Is This Cartoon Racist?

aidan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:12 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
OK; I will laff.

You better - I forbid you NOT to laugh - you libertarian you...

Quote:
I think it is MORE pertinent what the AUTHOR of the cartoon has to say about it

Yeah - me too - but nobody believes what he says. It'd be interesting to me to hear how Obama reads it. He seems like he has a measured view of things in general. I'd love to hear his take on it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:17 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

I already agreed with that. I thought the cartoon crude and insensitive,
and I didn't appreciate it, but not because it was racist as I do not believe it was racist in any way.

With all respect,
I gotta wonder: R we charged with being SENSITIVE ?

How did that happen ?

Did we take a vote ?

David

???????
I didn't say 'we' charged with being anything.

JoefromChicago said
Quote:
The problem with the cartoon, then, isn’t that it’s racist, it’s that it’s just pretty dumb.

Tico replied
Quote:
Can't say I disagree with you too much there, Joe.

My post was agreeing with Joe and Tico and adding my reason for why I thought it was dumb. Previously I had posted my opinion that I thought the cartoon insensitive and in bad taste not because it is racist, but because it used an image from a truly tragic event in a tasteless way.

My opinion only
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:21 am
Way back on page 9, Dyslexia wrote:
what I see coming is the ACLU defending the N Y Post cartoonist.

To this, in response, Dlowan wrote:
That would be ironic.

Then, in response to her, I wrote:
It would also be consonant with the mission of the ACLU.

And then, finally, Aidan wrote:
Exactly - not ironic at all actually. Entirely appropriate. And I'd be in total support of it.
Because now not only does it seem people can be told what they can write or say - it also seems that people are comfortable telling other people how they should or have to interpret something they read or hear.

Bullshit - give me free speech any day.

So, Aidan did not respond to what i wrote, and what she wrote bore absolutely no relation to what i had written. I not only did not deny that it were ironic, by using the little word "also," i acknowledged the irony. Aidan did not choose to respond to Dyslexia, and she did not choose to respond to Dlowan, she chose to respond to me. However, what she wrote was no response at all to what i wrote. I call that piggy-backing and i object to it, and always will. It didn't even really qualify as a straw man, although i described it that way, because she was not disagreeing with me--she was agreeing with something i had never written. Furthermore, i don't agree with a single thing she wrote in the post quoted above, apart from the notion that the ACLU would take a free speech or free press case.

All of these post can be found at the bottom of page nine, and seen in their context. If Aidan wishes to quote me, and take her chances on being raked over the coals for making such a stupid set of remarks having nothing to do with what i wrote, i cannot, of course, forbid her. If she pulsl **** like this again, i'll go after her again for piggy-backing my post, and once again point out her failure to comprehend what other people here write.
aidan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:25 am
@Setanta,
I will NEVER do it again (intentionally). I promise.
But not because you forbid me to or threatened me with being raked over the coals- simply because I know you didn't like it- and I don't want to make you uncomfortable Setanta.

(Besides the fact that I can admit I misread **** all the time - and I guess I did that time too- okay? Happy now?)

And I understand most of what a lot of people write, actually. I just don't understand all of what everybody writes.
Does anyone?
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:26 am
@aidan,
So what? I'm not joking when i say get off my back. Here you are, still pissing and moaning about something which happened on pages nine and ten, half the thread before this. You misrepresented what happened then, and you're misrepresenting it again. I don't like you, i don't respect you, i entertain a very low opinion of your coherence, and hold an opinion not much better of your intelligence. I strongly suspect you of being a casual liar who makes up stories about your life in order to make what you apparently think are authoritative remarks about topics under discussion. I have usually ignored your drivel, but i have often enough pointed out your stupidity to you that i can't for the life of me think why you continue to comment on what i write. But help yourself, i'm content to tell you how stupid your remarks are every time you make a stupid remark when piggy-backing my posts, or when quoting them. Water off a duck's back . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:27 am
@aidan,
In fact, to me, you seem like the kind of person who will say any damned idiotic thing which pops into your little head.
aidan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:30 am
@Setanta,
Really? Interesting assessment. And part of it is actually true- I do have a small head to go proportionately with the rest of my somewhat petite body.

Get a life Setanta - I was joking with my friend, David.
I'm not upset about anything you have to say about me.
And I sure aint pissing- or moaning.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:31 am
@aidan,
The stupid things you post are a matter of indifference to me, other than that i will always call you on them if you're stupid enough to attempt to involve me in them. Therefore, of course, i am not made uncomfortable by your stupidity, and experience no happiness (nor unhappiness) in seeing that you admit to your stupidity.
aidan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:32 am
@Setanta,
Peace to you and yours.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:40 am
Sure . . . we all know of your long suffering nobility . . . what a martyr you are to your virtues . . .
aidan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:45 am
@Setanta,
Actually long suffering is not a label anyone who knows me would use to describe me.
Patience (except with learning disabled students) doesn't happen to be one of my virtues.
I have to work VERY, VERY hard to remember we are all god's children....

Martyr - ME- no, not really...you've got it ALL wrong.

But anyway - do you happen to know if Obama's commented on the cartoon?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:54 am
@Setanta,
You would like that wouldn't you!
0 Replies