Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:02 am
Yet another Obama nominee bites the dust because of tax issues. This time, Nancy Killefer, Obama's Chief Performance Officer.....

source

How many Dems have been caught with this now? Geithner, Daschle, Rangel, Killefer, Kennedy.... This trend is certainly disturbing for a party that feels paying taxes is patriotic and routinely wrestles with the need to raise taxes. Perhaps simple enforcement is needed rather than more taxes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,193 • Replies: 10
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:30 am
Yes, this is starting to piss me off.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:41 am
@maporsche,

Real change that you can believe in... Rolling Eyes

http://www.athenswater.com/images/PrezBO.jpg
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:32 am
I find it amazing how elected officials, who are supposed to be stewards of our tax dollars, feel they are above the law and show their hypocrisy.

This is not funny and not limited to only dummycrats. However, lately, the dyuumycrats seems to be getting all the "attention".
slkshock7

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 12:05 pm
@Woiyo9,
Such are the hazards of being the party in power...expect continued corruption being found in the Democrat party for the next four years, at least. Over the last two election cycles, they effectively painted a big red bullseye on their chests with their "culture of corruption" argument. Now in addition to references to the "Democrat culture of corruption", Republicans can add hypocrisy to their list of sins.
Woiyo9

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:09 pm
@slkshock7,
As I said, corruption is not restricted to any party. Both parties have members who are criminals. I fault blind partisanship by the voters for continuing to elect these scumbags into office.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:35 pm
And it just came across the network that Daschle is bowing out. We can be sure that it was pressure from President Obama and not Dascle's idea to do so. It wasn't a tax issue but something far more serious that made Richardson unacceptable as Commerce Secretary pick but I'm sure it wasn't Richardson's idea to withdraw either. But those guys are probably going to get some kind of payoff for whatever is owed them by the administration and/or party.

But geez, don't they ask these people whether they have legal or tax issues before they put their names into nomination?

At least it is giving the rightwing pundits a lot of ammo to use given the Democrats traditional moralistic emphasis on the patriotic duty of Americans to pay their taxes and we all should be eager to pay them.

Looks like President Obama would want to avoid creating targets for that as much as possible.
Woiyo9

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:19 pm
@Foxfyre,
Daschle lied to the IRS. What makes anyone think he would not lie to Obama?
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 06:06 pm
Another Obama potential cabinet member pays her taxes only after nomination...this time the Democratic Governor of Kansas, Kathleen Sibelius....

source

Reminds me of a joke I heard recently...
Quote:

Income taxes are normally due on April 15th...
... unless that date falls on a Saturday or Sunday, in which case they are due on Monday the 16th or 17th.

However, I have been told that rule has recently been changed for this and for the next 4 years, tax payments will not be due until you are nominated to a cabinet position.

Please check with your Tax adviser to confirm.

0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 12:00 pm
What ticks me off is seeing former senator Ted Stevens beat the rap due to Rep incompetence. The Bush Justice Dept. botched the prosecution of Stevens. Holder properly dropped the case.

The result is that Stevens, who had his house doubled in size, and who received many other bribes, walks away a free man. Stevens claims that he would have paid for the work on the house had he been asked, and that he considered the other items to be loans.

He must be laughing his ass off.
slkshock7

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 01:48 pm
@Advocate,
Actually both prosecutors were Democrats...one with ambitions of becoming the US Attorney in Boston....would have been a nice feather in his cap to have the conviction of a US senator under his belt, not to mention significantly raising his level of esteem in Democratic circles.

Bottom line is you had Democratic prosecutors blatantly out to get rid of a senior Republican senator and acting unethically to do so. It was only during deliberations as a result of Stevens' convictions (in Feb 09) that the full extent of prosecutorial misconduct came to light. I give credit to AG Holder for having the courage to admit that the prosecution errored and effectively, absolving Stevens.

I suppose you could argue that the Bush administration should have recognized the misconduct before Stevens' conviction and taken action to replace the prosecution, but that's not very realistic. I can see the headlines on the Daily Kos now... "Bush fires Democrat prosecutors to hand election to Stevens"...
0 Replies