Good Grief, Is This Doctor Nuts? Or Am I Just Stupid?

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 07:17 pm
@squinney,
Well, the sore throat started on Monday, just minor, like you get with a cold sometimes. I lost my voice a little bit. Scratchy. Little cough, the tickle in the throat thing, nothing huge. Then on Tuesday, I started coughing really bad, yacking up nasty tasting thick green mucus. I felt a little iffy but not horrible. Still sore throat, still scratchy voice. On Wednesday, coughing still very bad, no sleep that night, loads of green thick mucus and now it's started to clog up my nose. My throat is still really sore. I went to the doc on Wednesday afternoon because I didn't feel any better at all and since I have asthma, a chest cold can really get bad fast. Thursday, didn't feel better. Friday, still didn't feel better so I got the antibiotics. It's Saturday night and my throat is still really sore. So sore that sometimes I can't barely make myself swallow. My glands are a little swollen but that is not unusual for me when I get sick, even with a minor cold. I have a very low grade fever, 1 degree maybe 2. I am tired. And feel generally icky. I have a little less mucus but the cough and the sore throat are still just as bad as before.

The antibiotic they gave me is azithromicin. Z pack.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 07:38 pm
@Bella Dea,
Oh, I thought it was the sore throat from hell for 4 days starting monday. Beg pardon for the strep posts. Squinney probably has it right, but of course that's a guess.

Am sympathetic, just sorry re my agita' re antibios. which I'm usually exceedingly chary about. I didn't know about the flu with the long term sore throat that people have been having.

Green mucous in the cough ****? I'd still watch that.
Bella Dea

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
It's slightly less green today, which is a good sign. It just blows my mind that my throat is still sore after this long. It's the longest I've ever had a sore throat.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:53 pm
@Bella Dea,
Haven't read ALL the posts, but shouldn't a pharmacist have mentioned this to you when you filled the RX? Pharmacists are also great resources, as I've found out through my little journey. They can tell you what goes with what better than the docs. Really.

Hope you get a strep test for your throat, Bella Dea. Do you have fever too?
Here's to you feeling better soon,
Bathy
Dianne
0 Replies

cody1234

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 07:52 am
@Bella Dea,
I do agree with taking responsibility, however this is a different healthcare system today. You also have many back up systems...like talking with your pharmacist and a nurse...preferrable to talk to a seasoned one with a degree. Did your DR. Swab your throat and send specimen off for culture and sensitivity??? But truth be told you should be honest with your doctor about what has been going on healthwise and tell him ALL drugs you take...prescribes, over the counter as well as any street because you simply cannot expect to get the best care when you only offer a few of the puzzle pieces....how would you respond to you if you were the DR. Or any other medical professional....it is a question to ponder.....today's reality check is you must be an advocate for yourself...if you don't like anything else..you'll get what you pay for and honesty and helping your doc to help you best, IS the best way to go...if you don't like yr doc...you can always find another who has Your best interest at heart, you can help navigate that process, but don't expect it to just happen because you pay your deductibles or have some insurance, you have to be on top of everything anymore.....hope your feeling better :-)
0 Replies