Boys tortured and killed in FL reform school

gary rice

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 01:03 am
@sherrie wendt,
Gary Rice here- I was at Okeechobee - they beat me so bad several times they broke blood on my back and legs - they would then isolate me until a lot of the healing went away. I was there 7 months and worked in the kitchen - - sad sad day. I was in Adams Cottage - - with Dale Johnson - and some others -- wow - that was so long ago - it still bothers me though. Are you really suing them?
0 Replies

gary rice

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 01:06 am
@Backdrop,
me too
Gary Rice here - did we ever get justice?
0 Replies

gary rice

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 01:15 am
@JPB,
What he says is true - they beat us so bad. I would like to find out who got what. I was there 7 months and was beaten several times so bad I was bleeding out my back - my butt and my legs - you didn't dare tell. I saw and hearb little boys beaten until they may hav been dead. They were for sure unconcious. The men there one I remember we just called Mr. Johns was even arrested for going nuts. I am glad word got out but this is the first I ever saw this. GARY RICE - I was in Okeechobee in about 64-5 - no later than 65. Again glad to see this.
roger

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 02:04 am
@gary rice ,
I left Florida in '62, and boy am I glad I missed all that. I did hear some nasty references, I believe to Marietta. I don't know if that was the same place under a different name, and I may not have spelled it quite right.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 07:03 am
@gary rice ,
Hi Gary,

Glad you found the story and glad you made it through your stint there.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 07:08 am
More graves discovered.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/11/florida-reform-school-abuse-graves

Quote:
The scale of abuse at a notorious youth residential school in Florida has been laid bare with the release of a report by investigators who say they have evidence of almost 100 deaths at the institution.

Investigators say they believe more graves are yet to be uncovered at the Arthur G Dozier School for Boys in Marianna, which closed a year ago following revelations of the widespread physical and sexual abuse of youths sent there since early last century.

It means the enormity of the outrage, in which survivors have told gruesome stories of regular beatings, rapes and even murders by staff members, is much greater than reported by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in 2010, when the agency announced the presence of 31 grave sites.

More at the link above.
JPB

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 07:13 am
For those looking for closure or to connect with others you may be able to contact Roger Kiser or others through http://www.thewhitehouseboysonline.com

Survivors call themselves the "White House Boys" after a small white building in the 1,400-acre site where children as young as five were chained to walls or tied to a bed and beaten. "There's just too many stories," one survivor, Roger Kiser, said in an interview with NPR earlier this year.
panzade

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 01:35 pm
@JPB,
JPB, thanks for shepherding this thread through the years. It's what makes A2K so valuable sometimes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:29 pm
@JPB,
Thanks, JPB!

The interim report by the by USF researchers is (as pdf-download, 46.76MB) >HERE<
0 Replies

gary rice

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 02:10 am
@wandeljw,
The beatings I endured in Okeechobee School for boys - in the 60's was way worse than any movie.
0 Replies

gary rice

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 02:17 am
@Backdrop,
Not sure who you are but I was in Adams Cottage and they beat me so bad they put me in lock up to heal b/c I had visitors in a week or so. The skin died on my backside. I once witnessed them beat a black boy to I think death. The reason I say I think is because I saw them carry his limp body out and never saw him again. I was there when they integrated the place. and the staff beat the blacks a lot worse than they did us whites. I am part American Indian and wonder how much more would they have beaten me if they knew that. A Mr. Johns was bad - it was in the PBPost that he was arrested and removed from the Campus - after going nuts and locking himself in his staff housing and refusing to leave after being fired or passed over on a promotion.
There are over 100 dead boys now found I believe so: YES this needs to be brought out.
0 Replies

rtbolt

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 04:50 pm
@GYRINE,
my name is Roger Puntervold ,from 1967-1971,i was in kendall (adams & seminol cottages)for 17 mos.,transfered to okeechobee (bethun cottage)for 2yrs,then transfered to marianna (kennedy cottage)6mos., i remember was all the beatings & mistreatment,slave labor,kids that disappeared...i have no fond memories at all...in 1971,while in marianna, i was brought to tallahasse along with 5-6 other boys from miami to testify in a case against the dade county childens home in kendall,fla. i never heard another word about that ...but, i was released soon after,on august 23rd 1971. my 17th birthday...

JPB

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 08:14 pm
@rtbolt,
Thank you for sharing your story, Roger. I don't know the outcome of the case where you testified, but I'm glad you were asked to testify and that you were released.

If you want to get in touch with others who were in similar situations there's an email and phone number at the top of this web page.

http://www.thewhitehouseboysonline.com
0 Replies

riceski

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:09 am
@tommytech,
Daum Dude I was in Adams - about 65 - 67 as best I recall so far. We will find the exact dates through school records.
As for the rape man I am sorry to hear that. I was a big fighter. No matter I know they can over come you when they make up their mind.
Anyway - you can email me or just ad me to face book with the email [email protected]
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 07:23 pm
Quote:
Excavations at a makeshift graveyard near a now-closed reform school in the Florida Panhandle have yielded remains of 55 bodies, almost twice the number official records say are there, the University of South Florida announced on Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/remains-55-bodies-found-near-former-florida-reform-232708887.html
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
roger

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 07:34 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Don't know much, do you?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:51 pm
Hey, I just remembered our old headmaster used to like groping boys bottoms including mine 50 years ago but we just regarded him as an eccentric old perv and laughed it off.
He's long dead and gone, but maybe i should still go to the police to lodge a complaint and make it sound bad so i could make some money by suing his family, and selling the story to the papers..Wink
roger

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 03:37 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
You see anybody making money out of this?
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 06:54 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Don Stratton says he and others were abused at the Florida School for Boys during the 1960s.

Huh, his story'd carry more weight if he hadn't waited 50 years to report it!
Same with all other alleged abuse victims (male and female) who make allegations against people many years later, it can't have been serious or the police would have been involved right back then..Wink

I can't begin to tell you how appalled I am by this comment.

My ex-husband was in a boys home for several years in the 1960s. When we were married I knew that he had had a pretty terrible time there, but it's only in the last few years that he has been able to talk about it. He was repeatedly raped, physically abused, starved and generally treated like ****. There were nights when he would go to bed, there would be a kid in the bed next to his and when he woke up in the morning that boy would be gone, and never seen again. The kids learned pretty quick not to ask questions.

They also learned not to complain about being hungry or cold.

Why didn't they report it at the time? Who to? Who was going to believe them? Who could they even trust enough? The people running these homes were pillars of society. The one my ex-husband was in was a Salvation Army home. Who would believe that the Salvos would do these things?

Why does it take fifty years to come forward?
Because they carry a load of shame, embarrassment, humiliation and despair.
It takes one brave person to speak up, then others come forward as well, because they realise they are not alone.