Help! They're making me!

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 05:29 am
The company that I work for has recently been underwent an organizational change and as such my managers have switched. Now that my manager is no longer from Toronto, but in Saskatoon, he has specifically told me that I would need to move to Saskatoon in order to work in the field. I would be working in the I&C department as an EIT at a large mining project.

I'm at a loss of words since I've made such good friends here in Toronto, and having to move away would totally suck - especially to a place that is known to be in the middle of nowhere? (is this correct?)

I've worked for about 1 year out of school but looking at the job market now, would it be foolish for me to quit my job and look for another? If you were in my shoes, how would you decide?

This is my rough pros/cons list of moving: (feel free to add some of your own)
Just the idea of having to move away indefinitely is blinding me towards a negative light.

Pros:

- valuable engineering experience
- maybe higher pay?
- get to see other parts of canada
- get to keep my job

Cons:

- loss of friendships
- being far from any big city
- having to make new friends (being introverted makes this that much harder)
- Family is in Toronto
- boring

What do you guys think? What would you decide?

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 05:55 am
@amph1bius,
amph1bius wrote:

I've worked for about 1 year out of school but looking at the job market now, would it be foolish for me to quit my job and look for another?

Pros:
- valuable engineering experience
- maybe higher pay?
- get to see other parts of canada
- get to keep my job

Cons:
- loss of friendships
- being far from any big city
- having to make new friends (being introverted makes this that much harder)
- Family is in Toronto
- boring

What stood out the most to me was "valuable engineering experience", followed by "get to keep my job"

Let's take these pros and cons and weigh them in order of importance, at least in my eyes.

You're one year out of school, and have been given this opportunity to gain valuable engineering experience, while keeping your job (putting job stability on your resume), and maybe making more money while getting this experience (which will make you more valuable to future employers).

Moving does not mean loss of friendships. Not in this day of cell phones, text messaging, emails, facebook, etc.

Your family will always be there for you, and you can maintain contact in the above ways, plus visit on holidays.

Boring? I'd need to know your definition. Again, with todays technology, you should be able to find things to entertain yourself. Like A2K....lot's of spirited debate here!

It's not a good move, IMO to leave your first job after only a year, if you can avoid it.

If you don't have kids that would have to be uprooted to a new place, or a spouse that has a good job, or some obligation you can only attend to by being personally present, I'd say go for it.

If you give yourself a personal commitment to staying there for another year, the worst that will happen is that you have more experience, and a better chance at obtaining a higher position at the same company, or another.

You might surprise yourself by finding you like the new location.

0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:16 am
i have similar thoughts... i myself would at least give it a try. 3 or 6 months or whatever trial time period you want to set for yourself. then you at least won't be sorry you passed up on this chance.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:47 am
I have to agree with both Chai and Dag. What's the big deal? There are any number of occupations where one expects to be moved around from time to time. Broadens your horizons.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:16 am
Go with the job you have. In this market, nothing is guaranteed. You might like Sask, anyway. It's been booming lately. You'll make more friends. All the points made above are sensible.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:39 pm
I'll just join in and say a job is a darn nice thing to have, especially now. I'm not at all sure how you would do in the job market with only one year experience, anyway.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:08 pm
As everyone else says, you just might go there and like it. If not, and you want to return, then do so but at least give it a try.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:17 pm
yeah but, did you guys see where Saskatoon is?

Sunrise - sunset data Saskatoon
Dec 21, 2008 9:14 AM 4:56 PM 7h 42m 45s

Sunrise - sunset data Toronto
Dec 21, 2008 7:48 AM 4:44 PM 8h 55m 33s

I couldn't do it. However, if you go soon and stay for six to nine months as someone suggested you could decide if you really want to stay during the long, dark winter.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:20 pm
@amph1bius,
Quote:
The company that I work for has recently been underwent an organizational change and as such my managers have switched. Now that my manager is no longer from Toronto, but in Saskatoon, he has specifically told me that I would need to move to Saskatoon in order to work in the field. I would be working in the I&C department as an EIT at a large mining project.

