Future of evolution

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:49 am
In honor of Darwin being 200, the theory of the linear evolution scale has come under fire. There has been no missing link found, and many are using a more bush theory of evolution instead. So what happens when we continue to evolve? Using the bush theory (where it's sort of hit and miss and spread out) are we as humans going to evolve something like X-Men with different things coming to the forefront, or are we going to (using the linear model) going to wind up being more akin to the aliens of lore?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 14,969 • Replies: 43
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:02 am
@elletheduck,
Quote:
Future of evolution

Future of evoloserism?? Simple: evolution doesn't have a future.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:06 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Simple: evolution doesn't have a future.

Interesting. Based on what????
djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:10 am
@Frank Apisa,
because, silly, god says it's not real
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:19 am
@elletheduck,
Is there a single anti-evolution person that really understands what evolution is? I have yet to find one.
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:31 pm
The anniversary of ol' Chuck Darwin's birth is bringing them out of the woodwork. We've had a lot threads on the subject initiated lately, quite apart from the long running threads on this topic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:34 pm
Natural selection is not "hit or miss," despite the efforts of creationists to emphasize a claim of complete randomness implied in a theory of evolution. Traits which confer an advantage in breeding opportunity are most likely to be preserved and passed on to new generations; traits which confer no advantage of breeding opportunity are less likely to be preserved; traits which impede breeding opportunity will very quickly disappear.

The evolution of the human race has been removed from the genome, and placed in libraries, univesities, research institutions--the rise of literacy made many aspects of physical evolution irrelevant. The rise of and continued development of medical practice based on science are making all other aspects of physical evolution irrelevant.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 01:05 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The evolution of the human race has been removed from the genome, and placed in libraries, univesities, research institutions--the rise of literacy made many aspects of physical evolution irrelevant. The rise of and continued development of medical practice based on science are making all other aspects of physical evolution irrelevant.

Excellent points, Set. Evolution only occurs because there is a need to improve the model, to ensure survival of the species. Take that need away and there's not much chance of any drastic changes in an organism taking place. (Except for random mutations, of curse.)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:00 pm
If you believe in 'creationism' then you must believe that god had a great sense of humor. Look at ostriches. Giant, nasty, flightless birds. Such a jokester!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:24 pm
@elletheduck,
elletheduck wrote:

In honor of Darwin being 200, the theory of the linear evolution scale has come under fire. There has been no missing link found, and many are using a more bush theory of evolution instead. So what happens when we continue to evolve? Using the bush theory (where it's sort of hit and miss and spread out) are we as humans going to evolve something like X-Men with different things coming to the forefront, or are we going to (using the linear model) going to wind up being more akin to the aliens of lore?

BEFORE Darwin, people believed that evolution was "linear" with man being the pinnacle of creation.

Darwin rejected linear evolution and proposed a "tree of life" model in which species diverge from a common ancestor.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:33 pm
On p 297 (chapter 4) of the "ORIGIN...", Darwin presents his non linear tree of life in a diagram. This was presented in the first edition .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:34 pm
@elletheduck,
Oh man, I could really go for some nice X-Men super-powers right about now. A little telekinesis could be a real money-maker.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:35 pm
I want x-ray eyes . . . don't ask . . .
rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I want x-ray eyes . . . don't ask . . .

Oh man, I was gonna call that next. Damn.
0 Replies

phoney

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 05:55 pm
Maybe we are preventing any evolutionary changes from taking hold. If someone is born with 3 arms or legs, or an eye in the back of their head, instead of saying "maybe evolution is trying to improve us", we would amputate any extra limbs and operate to remove any feature that makes someone 'different'.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 07:30 pm
@phoney,
Did you come up with that all by yourself?
phoney

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:15 am
@farmerman,
Being a man of modest intellect and education, I don't expect to have an original thought.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 04:45 pm
@phoney,
phoney wrote:
Maybe we are preventing any evolutionary changes from taking hold. If someone is born with 3 arms or legs, or an eye in the back of their head, instead of saying "maybe evolution is trying to improve us", we would amputate any extra limbs and operate to remove any feature that makes someone 'different'.

I think you're a phoney.
spendius

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 06:14 pm
@rosborne979,
Maybe phoney was just being polite and avoiding mentioning extra large tits and steatopygia malformations.

I think ros is not only unimaginative but prissy with it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:02 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Is there a single anti-evolution person that really understands what evolution is? I have yet to find one.

Nobody's been able to find one. I've had a thread on it for some time and no Creationists have yet demonstrated even a rudimentary understanding of the basic principles of evolution.