ehBeth,
whats this all about then. I tried posting once and was ignored so I said "screw it". Whaddya mean a "team?"
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:31 pm
@farmerman,
Hey farmerman. There is literally a team of former Abuzzers and current A2Kers, and some assorted friends and families, that clicks together as a group to save acreage (a lot of it seems to be administered by the Nature Conservancy - with funding from yogurt companies in exchange for us looking past their ads as we click)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:31 pm
(cribbed from the earlier a2k thread)

In 2000, a small group of people started clicking together as members of a team at care2.com.

We 'met' at Abuzz to cheer the team and individuals on, and to discuss the wonders of the world, and the everyday wonders and sorrows of our lives.

We're here now - in our 84th thread!

Please join us in daily clicking for the Rainforest (and other worthy
causes), and become a part of our group on this Rainforest
thread. We are the aktbird57 team in Race for the Rainforest, and
when we last saw the leaderboard, we were the number 1 team in the world!

Stradee will be by with a link for you to get you started clicking.

Leave us a note here if you need some more help with this.

how it helps: (from the care2 site)

Go to the Race for the Rain Forest at Care2.com. Just click on a button and somewhere in the world, you'll save up to 15 square feet of rain forest, prairie, or wetlands, -- you choose! Corporate sponsors show their logos when you click, and in return, they pay for the habitat saved.

To register for the first time, create your own Distinct Log-in name
and Password. Then each time you visit the site to click you simply
Log-in and click on the Rainforest button. It's that simple. The
site is FREE. If you have a question, we have plenty of answers. FREE.

After clicking, please come by and post with us on this thread. Talk to us about your garden, your animals, your personal environmental actions.

We have a wonderful and helpful group of people clicking here. If you're unable to click because of puter problems/work/vacation, let us know, we can usually find a volunteer to click for you in the interim.

COME AND JOIN THE WILDCLICKERS ON OUR 84TH MEANDERING
Stradee

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 09:33 pm
@ehBeth,
stradee skip hoppin'....

Hi ya Beth! Thanks for the new thread and suggestions. Rereading the older threads is such a great way to reconnect with Aktbird57 team members, plus explain to first time people reading the thread, what the Wildclickers are all about.

I hope a2kers who stopped by to check out the new thread will take a few minutes each day and click for the Rainforest at Care2. There people will find great causes and ways for making a positive impact for our planet. Then stop by the thread and say 'hi'. The Wildclickers are a super bunch of people willing to answer any questions you might have.

If you are interested in joining the Aktbird57 team, Beth is the lady with all the answers.

Welcome all to the 84th Rainforest Thread!

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674

Stradee

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 09:43 pm
http://www.nature.org/rainforests/images/rainf_040902_f005_lg.jpg

manderin'
http://www.nature.org/rainforests/images/rainf_041229_d010_lg.jpg
Stradee

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 10:20 pm
@farmerman,
Hey Farmerman! onmymarc here and accounted for Smile

Is your antique road show still operational? Recall you were the 'answer person' at a few threads at Abuzz. I still have Britannica Encyclopedias you rated for me - {cat spray and all}

Since moving to the Sierras, i've inherited a herd of deer, a thousand Finches, Stellar Jays, Hawks, and varies songbirds.

danon5

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 10:29 pm
@Stradee,
Hiya folks. ehBeth, thanks for the great new thread.

We even have Farmerman on site - WOW, that's a good start for this thread.

Hey, Farmerman, try and keep up with us - the Wildclickers.......!!!!!!!

We have great people and veeeery interesting stories to tell on this site.

It works, too. We have saved well over SIXTY-SEVEN acres of Rain Forest all over the world by just taking a couple of minutes per day to simply click.

Welcome aboard to all people who give a **** about our world.

Stradee, those pics are nice. Thanks. The second one looks like the Rain Forest in Washington State.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:42 am
@Stradee,
Stradee, good to find you and the link here this morning!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:48 am
@Stradee,
Stradee - I want to hear some stories from you about the Sierras and the animals you've met/seen/heard. <is that toooo pushy?>
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:09 am
@danon5,
danon5 wrote:

We have great people and veeeery interesting stories to tell on this site.

