Is euthanasia acceptable?

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:49 pm
I think this will be an interesting discussion. What I think is that it is ok. I personally would not want to "live" dissabled from neck down or in coma supported by a machine. People should have the power to choose how and when to end their live. You canĀ“t choose to be born but you can choose to die. There should be time limit for example in a case of vegetative state when it is acceptable for the family to "pull the plug". Not a law but more like a guide line. Of course it is different in every case but the family should have legal right to end the suffering. Imagine yourself waking up from a coma after 20 years since you have been 18 years old. You have lost your youth. Your friends are married, moved away, dead etc. Is is life but is healthy for the person is another thing. I think that the state nor religion should have a say in any person will not to live.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090203/ap_on_re_eu/eu_italy_right_to_die_1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 11,582 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 12:41 pm
If someone wants to die...they should be allowed to die...and they should not have to throw themselves under the wheels of a tractor trailer to do it.

If there are any gods around who would be offended...they should **** off!
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 12:43 pm
By the way...my answer to your last question is either "yes" or "no" depending upon what you were asking.

I cannot tell what you were asking from the words you typed.
djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 01:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
lock up the thread, we got a winner
0 Replies

Starchild

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 04:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
To make the guestion simpler. Is it acceptable for the family to take their loved on, who has been in coma past 20 years, to die in another hospital or do you think it is murder?
blueprince

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 05:27 pm
Unless they have the consent of the comatose party (say, they said they didn't want to live in a coma) or if the comatose party is not conscious and is unlikely to be conscious ever again, it's murder.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 06:34 pm
@Starchild,
Starchild wrote:

.. Is it acceptable for the family to take their loved on, who has been in coma past 20 years, to die in another hospital or do you think it is murder?

depends on how the coma was invoked.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:50 pm
@Starchild,
Starchild wrote:

There should be time limit for example in a case of vegetative state when it is acceptable for the family to "pull the plug". Not a law but more like a guide line. Of course it is different in every case but the family should have legal right to end the suffering. Imagine yourself waking up from a coma after 20 years since you have been 18 years old. You have lost your youth. Your friends are married, moved away, dead etc. Is is life but is healthy for the person is another thing. I think that the state nor religion should have a say in any person will not to live.

I missed this topic the first time around.

Some of what the OP states above shows how problematic this issue is.
It depends of the perspective of the person considering pulling the plug.

I would hate to think that someone would end it for me thinking that if I woke up after a 20 year coma advanced age of 38 it would be too traumatic for me to continue.
When I was that age, I hardly considered my youth lost (still don't, 12 years beyond that.
I believe if my friends from when I was a senior in high school had moved somewhere, or had gotten married, I would be able to adjust to that Rolling Eyes

I remember though, when Franks mother in law was suffering terribly.

This is not a matter to be taken without careful consideration of what the person involved would have wanted, which is why it's so important to discuss this, when you are able, with those who could be making that decision for you one day.
0 Replies

kaynegabe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 04:07 am
Euthanasia is a heavily debated topic in today's world. Canada should legalize the act of mercy killing, for it is perfectly fine to do so. In these paragraphs, I shall explain why Euthanasia is the right thing to do.

Firstly, euthanasia is used to end a person's suffering, meaning that it skips the step of slowly dying from intolerable amounts of pain. In other words, you are ending one's suffering, which may put others at ease as well. People shouldn't have to live through slowly dying in a painful manner, it is much more humane for them to be at peace when they are ready.

Secondly, just by taking up a bed, you are using up money and space that could be used for other patients. This isn't to say that a dying person's life is not important, but at a certain state your body can't do anything on its own. The funds and time saved from euthanasia could be used towards saving the lives, and improving the long-term quality of life for others.

Lastly, it is the person's right to live their own life, so why can't they end it? The government may feel prolonging one's life is doing them a favor, but in many cases it only forces them to live through more suffering. Until the laws of this country change to accommodate euthanasia, we really have no control over our own lives.

In conclusion, euthanasia may be the only way for some of us to find peace. Nobody wants to be remembered as a someone lying on their deathbed waiting to croak, we want to be known as who we are. Canada's law does not allow anybody to perform this act, but many people are still fighting for it today.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 09:35 am
@kaynegabe,
It would depend on how much money the person being considered for euthanasia has and how much of it I would get. If one cannot articulate their desires than they should be left alone. If they have expressed the fact that they wouldent want to live under certian conditions to more than 5 or 10 people than it would be "right".
0 Replies

third son of man

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 10:08 pm
Yes if its done in a manner like marriage in a church where one can say I do or I don't. The marriage license will take effect in one year so one can finally wait and enjoy Christmas and become like a lump of coal or become one with an urn.

I can't begin to tell you how angry I feel because people are forced to live. We should have 100 year warranties on our lives so when things are not perfect we return the receipt and sign it.

I am the third son of man and I can tell you people all around North America are praying to me saying how much longer do we have to wait. We want to die now. We can't wait any longer. I hear your prayers and I feel your pain.

I'm the third son of man and I represent the 4 faces of the annointed cherubim which is 1/4 of the world or whirling wheels or the god of America. I
0 Replies

third son of man

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 10:42 pm
The least we can do is pray for those in need and hope they die real soon without pain or not pray and savor their pain in our own pleasure like the Romans and the Jews who killed Jesus Christ.

I got down on my knees and prayed to our heavenly father. May you have mercy on those who are broken and have lost their receipt or death certificate. In the name of Jesus Christ our lord and savior amen!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 10:51 pm
Ay yi yi!
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:26 am
@roger,
Indeed!

Wait long enough on A2K...and...
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 01:41 pm
@Starchild,
The Netherlands gives the right to physician-assisted suicide to 12 year-olds. Still ok with it?
0 Replies