Old Testament--are its laws applicable to Christianity???

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 05:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
My argument is: Even if you were to distort the passages in Acts to mean that “the law” no longer applies to Christians...you could then logically argue that Christians are under no obligation to put homosexuals to death. But you cannot, on the basis of that stretch, logically argue that homosexual activity is not an abomination in the eyes of the god of the Bible.
Right!
Once Jesus fulfilled the law, we are no longer under its obligations. That does not change God's hatred of homosexuality.
Quote:
Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. (Galatians 3:23-25)
neologist

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 05:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I guess the Christians have decided not to touch this one!
Intrepid came for a while.
Funny.
Quite a few are still members of a2k. They just can't stand the heat.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 03:33 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
My argument is: Even if you were to distort the passages in Acts to mean that “the law” no longer applies to Christians...you could then logically argue that Christians are under no obligation to put homosexuals to death. But you cannot, on the basis of that stretch, logically argue that homosexual activity is not an abomination in the eyes of the god of the Bible.
Right!
Once Jesus fulfilled the law, we are no longer under its obligations. That does not change God's hatred of homosexuality.
Quote:
Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. (Galatians 3:23-25)

You keep going back to the "fulfill the law."

WHY do you continue to avoid the "until Heaven and Earth pass?"
0 Replies

Squeakybro

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 07:11 am

old testament law of sin and death
Heb 8:13
13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
2 Pet 2:8
8 (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds)--
1 Tim 1:9-10
9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine,
Rom 7:13
13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.
Rom 7:10-11
10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death.
11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me.
Rom 7:5-7
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."
Gal 3:24-25
24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
Gal 2:21
21 "I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."
Gal 6:3-8
3 For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.
4 But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.
5 For each one shall bear his own load.
6 Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches.
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.
Gal 6:12-14
12 As many as desire to make a good showing in the flesh, these would compel you to be circumcised, only that they may not suffer persecution for the cross of Christ.
13 For not even those who are circumcised keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh.
14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Gal 6:2
2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
Rom 8:1-4
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
Rom 10:4
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
Rom 13:8
8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.
(NKJ)

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 08:26 am
@Squeakybro,
Marsey dotes and doesey dotes and little lambsy divy...a kiddlededivy too wouldn't you?
neologist

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 08:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
You're dating yourself, Frank
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 08:45 am
@neologist,
Yup.

But appropriate, right!

I was originally thinking of the lyrics to Abba Dabba Honeymoon!
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 08:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
Those words sound queer and funny in my ear.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 08:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Maybe you're thinking of Abba bladder, when you're desperate for a piss. From the song Super Trouper, Feeling like number one.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 09:13 am
@izzythepush,
Aba Dabba Honeymoon is a song sung by Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Conner.

Makes damn near as much sense than Squeaky's post.

Ahhh...maybe it makes more sense than Squeaky's post.

I know Maresy dotes does!
0 Replies