Torta di Ricotta/Ricotta Pie - variations on a theme

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 07:30 pm
I could swear I posted a recipe for spinach ricotta pie and then a post about doubling it except for the number of crusts - but I can't find that.

What I like about ricotta pie, given it has enough flavour, is that I can cut it into wedges, freeze them, and have breakfast or lunch for, say, twelve or sixteen days, given I use two crusts and pie plates. Oh, and it tastes good microwaved.

I do find a post of Msolga's, which I'll link here.
Here - http://able2know.org/topic/125735-2#post-3479577

quoting Msolga,

Here's my never fail stand-by. Very good when all the ingredients are fresh. Also very, very easy to make! "

SPINACH RICOTTA PIE:

* 2 x 250 g (5 oz) packets of frozen spinach
* 1 kg (2 lb) fresh ricotta cheese
* 5 free range eggs
* 2 tablespoons fresh dill (I substitute with fresh parsley when there's no dill available. Works fine.)
* sea salt & cracked black pepper
* 250 g (8 0z) cherry tomatoes
* 150 g (5 oz) fetta cheese, roughly crumbled

- Preheat oven to 160C (320F).
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave, or in a saucepan over mediun heat. Then squeeze out all the liquid.
- Place the spinach in a bowl with the ricotta, eggs, dill (or parsley), salt & pepper & combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a 12 cups (4 1/4 pint) capacity ovenproof baking dish.
- Top with cherry tomatoes, cut side up, & sprinkle with the fetta.
- Bake for one hour, or until the pie is set & slightly golden.
- Serve warm or cold (with a simple salad.)

I originally used an Epicurious recipe, riffing a bit on it, then pretty much doubled it but switched to swiss chard, and now I'm all over the place with kale, chard, parsley, olives, anchovies and on and on. Pie with refrigerator dependence...

The Epicurious recipe, here -
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Ricotta-Spinach-Pie-1548

ingredients
1 refrigerated pie crust (half of 15-ounce package), room temperature
1 teaspoon all purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
8 ounce mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 large eggs, beaten to blend

preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F. Unfold pie crust. Press out fold lines; if crust cracks, wet fingers and push edges together to seal. Sprinkle flour over crust. Place crust floured side down in 9-inch-diameter glass or ceramic pie dish. Fold edge under and crimp decoratively.

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Mix in spinach, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Sauté until all liquid from spinach evaporates, about 3 minutes.

Combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in large bowl. Mix in eggs. Add spinach mixture; blend well.

Spoon cheese mixture into pie crust. Bake until filling is set in center and brown on top, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut pie into wedges.

First time I tasted torta di ricotta was in Venice, Italy, and it was a mistake, because we were too full afterwards to want to go out to dinner. And, I remember thinking it was very bland.

But, sentimentalist that I am, and as I often make a spinach and butter and ricotta thing with farfalle, doused in lemon - I thought I'd play.

Recipe for today's two pies in next post.

Msolga's recipe looks good. So do some of the rustico recipes on italian online sites, involving translation (often with good pictures, sometimes using phyllo dough). I figure that as long as there is room in the pie plate, there is room for varied ingredients. (There is a sweet version, with raisins, etc.)

I'm still a lazybody and use packaged dough. I know it would all be better with fresh homemade. On the ricotta, I use whole milk. On the fat, I have used 1/2 olive oil and butter, and, today, all butter. Next time, all olive oil.

Variations welcome!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,013 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 08:05 pm
Today's recipe, before it self distructs in my mind -

Also, I see the Epicurious recipe was originally from
Bon Appétit | March 1996
by Dawn Murray: Allenwood, New Jersey

My alterations in dark red -

(2) 1 refrigerated pie crust (half of 15-ounce package), room temperature

2 tsp 1 teaspoon all purpose flour

6 Tbs 3 tablespoons butter
2 brown onions
1 medium onion, chopped

much miscellaneous greenery - I've used a large bunch of fresh spinach, same with chard 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry

Today I used sauteed slices of chard and kale stems, chopped kale, chopped chard, chopped olives, sliced canned in water artichoke hearts, chopped italian parsley, and about ten fresh raw green beans marinated in olive oil, garlic, parmigiano, chopped

1 tsp 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp 1/2 teaspoon pepper
two chopped tinned anchovies instead 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 - 15 oz containers 1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
1/4 lb "mozzarella" 8 ounce mozzarella cheese, grated
none, except that on the beans1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
6 3 large eggs, beaten to blend

preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F. Unfold pie crust. Press out fold lines; if crust cracks, wet fingers and push edges together to seal. Sprinkle flour over crust. Place crust floured side down in 9-inch-diameter glass or ceramic pie dish. Fold edge under and crimp decoratively.
I do this late in the game, it takes me a while to get the rest going

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. I saute longer. Mix in spinach, salt, pepper and nutmeg or whatever. Sauté until all liquid from spinach evaporates, about 3 minutes.
Well, mix stuff.

Combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in large bowl. Mix in eggs. Add spinach mixture; blend well.

Spoon cheese mixture into pie crust. Bake until filling is set in center and brown on top, about 40 closer to 50 in my oven minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut pie into wedges.

So, I suppose I should gather that into an intelligible recipe.
Back later.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, that's the best yet. Will write it up more coherently.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 01:16 am
@ossobuco,
I'm always interested in your adventures with food, osso. I'll make sure this thread is on update.

Really interested in more "rustic" Ricotta pie recipes. That one of mine (not really mine, from a cookbook) you printed above is a very handy, easy, tasty stand-by recipe ... for a variety of tastes, (but not necessarily exactly rustic). It has saved my bacon many a time when I've had to produce "a plate" at short notice.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 01:40 am
@msolga,
A few I looked at from italian sites had either a hardboiled egg in the middle of a big pie (new to me, and I don't like hard boiled eggs) or phylo wrapping top and bottom...
On the other hand, I just got started looking. The torta I had in Venice was like a slice of pie, no crust on top.

Tomorrow, I'll tame my recipe into coherence, promise. Really delicious, but prob not actually italian (what italian online would chop up kale stems?)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 04:41 am
Mrs F sometimes makes a "breakfass" pie out of riccotta and egg with a (sort of) prosciutto and onion layering. She makes a tomato base dough that is put up in one of these shallow tart pans. SPinach pies are ok but they need some "ZIP".

Most Ricotta tarts I enjoy are dessert pies with little fruit combinations and she makes the Ricotta base with a nice lemon or anisette background flavor (the anisette is an acquired taste Ill admit)
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 05:16 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Mrs F sometimes makes a "breakfass" pie out of riccotta and egg with a (sort of) prosciutto and onion layering. She makes a tomato base dough that is put up in one of these shallow tart pans. SPinach pies are ok but they need some "ZIP".

Certainly sounds as though this one has ZIP, farmer!
Any chance of getting the recipe from Mrs F & posting it?
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 05:18 am
@msolga,
Its pretty much done by a wing and a prayer but Ill ask her for the basic. I think the pie dough is special though.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 05:34 am
@farmerman,
Thanks. I'd appreciate that, farmer. That'd be good.

0 Replies