The best sites to buy tea

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:36 pm
What are the best sites on the internet to purchase tea? I know there are various types that consist of green tea and black tea and white tea but I was wondering if there is a website that puts all the types of tea in one location with ease of access. I would like to be able to find a one stop shop like a supermarket for tea. Does anyone know of such a place that also provides health information as well as brewing and preparation instructions? I am assuming that making a good cup of tea is not as simple as simply dunking the leaves in water and would like a bit of instruction before I make a purchase.

solipsister

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:49 pm
@quicknss,
the ceremony is steeped in mystery
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 09:35 pm
I won't recommend any particular site, but I can say that yes, brewing methods differ for different types of tea.

Only buy loose leaf tea, not the tea in bags.

Green tea needs to be steeped in water that has not quite come to a boil, and only for 2 or 3 minutes.

Black tea is brewed in water that has come to a boil, and for a longer period.

I drink a lot of green tea, and only get gyokuro, which is only the first few leaves on the plant. It costs a little more, although you can find good deals on line.

To me it is worth it, as no other green tea tastes as, well, green.

You don't need fancy equipment, just a pot and a tea strainer. I do enjoy the calming effect of watching the tea come to heat, swirling it around as it brews, and finally, pouring through a strainer into my cup, warming my hands.
OGIONIK

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:26 pm
@chai2,
damn you i cant find any good tea anywhere loose leaf.

i live in china town and there is one shop there, but my pot contained lead so i tossed it.

lol, how badass is that? lead tea AYAYYA!

anyways. i love whit tea.

i guess ill have to stick to the bags.
Sugar

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 04:48 am
@quicknss,
http://www.uptontea.com

I love Upton Tea. I am fairly new to loose tea and find their descriptions and instructions incredibly helpful. They have an enormous selection and can make recommendations. They also have a great quarterly newsletter and offer small samples of teas or sampler sets if you are not sure if you'll like a certain type to buy a large quantity. They also offer cheap flat rate shipping and they ship internationally.

I can't say enough good things about this company - highly recommended.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:20 am
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

damn you i cant find any good tea anywhere loose leaf.

i live in china town and there is one shop there, but my pot contained lead so i tossed it.

lol, how badass is that? lead tea AYAYYA!

anyways. i love whit tea.

i guess ill have to stick to the bags.

you only own one pot?

it doesn't have to be a "teapot" just something that makes the water hot.

I don't own a teapot, waste of money.

At work I use a little electric hotpot, and at home, any little saucepan.
chai2

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:21 am
anyone else thinking quickns and sugar work for Upton?
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:44 am
@chai2,
i like teapots. iono why.

the metal whistling ones are cool.

as well as asian ones.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:12 am
@chai2,
I can assure you I don't work for Upton. I've been a missing member here, but a member nonetheless, for a long time. Please stop by my profile.

I actual thought - with such a gushing review, people will think I work there. Guess they do! (But I don't - just like them and keep them stocked in the pantry, plus a home state company, so I'm am a little biased)
chai2

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:38 am
@Sugar,
Sugar wrote:

I can assure you I don't work for Upton. I've been a missing member here, but a member nonetheless, for a long time. Please stop by my profile.

I actual thought - with such a gushing review, people will think I work there. Guess they do! (But I don't - just like them and keep them stocked in the pantry, plus a home state company, so I'm am a little biased)

sorry Sugar, my mistake.

btw I like your listing under occupation in your profile.

Onion, who doesn't like a nice teapot?

I'm just sayin' it's not necessary. Personally, if I had the choice between getting the cup of tea I want and using a little pot, and using teabags, I'd go for the good stuff.

I never thought much about it before I watched an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown. I like how he explains the "whys" of food.

Basically, when they pick the tea leaves, the smaller bits fall through a screen as the tea leaves dry. The best tea stays in the top screen.

Then they shake the middle screen, and get the mid grade tea, and the smaller stuff falls through.

