H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:37 pm

Obama to Issue Order Closing Gitmo During First Week in Office

This order will amount to a presidential pardon. The headline should read as follows:

O boy to pardon hundreds of terrorists during 1st week in office.

What if Osama bin Laden were currently being held at Gitmo? What would O boy do?

What would he do?

ebrown p

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:01 pm
@H2O MAN,
That's simple.

A free, fair and open trial where Bin Ladin would be convicted of his heinous crimes and then sentenced... perhaps to death.

This would great for America and for the world.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:04 pm
@ebrown p,
Simple?
old europe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:05 pm
@H2O MAN,
Yes.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:06 pm
@old europe,

Not really, but thank you for your opinion.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:07 pm
@H2O MAN,
So simple, I think John McCain would have done the same.

The problem with Guantanamo is that there isn't enough evidence to convict many of the inmates of terrorism. If there were enough evidence to convict the, then there is no problem with a fair free and open trial.

Clearly, you agree, with Bin Ladin... there is more than enough evidence to have a real trial.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:08 pm
@H2O MAN,
You think the United States justice system couldn't handle a bin Laden trial?

Sad.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:18 pm

So... in your mind O boy would close Gitmo releasing the detainees to go as
they please and put OBL on trial here in the states. Is that what you are saying?

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:19 pm
@H2O MAN,
No, that's what you're saying.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:22 pm
@old europe,

No, it's a question I ask.
old europe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:33 pm
@H2O MAN,
Well then... I don't think that Obama would close Gitmo releasing the detainees to go as they please, and I don't think that the vast majority of people who are in favour of closing Gitmo would think that that would be a likely consequence. I think it's a rather stupid strawman by fear-mongering rightwing nutjobs with a paranoid gun obsession who, even as Obama has won the election and is about to be inaugurated as President of the United States, can't help themselves over their Pavlovian reactions to all things Obama and have to peddle the "if Guantanamo is to be closed, all the detainees were to go free as they please" idiocy.

I think the vast majority of people who are in favour of closing Gitmo are mostly in favour of ending a system that was purposefully installed to operate outside of the law, in violation of international treaties and in violation of the United States Constitution, and they would be perfectly fine with trying and sentencing terrorists, provided such a case can be made in a court of law, to sentences similar to the one 9/11 plotter Moussaoui has received.

I also think people would be in agreement with putting bin Laden on trial in the United States, provided he'd get caught. I don't think any speculations on whether or not trying to catch bin Laden would be any more successful under Obama than they were under Bush have any merit.

You're welcome.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:16 pm
@old europe,
Thank you for pulling the stupid strawman excuse out of your ass.

You got one thing right though and that is Gitmo does serve a real and important purpose in a very real war.
If O boy does close Gitmo the odds of another successful attack on the lower 48 increase dramatically.

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:22 pm
@H2O MAN,
You created the strawman in your first post by claiming that closing Guantanamo would amount to a presidential pardon of the detainees.
parados

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:46 pm
@H2O MAN,
Interesting that you would post this on a day that 5 more were released from Gitmo because their was no evidence to support them being held. It's amazing how the rule of law works H2O, isn't it?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:49 pm
A Guatanamo-related question: how many of the to-be-released detainees are still without a country to take them? I haven't seen any recent information about this in the media.
I understand some detainess cannot return to their countries of origin because of fears of persecution in those countries, so the US is approaching other countries to take them in. (I know Australia has been approached by the US government - a couple of times now, I believe.)
Finally, will the US be accepting any of the Guantanamo detainees?

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:01 pm
@old europe,

No, you created the strawman and pulled it from your ass.

Pay attention to what msolga had to say.
msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:10 pm
@H2O MAN,
er ... H2O Man, I was asking a question, that's all.

I'd actually be interested in a serious answer from anyone who is up to date on this issue.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:17 pm
@msolga,

And you asked an excellent question.

Now let's see if the usual detractors can come up with a plausible answer.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:22 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
you created the strawman

What strawman?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:32 pm
i still remember when i saw on TV that U.S. soldiers were handing over rifles to captured iraqi soldiers that were being released and sent home .
i didn't believe my eyes .
didn't take long for the rifles to be aimed at the americans .
i wonder who was the bright person who gave the order for handing over the rifles ?
i know that german soldiers on their way home after WW II were not given rifles by british or american soldiers - and i am glad for that .
hbg