Primetime TV is dying. But I have an idea that will singlehandedly save Television!!!!

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 01:21 am
If you haven't heard, primetime television is dying. Simply put, audiences demand a lot more from tv shows these days, more special effects and high production values, and yet so many shows that had a ton of money put into them end up with poor ratings and failing. And this is costing TV Studios an arm and a leg.

This is why everyone is going after reality tv, because the budgets aren't anywhere near as high. And if this keeps up, we can kiss high budget high production TV Shows (24, Terminator: TSCC etc) good bye. They'll be replaced with endless American Idol clones.

But I have an idea that will save television. Remember how AOL used to mail out those annoying CDs for free internet that no one wanted.

How would you like to get DVDs containing the first four-six episodes of tv shows? I think most people wouldn’t mind that. Tons of great shows got cancelled over the years, not because they were bad shows, but simply because not enough people had heard of them or watched the pilot episode. Examples include Firefly, Family Guy (it got cancelled initially), Arrested Development, Clone High, Freaks & Geeks and countless others.

This is what brought the idea on. I frequently pass by this show “Burn Notice” when channel surfing. But I never had any idea who anyone on the show was so I just surf past it. This is a problem with most serialized tv shows. If you didn’t watch the pilot and thus don’t know who the people on the show are, you’ll usually never wind up watching the show at all.

One day, my friend brought over a dvd of Burn Notice and showed me the first four episodes of it. That’s it, I was hooked to the show. Anytime the show was on USA, I tuned in, and I went onto to watch every show. The episode recaps actually make sense once you've seen the first few episodes.
For most people, if they don’t watch the pilot of a serialized tv show, they will never end up watching the show. The average person doesn’t watch stuff on hulu.com. (If you’re reading this on an internet forum, you’re not the average person). They like to sit in their sofa and watch shows on their HDTV. And if they stumble onto a show, they won’t stick around unless they atleast know who the main characters were and what they’re after.

But there is something amount watching multiple episodes of a good show in a short amount of time, that completely hooks you into the show. Try it out sometime. I went on to do this to many people for many of my favorite tv shows. I showed my GF the first four episodes of How I Met Your Mother and now she is more obsessed with the show than I am. I showed my brother the first four episodes of The Shield and he instantly became hooked. I showed my friend the first four episodes of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and later on Dexter, and he loved both. Hell I even showed my mom the first four episodes of Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars (my GF made me watch them), and now she watches both all the time.

Based on this, I think television studios should mail out a dvd containing the first four-six episodes of any good shows they are making, that are at the risk of getting cancelled due to lack of viewers.

The cost to manufacture a dvd is down to .12 cents now!! And the postage to mail a dvd costs about 50 cents (according to Netflix). The average prime time tv episode costs about $6 million dollars to produce. So for the cost of producing one episode, a studio could mail out dvds with the first four-six episodes of a tv show to 10 million people!!! From my personal experience, the majority of people that watch those first few episodes will be hooked. So even if a fifth of the people who get the dvds watch them, the show can bank on getting atleast a million new viewers for the price of producing just one episode. That million viewers is often the difference between a show getting cancelling, and it getting a second season.

So for these reasons, TV studios should give out dvds of the first 4-6 episodes of any good serialized tv show that is flailing in ratings (Firefly, Arrested Development, hell even Family Guy initially). They should encourage the person to pass on the dvd to family and friends if he enjoyed it. Ask them to watch subsequent episodes on hulu.com to catch up to the current season. Include a coupon that gives them $5 off the first season dvd boxset so they might purchase the whole season of the show. Tell them to buy old episodes on itunes. AOL did it, and they were selling a crappy product that no body wanted. So why don’t tv studios do it with good shows with a product that people actually do want (who doesn’t like free dvds).

This marketing method could make the difference between a great serialized tv show getting cancelled prematurely, or winding up as a huge hit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Get this idea out there to as many people as you can. Spread it around so that someone in marketing somewhere might stumble on to it. Keep this thread bumped. Television gets saved (reality tv doesn't take over primetime).

And we get a ton of great dvds of tv shows in the mail to add to our collections. They should totally package the dvds to look nice though, even if it's just a dvd sleeve, make it a well packaged nice looking dvd sleeve. Something that people wouldn't want to throw away. Something they would actually want to display on their entertainment centers and show to other people.

It's win win.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 3,044 • Replies: 21
No top replies

aidan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:41 am
I think that's a GREAT idea.
Actually, that's the only way I watch tv shows- I take dvd's out of the library or rent them from blockbuster.

I discovered the Ali G show, Thirty Rock, Flight of the Conchord, and Scrubs like this.

I have to watch them on DVD because we have sky and I can't figure out what's on when and how to wade through all the crap to find anything worth watching- so I don't even walk into the room the tv's in - unless it's to watch a dvd.

Like I said - great idea - I'd go for it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 04:54 am
The thing is, the companies would need to know the demographics of the individuals to whom they are sending the DVDs. For instance, I have not watched a comedy on TV since Seinfeld. I have no interest in them. And I never watched Seinfeld until it was in reruns. If I got a DVD of some silly comedy, it would probably go in the "circular" file.

One thing that the TV producers might do is to send out a survey describing some shows, and asking if any if them were a type of show that they might like. If they filled the survey out, they would get a DVD of their preference. This would not be as easy as just sending stuff out en masse, but ultimately might be more productive to the producers of the show. They could create a database of viewers who like one type of show or another.

I never wanted AOL, and must have thrown out dozens of the disks, and was annoyed to keep getting them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:15 am
Another thought. There are many people who are on the "No junk mail" list. (I am one of them. )The networks would be breaking the law if they sent out disks to people who had not had previous business with them.

