Pucifer's thoroughly rotten day

roger

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 11:16 pm
Feeding time for the yard cats and Mooch, Freeloader, Hairball, and Fuzzface were missing. The only one waiting for breakfast was this little, solid black kitten - as yet unnamed. She's a beautiful animal and just at the age where she can gallup, but can't quite coordinate all those feet into a true run. Now, this kitten has been making herself known at the food bowl for about three weeks now, and hasn't been quite as skittish as the old timers. For the past week, I've been able to reach out and give her a quick pet, after which she would dodge away, but come right back for more.

Today was different. She spoke (in sort of a Siamese voice) and I got to stroke her twice. When she ran away we had a prolonged discussion and she agreed to come back. She put up with more petting. Suddenly, I grabbed her by the scruff of the neck, which more or less paralyzes a cat. I need another cat like a moose needs another hat rack, but Nell's (my office accomplice) parents were wanting a kitten, and we have an opening for the position of Office Cat anyway.

My first observation was "Hey, this cat isn't scared of me." So, I released my death grip on her neck and held her more like a kitten. She put up with it. My next observation was that this cat had a mangled foot. Anyway, I carried her into the office, and the wretched beast started purring! Keep in mind that this is a feral kitten that had never been held, and was almost untouched by human hands.

Nell took her to the vet and they treated her, but kept her overnight as anesthesia is kind of touchy on a kitten of tender years. In any case, her life is not in danger and neither is her foot, though there was evidently quite an infection in progress. We git her back tomorrow. Just for fun, I think I'll fill out an employment application in her name, stating experience, qualifications, and objectives.

Who gets the bill? Don't know yet, but free kittens usually end up costing around $140.00, not counting ER services. If she goes to Nell's family, it's Nell's bill. If she works out as Office Cat, we'll either split it or charge the company - if we do a real sales job on the boss, who is a real softie inspite of being a jerk in some ways. Whatever, Pucifer won't be spending the winter under a storage shed. I explained all this to Mooch later in the day and she took it well. Just sat there with her tail wrapped around herself, gazing at me through those bright yellow eyes.

Pucifer is named in honor of Pohl Anderson who used the name for one of his feline characters. I did think of naming her Office so we could charge her expenses to the Office Supplies account.

Anyway, Pifka, that's what made the day so great. Maybe your best wishes had something to do with it.

margo

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 11:48 pm
Wheeeeee Roger

Another cat to play with!!!

Aren't kittens just the loveliest things? Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 01:58 pm
They are a joy, margo. Natural athletes, curious as all get out, and so innocent looking.

Back from the hospital, again with a good prognosis. Now he's playing hard to catch. Yes, HE! Somehow, Pucifer might not be such a great name after all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 02:01 pm
Call him the Gray Mouser, despite the color . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 02:36 pm
Such a lovely story! - Lucifer was male you know......
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 02:40 pm
Not faffid?

Lucifer? Maybe. Maybe he'll earn his own name.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 02:03 am
I'd love another kitten. They are such great fun!

I discussed this with Possum this afternoon, and I now have a 5 inch scratch on my leg, as a result. I'll take that as a "NO"! Shocked
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 07:01 pm
Roger!

I finally found this post. That's what happens when I'm away for part of the day, I miss out on the good posts unless I go hunting all over tarnation.

I am thrilled for you and for Ms. Pucifer. Please keep her!!! Please, Please, Please???

Couldn't you name her Office Pucifer and call her O.P. when you wanted?? I love the idea of charging her stuff to the Office Supplies Account. <silly grin> That is such a funny idea!

My most favorite cats have always been black and long-tailed. Please do not tell Stripe! And this wonderful cat has picked you, you lucky man!!!

<Big Sigh and Hugging self with happiness!>

Didn't I say that your state is the most numinous place I've been?

I am so pleased!!! Thanks for sharing. I hope it works out well. Please tell us how it goes, OK?

Love,
Piff
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 07:51 pm
Well, Pucifer turns out to be a DUDE! So the name is up in the air again. I'm hoping the boss will come up with a name. No matter how awful, I'm going to jump right on it. He would have a hard time rejecting an addition to the staff he had named himself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:19 pm
Aaaawwwwwww.... what a great story!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:02 am
Roger... that is such a dastardly idea, and just the kind of ploy I'd use myself, if necessary.

Good luck, I'm assuming that this morning is the time.

<crossing fingers XX >
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:54 am
A wonderful story Roger and what a smart kitten Pucifer is to adopt you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 10:47 am
Yeah, I'm beginning to think I've been had, too, Joanne.

It's working Pifka. He thinks Leto would be a good name. I guess it comes from the Dune stories? Anyway, Nell and I talked it over, and Leto it is!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:18 am
Was it Count Leto??? I'll have to look that up. I liked the Dune series -- not the movie (oh gross).

Oh, not the Count ... the God Emperor. I wonder if this review sheds a bit of light on why he might be called Leto:

"(the)plot that does exist is swamped by Leto's verbosity."

Did you say that he was a talker?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:23 am
I thought Leto was head of House Atrides, no? Paul's father . . .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:48 am
Leto II was Paul's son. I just scanned a couple of websites... not very thorough research, I'm afraid.

I lived in a house one summer that belonging to good friends of Frank Herbert. Fabulous house that some friends of mine were house-sitting while everybody traveled in Europe. Gads... a wonderful home. Huge stone sleeping porches and a bathroom off the kitchen papered in New Yorker covers from the twenties.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:01 pm
I am slow in understanding why Pucifer is wrong for a male cat...but never mind. Loved the idea of the name Office. Very funny.

Pacco.......Pacco..........Pacco dear, you have a new na--ame......
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 12:14 am
Leto II was Paul's son, named for Paul's father. Leto became The God Emperor of Dune, and ruled wisely and compassionately for several hundred years. He was the fulfilment of the promise first seen in Paul. I feel terribly sorry for those whose familiarity with Herbert and The Dune Series starts and ends with either the abominable movie or its equally abominable TV Miniseries counterpart. It would be better to know nothing of the opus than to think either dramatic version even hints at the subtle, complex, wonderful universe Herbert created and populated. IMHO, Herbert ranks with Tolkein and Asimov as an equal among equals, and without other parallel in the world of Fantasy Fiction.

Sorry for the digression ... that just caught my attention.

timber
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 12:18 am
Oh, and as for cat's names ... If you call a dog's name, it will come to you. If you call a cat's name, it will probably just take the message and get back to you when its convenient.

timber
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 12:34 am
Haven't read Dune in over a decade. If I'm going to have a cat named Leto, I better get with it.
0 Replies