Travelling to Costa Rica

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 04:58 pm
My daughter wants to go to Costa Rica. Her college has been taking students for years but daughter thinks she can save money by using another travel company. She wants to be in a group. My concern is the legitimacy of the company. I mean, how do you know you get what you pay for? Anyone been to Costa Rica with a company that they trust who takes groups of people/students? She - being a student - would like to go for $1000 or under for 10 days. Including airfare from Calif. Possible?
Thanks,
Bathy
Dianne
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,542 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:51 pm
I have no idea, so I'm posting to bump this up, Bathy.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:45 pm
@bathsheba,
A round trip ticket from California usually costs around $500. 10 days for under $500 would be some kind of backpacker hotel or hostel but is also doable, but I can't vouch for any nameless entity.
martybarker

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 12:11 am
@bathsheba,
I just got back from Costa Rica last month but spent most of the time on a small expedition cruise ship. But I do have some websites for you to check out.
Tripadvisor.com
Bootsnall.com
Both have a forum if you want advice.
bathsheba

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, thanks for the bump! I thanks ye.
Bathy
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks for the tip. I don't think she's up for backpacking...somewhere inbetween.
Bathy
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:46 pm
@martybarker,
Hi martybarker,

Did you have to get any special shots or anything before you left? I will pass the websites on to Kathy and let her decide - thanks so much!

Did you enjoy the trip? How long were you there?

Bathy
martybarker

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:08 pm
@bathsheba,
Had a great time. Here is my thread with a few pics. http://able2know.org/topic/127016-1

bathsheba

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:50 pm
@martybarker,
Hmmm....I will try to post another reply to you. The first one got zapped - said 'fatal error'. Geez I hate it when it says that!

The photos are awesome, marty! Thanks so much. I hope my daughter really goes to Costa Rica. She's worried about going alone and doesn't know anything about the company she is thinking of using called Caravan.

Glad you had such a good time, even enduring coral cuts and cute docs!

Bathy
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:05 am
@bathsheba,
Quote:
The first one got zapped - said 'fatal error'. Geez I hate it when it says that!

Nick, the programmer, was working on that tonight. We'll have to see if it fixed it but they have been hard to pin down as they happen rarely. We'll eliminate them eventually though.

As to the Costa Rica part, I live here and it's a great country. Tell her not to worry and if you need help checking anything out I can ask around. I looked into Caravan, and if you mean Caravan.com they are a fairly well-known company. I don't have any personal experience with them but they are one of the larger companies doing that and their itinerary below sounds legit:

http://www.caravan.com/tour/costa-rica

It hits pretty much all the main spots and isn't bad for the price depending on what kind of lodging they give. But do note that they don't include airfare on that page for $1000 and you should expect that to be around $500 more with that factored in.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Was in Limon, Costa Rica, last week for one day when our ship, the Tahitian Princess, had a port of call before we sailed back to the US - to Ft Lauderdale.

I love Costa Rica; the people are friendly, the country is beautiful, and they believe in conservation. My roommate and I did the canopy ride (on cables), visited a Del Monte banana plantation, had lunch at one of the beaches, and did an eco river cruise to see the animals and birds. This was my second visit to Costa Rica, and it probably won't be my last.
bathsheba

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 08:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So, now daughter is saying that the price is $3,000 to go to C. Rica! I can't get it out of her if she's planning on 5-star hotels or what. Could it possibly be that much for a round trip from Calif? Seems a bit pricey.
Dianne
Bathy
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:29 pm
@bathsheba,
Round trip ticket from California should be around $500-$600 (say $700 with tax). So that is a bit pricey, it would mean spending $240/day for the 10-day trip.

Here in Costa Rica, spending $100/night in hotels would mean staying at nice (not luxurious, but nice) hotels and most activities like rafting, tours etc will be from $100-$200 so it does seem like a bit much for a package deal.

You'd mentioned that she was thinking of using Caravan tours, and here they list their 10-day tour at around $1,000. With airfare and extra spending money that should be doable for a lot less than $3,000.
bathsheba

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks, Robert. I have no idea what she's thinking. Seems she could still take the trip for 1/2 of what she's saying it'll cost and have a wonderful time.

Bathsheba
Dianne
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:51 pm
@bathsheba,
What's the deal, you are arranging daughter's life? Not to be obnoxious, but really, back off.
maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 09:03 am
@ossobuco,
I think he's paying for it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 07:59 pm
@maporsche,
Ah, that didn't occur to me, maporsche. And I guess the admonishment was obnoxious in any case. It comes out of some past history and I shouldn't put it on Bathy.
maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 08:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Eh, what do ya do?

And I don't know that he's paying for it, that was just what I had assumed when reading this, I could be wrong.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 08:22 pm
@maporsche,
Shut up is what I should do.. stares at self.

Bathsheba's a woman, by the way.
maporsche

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Bathsheba's a woman, by the way.

Oops....sorry. Embarrassed
0 Replies