I hate to come off sounding negative, but actually, I think that basically your idea is an excellent one. I had a thought. How about a big ad campaign in the newspapers, with a survey that you could fill out either right in the paper, and mail it in, or go online and complete the survey? Once that is done, a person has done business with the networks, and the networks would then be permitted to send the disks.

People hate to get unsolicited stuff, but love it if they think that they have won a "prize" so to speak.
roger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:18 am
@Phoenix32890,
There's a "No junk Mail List"?
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:49 am
@roger,
Rog- I shall assume that you are not putting me on, and really did not know about the list!

https://www.dmachoice.org/dma/member/regist.action
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:12 am
I think thats a great idea too . However, thers a slight modification needed. Sometimes the pilot episode is the worst of the shows offerings. I think thnat Seinfeld original pilot "The Seinfeld Chronicles" was a real sleeper and it took some beating around to whip it in shape.
Dexter was one that I had missed since we only kept HBO when the SOpranos was on. (We felt that the additional investment for what are essentially playing the same few movies over and over, wasnt worth it). When Dexter came on, we leater heard the buzz and got the first seasons DVD at Blockbuster. Excellent show.
Anyway, maybe we need to have them send out the DVD of their earliest best episodes.

I dont think Ive watched network TV for about 3 years(except PBS).The only thing I can see for network TV is to commit itself to these braindead reality shows. My last reality show was season II of Survivor. The rest are examples of how weve devolved as a species.
Letty

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:19 am
@Phoenix32890,
Speaking of "no junk mail", I got a letter from Publishers Clearing House that said my name was the second place winner and in it was a check for $5,935.00. I was then given a toll free number to call to verify certain information. My gawd, I had to laugh. How do scammers get away with that stuff?
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:26 am
@Letty,
Letty- It is a pity, because Publisher's Clearing House is real. Apparently some crooks have used the PCH name to try to extract some cash from some naive, unsuspecting people.

Quote:
A legitimate sweepstakes will NEVER ask you to send money to enter a sweepstakes, claim a prize, or to pay a fee, tax or deposit. If you are asked to send money to claim a sweepstakes prize for any reason you are being scammed. There is no legitimate reason for someone who is giving you money to ask you to wire money back.

http://www.pch.com/infocenter/consumeraffairs/legal/news092806.shtml
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:17 am
An ever better idea.

Turn the TV off.
TV shows do nothing for you and are a source of mindless entertainment.
This country does nothing but watch tv and eat.
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:32 am
@shewolfnm,
i missed a lot of tv working at my last job, and now watch almost no tv, at 5:30 each night i watch the national news (global canada), on the weekends i'll sometimes watch one of the american evening news programs

once or twice a week an hour long show on tvo (a canadian style pbs station)

i do waste lots of time on media however, i listen to about 9 hours of radio a day, mostly on podcast so i can start and stop when i want or have to

i also have been watching lost on dvd, the only way to watch that show in my opinion
boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:33 am
I love TV. I don't wanna turn it off.

As to demographics -- networks know who watches, that's how they sell advertising, and advertising makes the world go round.

The problem I see with your idea is that the shows would end up with plot points about how great Tide® laundry detergent is or how Lexus® is the best car for you. People would be yammering on endlessly about this product or that product.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:49 am
@Centroles,
Great Idea! That's why the networks will never do it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:52 am
@farmerman,
Dexter is a fantastic show! I watched the first two seasons by downloading from iTunes. Can't wait for the third season.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:46 pm
@djjd62,
I have not had TV for.. 4 years? maybe 5..

I OWN a tv, it hangs on the wall... but We rent movies, and primarily use it for games.

I watch tv shows online.. you can use http://www.surfthechannel.com/ and watch anything (Including Dexter!) for free 24/7

thats about as close to TV as I get..
No need to pay for cable when you can stream anything now for free..
Reyn

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:02 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
No need to pay for cable when you can stream anything now for free..

I wasn't aware of this, but if ever one watched for free, wouldn't TV disappear altogether, at least as we know it? What advertiser would advertise? Without ads, I don't think networks and the shows they produce would continue to exist.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:33 pm
@Reyn,
there are some places that stream with out ads.
There are other sites that stream with ads
But , when you watch the show, all of the commercials are removed. You are watching it as if it were on DVD.
It really depends on the site you choose to watch your shows on.

For example all of the major american networks have their primetime shows for streaming 24/7. Little to no commercials, but many side ads.

Then there are sites like mega video where you have to pay a monthly fee to be able to see the movies and shows they stream.

Then there are little sites like the one i posted that simply hosts links . Those are the ones that do not cost you anything, and they carry almost every single major ( and non ) show . Some are even posted the very day they air.
dadpad

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:47 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

An ever better idea.

Turn the TV off.
TV shows do nothing for you and are a source of mindless entertainment.
This country does nothing but watch tv and eat.

i just thought that was worth repeating
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:04 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I did not know about the list, does it work for Canadians?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:04 pm
that is only a good idea for those who feel the need to see the shows early, presumably so that they can talk about it. Thing is, if they are talking with friends or coworkers about the show then they already know about it. I long ago switched to watching all tv and almost all movies on Netflix or some other delay distro. I don't care at all that the thing was filmed a year or years ago, it is new to me so I get a rush. I avoid all periodicals now such as entertainment weekly so that I have little info on real time media events. Since I stopped watching tv I no longer get the commercials, and since I see few movies at the theater I get few promo's, I usually dont know what movies are out or what the hot tv shows are. I spend that money that would go into theater on a top of the line surround sound system..... I am very happy.

Time shifting and thus cutting out the corporate propaganda, that is the best way to handle media in my opinion.