Pucifer's thoroughly rotten day

timberlandko

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 10:43 pm
ehBeth, something I've noticed about the more militant proponents of "Alternative Medicine" is that they have sure-fire remedies for every possible ailment ... and they know they all work, because they take all of them, all the time.

timber
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 10:56 pm
Count me among the unmilitant - i haven't opened the valerian bottle, gave up on the echinacea, forgot to keep taking the red clover capsules, WON'T drink camomile tea ...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:46 am
Well, go ahead and be among the unwashed, however note this... that cold which threatened me two days ago has disappeared.

Haven't looked at the UW's experiment, but most anyone who uses Echincea will say you won't get any good out of taking it while deep in the throes of the cold. It is at the moment when you realize you are aching, your head is pounding, and your throat has become inexplicably sore.... that is when one takes echincea. It is not a cure, it is a staving off of the otherwise inevitable.

And I only took two capsules, along with the zinc, et al. One that night, one the next morning.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:07 am
It might help, margo, if you can get a kitten in the door. Barney has done wonders for this office.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:09 am
Roger - so all's well with the little purr-ball?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:41 am
An incredible recovery from the injury and he's fit himself into the office routine really well. He could pretend to like the owner of the business a little better - the rest of us do.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:42 am
I like to go to stores where they have cats. Not so fond of retail dogs, but love cats. There was a huge black & white cat in the Chinese furniture store I was at in Seattle last Friday. The door was open, it could escape, but it was a clever cat and wandered around inside where it was warm. Quite friendly, too.

Love cats. Mine has just come in to the office to check if there is good heat coming up the register. Apparently there is.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 12:54 pm
[quote="roger"] He could pretend to like the owner of the business a little better - the rest of us do.[/quote]

Roger Laughing Smile Very Happy Twisted Evil
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 12:44 am
I just might have some news, here. Remember that Barney disappeared while I was hospitalized in 2007? I think I've got a long delayed Barney sighting. Anyway, there's this really large, black longhaired cat at the outside food bowl for the past few days. There is some serious scaring on the right hind foot that's fairly convincing, and he has an occasional white hair in the middle of all the black. Actually, if it is Barney, something happened to the foot cuz there was almost no visible scar back in '07. I'm kind of hoping it's him.

He doesn't know me, and is kind of skittish in the same way he was when he was feral. He'll accept minor contact when approaching the bowl, but no more.
dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:44 am
@roger,
Good grief. I hope it is he.
margo

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 02:35 am
How good is that!? He's kept a sort of eye on you all this time. Smile
roger

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 02:57 am
@dlowan,
I also hope so, Deb. Kind of, anyway. I'm kind of loaded up with cats right now, but if it's Barney, he'll always have a home here. That scarred right hind leg is kind of convincing, as are the occasional white hairs amidst all the black.
Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 03:02 am
@roger,
I hope you can help out the nasty little critter, whether it's your old friend or not. This has got to be, now, the longest continuing active thread at the place.
roger

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 03:03 am
@margo,
Somehow, I was expecting you Margo. If it is he, I suspect he got scared of all the stuff going on while I was hospitalized, and took off for parts unknown. Now, I've seen someone like him a block away, but he was unapproachable. Barney was a handsome and good looking cat and probably found a home nearby. It's possible his new family moved away while he was out and about. I'm not going to steal him back, of course, but if he wants a home here, or just a cheap meal in the evening, that's fine too - even if it isn't really Barney.

He was last in the house for sure in late April of 2007. Might just be a good looking stray riding the grub line. He certainly doesn't have memories of me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 03:05 am
@Setanta,
I doubt it goes back further than wa2k, or some of the word games that I've been ignoring for the better part of a decade.

Whoever his is, yeah, he's entitled to a daily feed. If it's got four feet, it isn't welfare.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 09:07 am
I just discovered this thread. What a great read. Good to know Barney - or whoever - has you for a friend.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 09:38 am
Glad probable Barney came back to visit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 12:41 pm
Welcome (back) big black cat.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 12:40 am
I guess I could have posted this one eleven years ago. Anyway, here's Barney when he was very young. If Barney Probably ever stuck out his tongue, I would be certain it was the real Barney. Still, Barn used to have the softest fur I've ever felt on a cat, and so does this guy. He's putting up with lots of contact, though he doesn't seem interested in wandering inside. Still skittish, but does like being handled.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/redwards87401/bth_Barney.jpg?t=1379485956
0 Replies