When was the last time you ate or cooked brown rice?

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:58 pm
Perhaps, like me, you can't remember, because it was so long ago?

I love the different varieties of white rice & cook it often, in a variety of ways, but brown rice ...? I'm completely stuck.

I was thinking, yesterday, that I wouldn't mind giving it another try (I know it's good for you!) .... but am completely stumped on even vaguely interesting recipes. And I've looked in my cookbooks with little success.

So, if there's anyone out there who has any good recipes using brown rice they've cooked, any particular favourites or dishes you'd recommend .... please share!

Thanks,
Olga
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 5,419 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:01 pm
@msolga,
Okay hon... cook it in chicken broth and a little bit of lemon juice (1/4 cup or a bit less of lemon juice per 1 cup of water) - it adds so much flavour and dimension to it!

I also use that chicken broth/lemon juice ratio for cooking quinoa which I can eat hot or cold in a salad (with feta, peppers, etc) - yummy!!!

Oh, and brown rice makes a great cold salad! I love brown rice Smile
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:06 pm
today.... just plain...
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:06 pm
@msolga,
I eat it quite often; in fact there are some days of the month that rice is all I have left in the pantry to eat until I do my monthly grocery shopping order. What I do is buy a 5 pound sack of each, white rice and brown rice and then mix them together in my storage bin. That way I get the beneficial goodness of the brown rice but it still has some of the cooking versatility of the white rice.

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:10 pm
@Mame,
Thank you, Mame! (I though this was going to be one of those "instant death" threads! Wink )

I like those suggestions! So, for the chicken broth one, just substitite the same quantity of chicken broth (plus lemon juice) for the water & cook as usual?

And cold! I never thought of cold! Idea
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:12 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
today.... just plain...

With other things on the plate, Bear, or just plain brown rice on it's own?

You're on a health diet?
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:13 pm
@msolga,
Yes, Ms... same quantities, and cold is fabulous! Just add feta, pecans, various coloured peppers, onion if you like... whatever's on hand. Makes a great salad. You can make a lemon-oil vinaigrette that just tops it off. I often take a quinoa or rice salad to a potluck and they always go over well. Or throw it in some soup or stew - wonderful replacement for barley.
NickFun

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:14 pm
@msolga,
Last night. Is that unusual? I thought it was a fairly common dish. It was Trader Joe's ut I don't recall the exact variety. In any case, rice goes with everything. I prefer mine with just a hint of soy sauce.
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, I remember you saying that on another thread, Butrflynet. Do you usually eat it plain, like Bear, or would you include that mixture in any particular recipes?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:19 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Yes, Ms... same quantities, and cold is fabulous! Just add feta, pecans, various coloured peppers, onion if you like... whatever's on hand. Makes a great salad. You can make a lemon-oil vinaigrette that just tops it off. ...

Oh that sounds great, Mame! Yum!
(As a matter of fact, I have a fetta addiction going at the moment, too! Very Happy )

(PS ... Please feel free to call me Olga ... msolga harks from ancient Abuzz days.)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:20 pm
@msolga,
I don't love brown rice, but I also don't hate it if cooked to point. I'd much rather have cannaroli or arborio (not the california Lundberg arborio, which somehow never worked for me) or bhutan red, but I use lundberg short brown rice as a regular, say for burritos; plus basmati, jasmine, and japanese cal-rose. Different rices for different dishes, mostly. There's an italian one I've recently read about, but, eh, too hard for me to get it to try it. I like the rices Lotus Foods packages, pricey as I find them.

The one rice I don't give a hoot about is "wild rice". I realize I'm in a minority on that.

On brown rice, I have for years thought of it as mush, and probably still do, but there is a brown short grain that I can cook to "toothy", see lundberg (a california company) above.

The stuff in my market in boxes taking up the larger part of an aisle, I roll my eyes.
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:21 pm
@msolga,
I'm another with a feta addiction Smile Can never have too much. And feel free to add any cooked leftover meats into that - it's all good.
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:24 pm
@NickFun,
I seem to recall that you're a Buddhist, Nick? (I hope I've got this right.) So this would a regular part of your diet? (Please excuse my ignorance if I've got this all wrong!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Butrflynet, I don't understand mixing white and brown rice - for me, those have quite different timing for them each to be at their best.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Gosh, osso, you know so much more about different sorts of (white) rices than I do!

Me, I'm a Jasmine, Aborio & Basmati girl! Though recently I discovered an organic Basmati variety which tastes so much better!

Now I'm thinking about brown "short" rice ... sounds like there might be a few possibilities there ...
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:31 pm
I usually make a big crock pot of it, just plain, nothing but water and salt added, and I undercook it slightly. Then I use that as a basis for everything else I cook. The goal is to just cook a big batch of it once and then take bits from that batch for adding to my cooking during the rest of the week.

I might make a fried rice dish with some diced onions and carrots and some Asian seasonings.

I add some to some soups I'm making.

Often just add some frozen veggies to it with a squirt of mustard and a dollop of mayo and eat it cold.

Sometimes I'll add a half cup to my bread doughs.

Other times I just finish cooking it in some sort of flavored fluid such as a fruit juice like orange or apple juice, or a flavored stock from left over chicken bones or a vegetable stock.

I'll add a can of tomato sauce and some chili powder to make some Spanish rice.

I also use it as a stuffing for flattened chicken breasts or add it to a meatloaf mixture.

If I'm trying to stretch a bean dish, I'll add some rice to it rather than eating them separately.

I also just eat it plain with a bit of butter added.

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:31 pm
@Mame,
I'm not alone! Very Happy
I recently discovered Dodoni fetta, Mame! Heavenly!
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
You sound like you really get into it, Butrflynet!

Me, especially with anything new, I rely heavily on tried & true recipes. Not that confident with experimenting ... for the simple reason that I have created some dismal disasters when being "creative!". Wink

The way I see it: some folks have got it & some don't! Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:37 pm
@msolga,
In our area, I remember - or think I do - lundberg promoting it as brown arborio, but naaaah. It might be from arborio starter (doh, I'm dumb on that) but it doesn't cook like it re a risotto. Still --- treated as short brown, I like it well enough and you knoooow how picky I am.

The most interesting rice I've tasted in years is bhutan red from lotus foods. But I wouldn't eat it all the time.. first of all, it would wipe out my wallet. Their Forbidden (black) Rice is good too, I just don't love it.
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:38 pm
@msolga,
.. or is it "Didoni"?
(I'm a little vague today. Neutral )
0 Replies