Poker Jargon, What's Up With That?

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:42 pm
I'd like to know all I need to know about poker jargon. I am getting ready to get into some table action and am worried that there's going to be some sort of poker catch phrase that's going to trip me up and thus totally wreck my poker-jo (formerly known as mojo). So, essentially, what are some of the most common and modern poker terms used out there...and what the heck do they mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,602 • Replies: 3
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:22 am
@MagiAwen,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_poker_terms
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:32 am
@MagiAwen,
Quote:
I am getting ready to get into some table action and am worried that there's going to be some sort of poker catch phrase that's going to trip me up...

I can't imagine how that would happen, and I've played hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of hands of poker and even quit my job to do it full-time for a while.

The overwhelming majority of poker players I know can increase their profitability simply by learning to fold more often, and I just don't see how jargon can help you unless you opponent tells you what he has while using jargon that you don't understand or something equally outlandish. And even then, reads and others such information are a small part of the game. 90% of poker is just letting go of your cards more often, so here's the best "jargon" you can learn:

"I fold".

Use it more often, and you'll likely* be a better player.

I'm sure some people have the opposite problem, and need to fold less, but of the tens of thousands of people I've played poker with I haven't seen any.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 08:30 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
90% of poker is just letting go of your cards more often, so here's the best "jargon" you can learn:

"I fold".

Use it more often, and you'll likely* be a better player.

Amen!
0 Replies