CSS and speech/thought bubbles??

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 09:02 am
Anybody know.... is there any way using CSS or javascript or anything like that to get the effect you see in cartoon strips in which thoughts or speech occur in bubbles, other than by using image files?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 6,591 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:31 pm
@gungasnake,
You'd need images for the rounded corners to support all browsers (the next version of css has rounded corners but not all browsers have implemented it).

Here is an example of css speech bubbles:

http://www.willmayo.com/2007/02/10/css-speech-bubbles/

Demo: http://www.willmayo.com/journal/projects/07/bubbles/

gungasnake

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 03:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
THANKS!!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
In fact, that's really better than I'd have thought was possible.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:17 pm
@gungasnake,
You might also find these useful then:

http://www.spiffycorners.com/

http://www.html.it/articoli/niftycube/index.html
gungasnake

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:32 am
@Robert Gentel,
Do you do web programming for a living?

I'm having to deal with web applications on an increasing basis at this point; kind of like having hoped I could die of old age without having to touch cell phones and then reality intervened...

I'm seeing what looks like three or four basic approaches to the thing...

.Net, which I'm not really interested in. I mean if I'm going to sell my soul I'd as soon sell it to the real devil as to some wannabe devil like Bill Gates...

Corba, for super masochists and possibly people with a major need to integrate existing cobol code into web systems. DAO Corba is bigger than the operating systems it lives on and takes days and weeks to compile.

Java, which appears to be filling the role Corba was supposed to, the language is basically simple, the servers are more complicated and integrating Eclipse and any of the servers is very difficult. The RMI server may be all that many people need and that DOES give you remote object programming with apps that look like apps rather than like web pages.

And than what I call a sanson (Sanford and Son) mixed model of programming including html forms, javascript, ajax, and php. A2K for instance appears to run mostly on the sanson model. If nothing else you have to like php, which appears to be an exceptionally good C interpreter with scripting language abilities made for web programming.

Am I missing anything here, some other major model of web programming which is going to make everything I've mentioned obsolete by June 09 or anything like that??

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 02:37 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Do you do web programming for a living?

I'm not a programmer, but I work in web development yes and frequently programming.

.Net, which I'm not really interested in. I mean if I'm going to sell my soul I'd as soon sell it to the real devil as to some wannabe devil like Bill Gates...

Quote:
Am I missing anything here, some other major model of web programming which is going to make everything I've mentioned obsolete by June 09 or anything like that??

Kinda, HTML, JS and CSS are markup languages that are almost always used whether you use a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySql and PHP) stack or a .NET stack.

.NET is a framework, and doesn't directly compare to PHP (though there are PHP frameworks, for example Zend). Ruby on Rails is another popular framework now. Adobe's flex is another popular tool these days but the game changing platform seems to be app engines that scale across many servers. Google's App Engine is a good example, you write your code in python, and use their data format and it scales well.

Traditionally, scaling to multiple servers was a tough thing to do, but they have made it very easy and you can expect to see more and more built on scalable platforms like that.

Amazon web services is another good example (especially their S3 service) of scalable services to consume and as an example it's a service that makes it relatively easy to build your own photo-sharing site or youtube as the scalable storage is solved for you.

[/quote]
0 Replies