They use that tea for some other purpose, that screen get shaked, and the "tea dust" that falls through is what is sold in supermarkets in tea bags.

Basically, I look at it as the crap they couldn't get rid of.
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 08:54 am
@chai2,
hey chai u have any favorite brands?

ur the only person ive ever talked to in any fashion who likes tea it seems anywhere near as much as i do.
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 10:28 am
@OGIONIK,
To me, the brand doesn't matter, as long as it's gyokuro.

A few months ago I tried to buy some online, but couldn't find any because it was not the right growing season.
Well, maybe someone had it, but it was way overpriced.

So, I went over to Whole Foods, thinking I could buy a small amount there. Even though they charge too much, it wouldn't really matter over a quarter pound bag.

They didn't have any either, so I ended up buying something that looked similar, I think it was Sencha.

To me, it was drinkable in that it was liquid, and it was tea. But with every sip there would just be something missing or wrong. Like if you had a kind of coffee you loved, and then had to drink some generic blend for a week. You'd do it, but wouldn't really enjoy it.

Anyway, I just looked where I bought my last batch of tea, and it was from Arbor Tea online. You get free shipping if you spend over $50.

By the way, I tend to drink the tea hot at work, but when I'm home, I'll make like a gallon of it for ice tea to drink over the weekend, especially if I'm going to be working in the garden an sweating. I find it quenches thirst better than anything.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 10:37 am
Tevana has a tremendous assortment of all kinds of loose tea:

http://www.teavana.com/shop.axd/Default?cm_mmc=Google-_-PPC-_-Branded-_-teavana%20coupons&gclid=COmLm6CC6ZgCFU6F7Qod-2tS1g
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:32 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

To me, the brand doesn't matter, as long as it's gyokuro.

A few months ago I tried to buy some online, but couldn't find any because it was not the right growing season.
Well, maybe someone had it, but it was way overpriced.

So, I went over to Whole Foods, thinking I could buy a small amount there. Even though they charge too much, it wouldn't really matter over a quarter pound bag.

They didn't have any either, so I ended up buying something that looked similar, I think it was Sencha.

To me, it was drinkable in that it was liquid, and it was tea. But with every sip there would just be something missing or wrong. Like if you had a kind of coffee you loved, and then had to drink some generic blend for a week. You'd do it, but wouldn't really enjoy it.

Anyway, I just looked where I bought my last batch of tea, and it was from Arbor Tea online. You get free shipping if you spend over $50.

By the way, I tend to drink the tea hot at work, but when I'm home, I'll make like a gallon of it for ice tea to drink over the weekend, especially if I'm going to be working in the garden an sweating. I find it quenches thirst better than anything.

i LOVE sencha tea, has roasted rice added to it i think..

i willl definitely check it out, yay a fellow tea lover haha.

i feel like im doing drug deals at the tea store, shes like *asian accent*

FOE FEETY! FOE FEETY ! OUNSE! ounsees fo feeteee!
lol. looks like weed adn u buy it by the ounce etc. ahh. i miss weed. i think i switched from weed to tea. heh.

=P
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:50 am
heh.

at work I keep enough tea for a few days in a pretty little metal container, so I don't have to keep opening the larger bag.

there's been more than one time someone has pick up the box and looked inside and said "ummm...what's this?"

I'll look over and say "oh, that's my pot, help yourself."

0 Replies

BruceGarcia

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2014 08:14 am
There are many sites which provide a best tea products to sell, you may buy tea from online stores, you can buy the best quality tea or these online stores. Just do a Google search then you will get a number of website to buy the tea.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 08:44 am
There is a store in my local mall called Teavana. They have a huge selection of teas, as well as accessories for tea making.. I just checked, and they do sell online at www.teavana.com
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:00 am
http://justpgtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/pg-tips-monkey-sustainability-v1.jpg

This does the trick.
0 Replies