News about flu and vaccines

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:33 pm
Quote:

Flu viruses becoming resistant to key weapon Tamiflu
By Steve Sternberg, USA TODAY
Tamiflu-resistant influenza A viruses are now spreading widely across the USA, imperiling a pillar of the global pandemic-response stockpile, researchers report Monday.

The first in-depth analysis of Tamiflu resistance during last year's flu epidemic found that about 12% of people with influenza A/H1N1, one of three circulating strains, were infected with resistant viruses. One in five of last year's patients came down with A/H1N1 viruses.

BETTER LIFE: Low humidity favors influenza

This year, however, A/H1N1 is causing a bigger proportion of flu cases, and preliminary data suggests that Tamiflu resistance in that strain is nearing 100%, turning the tables on a drug designed to defeat resistance. The evidence has prompted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to alter its treatment recommendations.

CDC now urges doctors to use Tamiflu for patients with influenza B viruses or in a cocktail with one of two drugs from another class, rimantadine or amantadine, when they haven't identified the flu type.

Relenza, a close cousin of Tamiflu, is still broadly effective, doctors say, but the drug isn't recommended for children younger than 7, those with airway diseases and those who are unable to use an oral inhaler
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,639 • Replies: 17
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
from TIMES OF LONDON
full report :
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5834513.ece

Quote:
March 3, 2009

Scientists warn of drug-resistant 'super-flu'
Sam Lister, Health Editor
A new drug-resistant “super-flu” has become increasingly common and may pose a serious risk to hospital patients, scientists have warned.

Two research papers published in the Journal of the American Medical Association show that a drug-resistant mutation of the H1N1 influenza A virus, a strain that causes common seasonal outbreaks, has spread rapidly round the world.

The new subtype cannot be treated with the antiviral drug oseltamivir, sold as Tamiflu, which is one of the first lines of defence for people most vulnerable to flu.

Scientists said the studies showed that the virus was a particular threat to people in hospital with weakened immune systems, and underlined the need to develop new drug treatments and improve staff vaccination rates.

and from an earlier article in TIMES OF LONDON
full report :
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article5157832.ece

PRESIDENT BUSH PRACTICES CRUISESHIP ROUTINE

Quote:
When Barack Obama went to the White House as a newly elected senator for an interview and welcome from the reigning President, George W. Bush was a kindly, attentive host. Apparently Obama was not only impressed by Bush's sen- sitive and kindly advice but surprised by his insistence that Obama should spray his hands with a disinfectant skin cleanser before he handled refreshments. Reports suggest that four years later Bush continues his campaign and at last week's dinner party for the victorious candidate he once again had his hands disinfected. Bush explained that this measure had reduced the number of coughs, colds and other infections that afflict all households.

wash your hands , disinfect , wash your hands , disinfect ... ...
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:10 pm
@hamburger,
Holland America has disinfectants all over their ships, and Princess has the matre'd at the dining room provide them before entering the dining room. They also have them at the buffet and special dining rooms for self-serve aboard the ship.

Damn good idea. I wash my hands often at home, but I pay the penalty with real dry skin, so I apply lotion every day.
hamburger

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
both mrs h and i picked up the noro-virus on our south-america cruise .
mrs h got hit first but i didn't come down until 10 days later .
i got over it quite quickly . didn't feel well when we were coming into montevideo , so took two peptos right away , later followed by two loperamide .
by the time we reached rio - two days later - i was in good shape again and we went on a full day tour with local seafood lunch while the ship was scrubbed from top to bottom .

captain had apparently considered ending the cruise in rio and have passengers flown home - no more problems for the remainder of cruise .
wash , wash wash - spray , spray , spray ... we also "requisitioned" a large container of disinfecting handtowels from the computer-room . pretty strong stuff ! but it worked .

later learned that two of our table mates had a noro infection before leaving home and had been supplied with meds to take on ship by their doctor .
we suspected that they were "typhoid mary" .
hbg

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:36 pm
@hamburger,
What was interesting about out 26-day cruise was that over half got sick, but no one (8 of us) from our dinner table got sick. The three other couples at our table also won all three of the champagne at the captain's circle reception. My roommate got a bottle of champagne because he participated in one of the early shows.
hamburger

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. :

are you familiar with the website of the CDC re. SHIP SANITION PROGRAMS ?

