Does your pet love you?

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:15 pm
@dlowan,
That's terribly sad, Deb. Poor Oscar. Sad

I saw a similar reaction in one of my moggies a few years ago, when her beloved feline partner in crime died. She just sat, motionless, on the couch in the loungeroom, refusing to play, go outside or even move around much. This lasted for a couple of weeks.
In the end we had to take matters in our own hands - gently pushing her outside (so she had to use the window or cat door to return inside - then we'd gently push her out again ...). And lots of playing with her, throwing balls for her to retrieve, etc .. heaps of attention. Poor Mozz, she took that death very hard.
dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:20 pm
@msolga,
It is so sad, isn't it?

Miranda soon made Oscar happy again....but, to the end of his life, he would hide behind my towel in the bathroom (yes, they follow me to the loo!) and wait for Maggie to come and attack him through the towel.

Miranda would come up, and look at him happily, but jumping on him through the towel was a special morning game he and Maggie played, and Miranda didn't "get" it.

Ho would often have a little cry when there was no response.
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:26 pm
@patiodog,
Quote:
T said it was the first time he'd been friendly to anyone in months. She cried.

Me too, reading your story about Klaus.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:29 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Miranda would come up, and look at him happily, but jumping on him through the towel was a special morning game he and Maggie played, and Miranda didn't "get" it.

Aw.

<sniff>
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 10:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

kickycan wrote:

I think my cat looks at me with love. Love like a kitten feels for it's mother or father. And I think it's the same kind of love and attachment we have for our parents. Cats can feel love in that way. Dogs can too. At least that's what I think. Of course, I could be wrong. What about you? What do you think?

I think that a cat is a mammal, ALL of whose genders
are either male or female not neuter, therefore
he or she cannot be logically represented by the pronoun " it ".

We have no means of know ing whether even other humans
love or not; however, my best bet is affirmative for both.

this is why david is one of my favorite posters.

ur just awesome.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 10:42 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Stop a second here. Long term observation of cats and dogs shows that they have some emotions...but don't equate them to human emotions. To equate their emotions to human ones is to anthropomorphise.

There is no basis for proof that their emotions compare to human emotions for depth and complexity. However, they have emotions for sure..and possess a rich emotional life. However, their brain is smaller (per body weight), simpler and their concentration span and memory are shorter. They will show what appears to be grief should their keeper/owner pass on..or one of their liter mates..or regular playmates pass on. They "love" but their abilityto show love is wrapped up in (simple) behaviors that are different than ours. They "speak" a different language that humans so to call this 'love' as we humans understand love obscures the point. Doggy or kitty love it is...but it is not human love. Call it what you want, it feels good to receive.

i think anthropomorphism is opposite of what humans believe it is. we do not possess real emotions. they do. pure, simple, true.

clean, unspoiled. unmarred by logic.
aidan

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 12:25 pm
@OGIONIK,
I totally agree. I also very often feel that way about babies and small children and people of all ages who have developmental delays.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 03:26 pm
@OGIONIK,
"There is no basis for proof that their emotions compare to human emotions for depth and complexity. " - also there is no proof that their emotions are not as deep or complex.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:06 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

"There is no basis for proof that their emotions compare to human emotions for depth and complexity. " -
also there is no proof that their emotions are not as deep or complex.

ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE
IS NOT
EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:12 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

That's terribly sad, Deb. Poor Oscar. Sad

I saw a similar reaction in one of my moggies a few years ago, when her beloved feline partner in crime died. She just sat, motionless, on the couch in the loungeroom, refusing to play, go outside or even move around much. This lasted for a couple of weeks.
In the end we had to take matters in our own hands - gently pushing her outside (so she had to use the window or cat door to return inside - then we'd gently push her out again ...). And lots of playing with her, throwing balls for her to retrieve, etc .. heaps of attention. Poor Mozz, she took that death very hard.
On the other hand,
I have had cats who showed emotional indifference
to the deaths from ill health of some of their kittens.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:25 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

kickycan wrote:

I think my cat looks at me with love. Love like a kitten feels for it's mother or father. And I think it's the same kind of love and attachment we have for our parents. Cats can feel love in that way. Dogs can too. At least that's what I think. Of course, I could be wrong. What about you? What do you think?

I think that a cat is a mammal, ALL of whose genders
are either male or female not neuter, therefore
he or she cannot be logically represented by the pronoun " it ".

We have no means of know ing whether even other humans
love or not; however, my best bet is affirmative for both.

this is why david is one of my favorite posters.

ur just awesome.

Thank u for your kind words.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Writing in large red print is not proof either.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:31 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Writing in large red print is not proof either.

It was not submitted to prove something;
rather the opposite.

I think it is more golden.
I did not intend to redden it.

David
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Or "golden" print.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 05:09 pm
I had a cat who I locked in his room, at night,
to defend the tranquility of my slumber, but
he tunneled out thru the wall and sprang down
from the ceiling, made his way to my bedroom,
climbed on my bed, mounted my chest and
placed the end of his nose directly into contact
with the end of my nose. This was his way
of intimating to me that he aspired to breakfast.

I (defensively) obstructed his tunnel.
He (counter-defensively) circumvented my obstruction
and persisted in waging his nasal campaign.
This was his paradigm of choice.

David
0 Replies

alguyton

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 09:47 am
@kickycan,
I definitly think that your cat loves you and I know that my dog loves me. These othere ppl cant understand because they obviously have never been able to connect with an animal before. No matter what size the brain of any creature is, it is capable of loving. In fact, I think its the over-thinkers that have a hard time loving someone. It has nothing to do with the head at all. I love my dog very much and I am positive she loves me Smile
0 Replies