It works, too. We have saved well over SIXTY-SEVEN acres of Rain Forest all over the world by just taking a couple of minutes per day to simply click.

Welcome aboard to all people who give a **** about our world.

hehehe - and Danon's one of our very best story-tellers.

Sixty-seven! wow - even I'm impressed Wink

((( hugs to Danon and his Patti )))

~~~

You and your 300 friends have supported 2,929,756.3 square feet!

0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:48 am
Morning all. Monday's snow in the Carolinias is long gone, a flock of robins arrived last week, and we will be almost 80 here tomorrow.

Here is something to chew on, English-style.

PHYSIOLOGY:

Mad Dogs and Englishmen
Andrew M. Sugden

It is well established that organisms respond to climate change by adapting, by shifting their geographic distribution, or--in the unluckier cases--by becoming extinct. Most models of responses to climate change focus on changes in distribution, usually based on "climatic envelope" concepts: that is, the range of climatic conditions that a species can endure. For cold-blooded animals such as reptiles and insects, a missing element from such models has been the ability of these organisms to regulate their body temperature by behavioral means, such as not going out in the midday sun, which has the potential to buffer their geographic response to changing climate. By including such thermoregulatory behavior in biophysical models of temperature responses of Australian ectotherms, Kearney et al. show that the challenge for many such species in a warming world will be to stay cool. If moving with the climate is not an option, which it will not be for many tropical organisms, survival will depend on factors such as the availability of shade and the ability of ectotherm species to alter their seasonal or daily patterns of activity. -- AMS

Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 106, 10.1073/pnas.0808913106 (2009).
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:49 am
Oh, and I did click this morning. Someone need to fetch Teeny and Ul?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:52 am
@sumac,
Good morning sumac - good to see you here.

I'll send out a few more emails with the directions here.
Izzie

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:46 am
@ehBeth,
<click click click> - I think! IzzieLiz x
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:51 am
@Izzie,
Hi Izzie! nice to see you here.

The trees and boids and squoills thank you for the clicks.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 10:07 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks for the invitation! Joined Abuzz in 1999 or 2000. Been trying to stay in the loop ever since! Been off 3 months. Broke my ankle on black ice on Christmas Eve. Been in a cast ever since, but I'm okay! Tuesday, I'm hopeful the cast will come off. Been missing all of you! I'm still at [email protected]. Again, thanks! All clicked!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 10:13 am
@teenyboone,
Teeny - good to see you here! not so good to hear about your ankle Confused

You're a wildclicker from aways back - always glad to see you again.

Mebbe you'll have some 21/42/63/84 stories to share later?
teenyboone

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 10:32 am
@ehBeth,
Glad to be back! Now, if only I can keep up! Miss all of you! I received a message from SeattleBuzz and like mental telepathy, received a message from you! This group, Abuzz and Seattle are almost like family. I'm trying to be a good girl, take my meds and go forward! I had a King Cake, for Mardi Gras, but it wasn't like being there, but sweet and gooey!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 11:01 am
@ehBeth,
Can 't recall a specific story, Beth. Shared most of the herd stories since moving to the Sierras, but each day critters bring smiles.

With the stormy weather, i've been observing my pals from the porch or viewing from the kitchen window where the Finch feeders live. Each bird has a set amount of time the other birds allow for feeding. They land on the roosts, a few minutes of feeding, then the second set of diners arrive - havoc and much chirping - and so the communication goes. Waiting patiently at the general store feeder are wrens, robbins, and Stellar Jays {landing with a thud scattering seed} conversing with each other from pine trees. The jays display no ettiquette at all when the feeders empty. It's "Hey, we're hungry"! to funny

Clear weather today! Sue, 80 degree temps sound so good now! Still at the wool clothes stage of winter for the Sierras.

Dan, the first photo is of a morning misty view of the forest of East Kalimantan, Indonesia, Borneo. The second pic - a trail through a Coastal Olivillo forest in the Valdivian Coastal Reserve. Beautiful diversity.

Say hi to your Pattie! Smile

Teeny! Glad you found the thread! {not glad you're ankles tweeked Sad ...}

Enjoy your day, Wildclickers, and welcome new thread poster faces! Very Happy

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674