Tattoo a copyrighted work

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:10 pm
Flattering Copyright Infringement
Quote:
I created the above artwork about two years ago. It was something I did for no other reason then to have fun. I've used it on several creative projects and a t-shirt design I give away when I do speaking gigs. It now seems this art is making it's way into the whole tattoo art sub-culture and people are helping themselves to the visual imagery and having it applied to their body without my permission.

Apparently this artist found his work tattooed on multiple people, and he did not give them permission to do so. Do you need permission to get a copyrighted work tattooed? Does the original artist have any legal recourse?

I find this topic interesting, as I *may* have a logo tattooed on my left shoulder Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,565 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:15 pm
@Nick Ashley,
I don't know the legalities, but Harley - Davidson sure gets lots of free advertising.
Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:29 pm
@roger,
Haha, yeah I suppose if you are tattooing a logo, then the company wouldn't care because it is free advertising. I have the O'neill logo on my arm (not the name, just the abstract crashing wave)

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9969/oneill3.jpg
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:39 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Quote:

I find this topic interesting, as I *may* have a logo tattooed on my left shoulder

Before you do that, approach the company and offer to sell them advertising space. They should at least pay for the tattoo.

They would probably pay more if you tattooed it on your forehead.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:39 pm
@Nick Ashley,
WHAT logo might you, in some other universe, had you any tattoos, have on your left shoulder?

If you had a left shoulder.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:05 pm
I have unsanctioned art on my arm. I sent the image to the artist after he asked an email list if anyone had his art tattood on them.
bq

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 10:31 am
@littlek,
What did the artist do? Did you get sued? I am wanting to get a tattoo of some artwork done and I'm wondering if it will be a problem later. Thanks in advance for your reply.
0 Replies