Jobs are scarce. If you have one, go with the transfer if that is what it takes to hold onto it. If this is a new job being offered, get it in writing before making any moving plans. You would not be the first to make a move for a job only to find out that it had been eliminated while you were in transit.

As volatile as the economy and job market is right now, you might want to put your stuff in storage in Toronto and then rent a furnished room in Saskatoon for a few months until you know for sure the new job will survive the first few rounds of budget cuts the company makes. You can always move your stuff later over a 3-day weekend. It will be tougher to find a replacement job in the less populated Saskatoon if yours gets eliminated.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:23 am
Agree with all, including JPB as I couldn't do it either, re the change in light, but I have odd daylight issues.
Butrflynet makes a good point, re storage and renting.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 12:17 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

yeah but, did you guys see where Saskatoon is?

Sunrise - sunset data Saskatoon
Dec 21, 2008 9:14 AM 4:56 PM 7h 42m 45s

Sunrise - sunset data Toronto
Dec 21, 2008 7:48 AM 4:44 PM 8h 55m 33s

I couldn't do it. However, if you go soon and stay for six to nine months as someone suggested you could decide if you really want to stay during the long, dark winter.

unfortunately that's not too different from the netherlands. it's getting better, but it only gets like at around 8:30am and it's dark by 5pm. one gets used to it.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 12:23 pm
@dagmaraka,
Some people have depression problems with too much darkness, and some have visual problems, like me (nightblind - which means I can't drive anywhere near dawn or dusk, as in at least an hour after and before, and can only walk in very well lit areas. So, for some, getting used to it is very challenging. I was ok in the very north of California, which sounds about equivalent to the Hague, but wouldn't do well in far northern climes.

But given someone doesn't have these problems, I agree with the move to Saskatoon.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
unfortunately that's not too different from the netherlands. it's getting better, but it only gets like at around 8:30am and it's dark by 5pm. one gets used to it.

yeah, but wait until the Summer, Dascha. Sun won't set much before 10 p.m.
0 Replies

amph1bius

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:08 pm
Thank you for yoru insight into this move. I have just had the interview with the manager there and what will happen is that I will move offices (no longer be with the office here in Toronto). As a trial, he'll have me up there for a couple weeks where he'll give some assignments and evaluate me as a engineer in training. If positive, then I will be required to move up there given that I accept the offer.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:14 pm
@amph1bius,
Good luck with this, amph1bius. I think you've got a marvellous opportunity ahead of you.

I've found that Canadians are very friendly out in the prairies. The night life options aren't what they are in Toronto, but the life options are probably better. Easier to get out to enjoy outdoor sports, hiking, skiing, biking, that sort of thing.

The long summer days are awesome. Temps are usually not too hot, nights are cool enough to sleep wonderfully well even in summer. In mid-June, there are about 18 hours of daylight - kind of neat to come out of an evening movie and it still to be light out.

I've had a number of friends move to/live in Saskatoon because of work/university work terms over the past couple of decades. Most people seemed to want to stay there - and a fair number returned after university graduation.

Outside of work, are you interested in the arts, music, fitness ...?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:16 pm
@amph1bius,
The one thing which seems it might be slightly problematic is housing. Even though things have slowed down a bit, there is still somewhat of a housing/accommodation crunch in the west. Perhaps check things out through Craigslist before you head out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:31 pm
@amph1bius,
This WestJet page gives a nice quick summary.

http://www.westjet.com/sale_offers/yxe_landing_en.html

Quote:
Saskatoon, the province's largest city with a population of over 230,000, is an urban jewel situated in the middle of the Prairies. One of the sunniest places in Canada, it offers many intriguing indoor and outdoor activities.

It really is a lovely city.
chai2

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:02 pm
Good deal.

Please let us know how it works out!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Geez, Bethie, now you've got me all het up to go visit Saskatoon. I've never been to any of the prairie provinces of Canada, always stayed mainly in Ontario or Quebec. I do want to attend one Calgary Stampede before I join that big rodeo in the sky.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:13 pm
@Merry Andrew,
The Stampede would be a great time/place to get-together.

I love the prairies, but couldn't live in most prairie cities. I need water. Saskatoon's got water.
0 Replies