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/

you can check the sanitation score of all cruiseships coming into U.S. portts .
btw read recently that a/t CDC one is TWICE as likely to catch the noro virus while on land as on a cruise ! ( LET'S CUISE MORE OFTEN !) .
apparently 2% incidence in general population but only 1 % on cruises !
hbg

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 07:44 pm
More recent news about influenza -
Antibodies Offer a New Path for Fighting Flu

clip from NY Times --

Antibodies Offer a New Path for Fighting Flu
By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.
Published: February 22, 2009
In a discovery that could radically change how the world fights influenza, researchers have engineered antibodies that protect against many strains of the virus, including even the 1918 Spanish flu and the H5N1 bird flu.
end/clip
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 07:58 pm
@ossobuco,
I vaguely remember reading that article. Thanks for sharing it here.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 03:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The "new" swine flu is now a concern for many people, so I thought I would bring this thread back to life.

As far as I can tell, the spread of swine flu is similar to other types of flu. It can be airborne or by touching something who is infected also touched it. The CDC recommends you cover your mouth when you sneeze, and wash your hands often with sanitizing soap or alcohol.

There is no shot for the swine flu, but there are other drugs that can be taken to minimize the sickness if you catch it. If you have the symptoms of the swine flu, stay home and rest.

Quote:
Twenty swine flu cases confirmed in U.S.
Twenty cases of swine flu have been confirmed in the United States as the White House stepped up efforts to monitor the outbreak, U.S. officials said on Sunday.

A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:19 am
@cicerone imposter,
This has the capability to be a 'tipping point' for our economy...

AP reports Mexico City "shut down" today; businesses closed, people staying home....

Looking at flu and other pandemic scenarios, the number of cases double, double again, and eventually affect the population at large. We might just be a week or so away from this happening in the US.

Bad **** possibly coming. In addition to all the potential suffering, commerce will grind to a halt, the stock market will plunge, and food and deliveries might be eventually affected.

People shouldn't panic, but they may want to have more than a day or two of food in the house?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 03:56 pm
@A Lone Voice,
From Reuters:
Quote:
No American deaths have been reported and most of those affected by the virus had light symptoms, recovering fast. But it has popped up in New York, Ohio, Kansas, Texas and California as well as Canada and Europe, raising fears of a pandemic.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 04:00 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Thats what Ive been saying on the other thread but will anybody lissen to me? nooo, they think Im just some nut whose gone off the edge.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 04:17 pm
@A Lone Voice,
You conservatives have your brain pre-programmed towards fear. It's really funny to watch you guys, but know you can become dangerous to the rest of society.
A Lone Voice

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
You're reading too many DHS reports, ci...

Might want to read the CDC website; they have been saying we're overdue for a flu pandemic similar to the 1918 Spanish Flu. And with our WalMart, 'just in time' inventory system popular throughout the retail and business community, there's not a whole lot of warehouses chock full of goods.

Ah, the CDC; bunch of right wing loonies, aren't they?

So, how do you think our society would do with another 1918-type pandemic?

Or are you one of those people who believe nothing bad can ever happen to us, 'cause gosh, we're Americans?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 09:46 am
@A Lone Voice,
ALV wrote:
Quote:
Ah, the CDC; bunch of right wing loonies, aren't they?

That's typical right-wing BS; put words into our mouths even though we didn't even suggest such a thing. You all have very good imaginations; you should go work in the movie industry.
A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 12:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

That's typical right-wing BS; put words into our mouths even though we didn't even suggest such a thing. You all have very good imaginations; you should go work in the movie industry.

Nah, the movie industry sucks.

C'mon, ci; you did recognize sarcasm there? You claim I'm pre-programmed towards fear, yet I only point out what the CDC is saying?

Surely you, living in earthquake country in CA, have an emergency kit or extra food and water stored?

When I lived in the Bay Area, I did. I was pretty good at following govt suggestions then.

BTW, notice the news reports on how this potential pandemic is affecting the economy?

Why is preparing oneself for a pandemic that the CDC and the WHO are saying may occur a right wing or left wing thing? Or is it right wingers do their best to be self sufficient as long as possible, and left wingers wait for the govt to immediately rescue them?
roger

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 01:26 am
@A Lone Voice,
Mormons, as a group tend to be fairly conservative. As a group, they tend to have community storage areas full of canned goods for a reasonably long emergency of almost any kind.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:29 am
@A Lone Voice,
ALV wrote:
Quote:
Surely you, living in earthquake country in CA, have an emergency kit or extra food and water stored?

Not really, but we usually have a normal supply of water and food in the house. My wife probably has some kind of emergency kit somewhere around the house, but I don't know where it is.
0 Replies