Flight 1549 praise is being over done.

georgeob1

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 05:20 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Now as a non hero I know that I would and had not panic in flight emergencies and that anyone with any degree of flight training is not likely to panic but do his or her best to deal with the situation at hand to the limit of his/her flying ability.
I don't think this is true at all. There are degrees of fear and the distractions attendant to it - panic is merely an extreme state. I and everyone I knew in every squadron in which I served experienced some degree of it on a fairly regular basis. Indeed one of the unique bonds among pilots was that everyone had seen everyone else "scared shitless and out of ideas" as the saying went. Anyone who denied this was generally considered deluded and untrustworthy - and with good reason. I can assure you that a little bit of flight training did not immunize one from fear and its effects on performance.

Quote:
There is zero of being a hero in so doing as I define being a hero.
Perhaps you have an unusual definition of that condition in mind. As others here have noted, this may merely be a rather meaningless semantical question.

Quote:
You people either have a strong need for a hero and or have a very very low standards for what a hero happen to be.
You are reading intentions into this thing for which you have no basis at all. Indeed one could more easily infer some interesting motives for your perspective on the matter.

JTT

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 05:32 pm
@georgeob1,
To my mind, this is much much better.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:56 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Perhaps the headline should have read, "Average Pilot Lands Plane Safely"
Hardly even seems like news
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about due to the correction actions of a great many people from the flight crew to the rescue services to the ferry boats crews a plane load of men women and children got to go home?

Not to take anything away from any of the others, but.... Without the pilot bringing the plane down safely and in one piece, the others would not have been required.

Everybody involved did a splendid and professional job, but their job would not have been necessary if Capt. Sully crashed the plane into the ground flipped it over in the water.

Not even sure why I am posting this since Billy has me on ignore

Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 11:31 pm
@BillRM,
Eh, many passengers have acted badly even on routine flights. I regard passengers acting well under great stress as wonderful.

Who is talking about worship?

You are beating a horse, Bill.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 11:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Me too.

(sorry, a little behind on posts here)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 11:46 pm
@NickFun,
He wasn't average, see link by Butrflynet earlier.

Heroics? Bravery? Much has been written in literature about these.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 09:03 am
@ossobuco,
Eh, many passengers have acted badly even on routine flights. I regard passengers acting well under great stress as wonderful
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my life I had found that most people act better under survival stress then otherwise.

After Hurricane Andrew wipe out South Florida in 1992 most people went far out of their way to aid strangers. I had people spending days helping me out after the event for example.

Without any traffic controls/lights the normal insane driving change to one where the main tie up at intersections was that everyone was cheerfully insisting that the others cars go first.

The traffic flow was better in Miami then when the lights was working.

When the great northern power black out of 1967 occur people in New York city of all places was going out to directed traffic as another example of far better behavior then under zero stress conditions.

History is full of the general population meeting challenges such as how the London people handled being bomb every night during WW2.

Oh in spit of some comments here I do not consider myself a great flyer or a hero in any sense or in any manner.

My flight training and background is .0001 percent or less of what any jet liner pilot in history have and yet my training was enough to allow me to survive a number of somewhat bad situations and that is the reason I find nothing at all remarkable in a very high hour pilot being able to do a ditching.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:34 am
One look at Bill's profile page will show just how obsessed he is with this topic.... or himself. Almost every post he has made in the last while has been on this (his) thread.

What an utter waste of time. Lame thread.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:44 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:

in that case posting in this thread is counter productive. It is your duty to attempt to behave responsibly.
BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 08:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have this gentleman block for the very reason you pointed out if he was of the opinion that this thread is of little worth way in the hell is he reading and posting in it?
Intrepid

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:16 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

in that case posting in this thread is counter productive. It is your duty to attempt to behave responsibly.

... and I am not, how?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:17 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I have this gentleman block for the very reason you pointed out if he was of the opinion that this thread is of little worth way in the hell is he reading and posting in it?

Because it is an open forum and everybody has the same rights. It is pretty lame to block somebody because they don't agree with you. Oh well, your choice.

But then, if you blocked everybody who didn't agree with you, you wouldn't be able to continue this lame thread.

It is no longer Flight 1549 praise that is overdone it is this thread that is overdone.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:59:29