Can you look at this map and say Israel does not systemically appropriate land?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 04:02 am
@ossobucotemp,
There's really unsophisticated and then there's, well you know, that.

At least you've lived a life and have a tale to tell. That's one hell of a lot preferable to brooding, impotent malice.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 07:04 am
@oralloy,
[img]Your dislike of facts does not make them untrue.[/img]

And your repetition of untruths doesn't make them facts in evidence.
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 03:02 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
And your repetition of untruths

I'm not saying or repeating any untruths. That's why neither you nor anyone else here can point out any errors in anything I say.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
doesn't make them facts in evidence.

The nice thing about facts is, they are facts on their own merits.

I don't know why liberals always think that the truth has to be "made true" before it counts as the truth.

Actually, that isn't correct. I do know why. Liberals don't like that facts always contradict their bankrupt ideology, and they concoct weird excuses for denying the existence of facts.

It's still bizarre though. When you are around conservatives everyone is always honest and straightforward. Then suddenly you come across a liberal on the internet and it's all "delusions count for more than reality", "the truth doesn't matter because you haven't made it true yet" and all sorts of similar nonsense.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 03:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I have put oralloy on ignore. The only person who encourages oralloy is you.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 05:02 am
Secular People, Gays and Arabs Don't Have Feelings in Israel

I’m offended to the depths of my soul by what is done here in my name every day, but being neither religious nor right-wing, no one cares about offending my sensibilities.

Gideon Levy
Jul 21, 2016

As with every other human thing in Israel, feelings, too, belong only to Jews. And, in fact, only to religious Jews. The meticulous will also add Holocaust survivors and bereaved families. It’s only their feelings that one is forbidden to offend. Everyone else has no feelings, or at least they needn’t be taken into account.

There’s no such thing as offending the sensibilities of secular people, leftists or just plain people, and certainly not of Arabs.

The Gay Pride Parade, for instance, is liable to offend religious sensibilities and therefore it can’t be allowed to march down the main street of Be’er Sheva. And in Jerusalem, populist mayor Nir Barkat will stay away from today’s Pride Parade so as “not to offend people’s feelings.”

The Jerusalem Day flag parade through that same city seriously offends my feelings every year. It fills me with terrible shame. But the feelings of secular people, liberals or Arabs? There’s no such thing.

read more: http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.732361
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It's a good description of most religions except buddhism. As a personal preference, I prefer buddhism, but I'm atheist to the core.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Re: bobsal u1553115 (Post 6228355)
I have put oralloy on ignore. The only person who encourages oralloy is you.

I've responded to him exactly three times in the last year. It ain't me encouraging him.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 06:20 am
Palestinian poet at heart of row on Israeli army radio broadcast
Source: Guardian UK

Rightwing fury after Mahmoud Darwish’s words are aired on army radio

He is regarded as one of Palestinian literature’s most important figures, a poet whose work has been translated and read around the globe, including in Hebrew.

Now the work of Mahmoud Darwish, who died in 2008, has been denounced by Israel’s far-right defence minister, Avigdor Lieberman, as equivalent to Hitler’s Mein Kampf in the latest bitter row over freedom of expression in Israel.

The remarks came as Lieberman waded into the controversy over Israel Army Radio’s inclusion of one of Darwish’s poems, ID Card, in an educational segment, infuriating rightwingers.

Lieberman summoned the station’s head, Yaron Dekel, to reprimand him over last week’s broadcast of the poem on the station’s University on the Air programme.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/23/israel-palestine-poetry-mahmoud-darwish
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 05:56 am
Israel's Culture War Is Getting Ugly
By Daniel Gordis

Measured against a tempestuous U.S. election season and a failed Turkish coup, Israel (for a change) seems quiet and stable. Bolstered by coalition agreements with the religious right, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu seems politically secure. For now, at least, elections are not on the Israeli horizon and the borders are quiet.

Mostly out of international view, however, Israel is in the grips of a renewed battle between an increasingly hard-line, anti-Western and extremist rabbinate, arrayed against Israeli liberal society, the army and even American Jews. The long-simmering battle resurfaced this month when a rabbinic court rejected a woman’s conversion that had been overseen by the widely respected New York Orthodox Rabbi Haskel Lookstein. (Lookstein was the same rabbi who accepted and then declined an invitation to deliver the invocation at the Republican National Convention.)

Despite protests by many moderate personalities, including the long-time Jewish human rights activist Natan Sharansky, the religious courts refused to back down, highlighting their disregard for how foreign Jews and much of Israeli society perceive them.

Then the army announced the nomination of Colonel Eyal Karim for the position of Chief Rabbi of the Israeli Defense Forces. The choice quickly aroused widespread disgust, even among many in the religious community. Karim, it turned out, had referred to homosexuals as “sick.” He said that the reason women cannot give testimony in certain court cases is that they are “sentimental” by inclination. Karim had also intimated that soldiers could legitimately rape women during war and that wounded terrorists should be killed, a subject particularly sensitive in Israel due to the ongoing trial of Sergeant Elor Azaria, who is now being tried for shooting a neutralized terrorist in Hebron.

more...

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-07-26/israel-s-culture-war-is-getting-ugly
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:02 am
@bobsal u1553115,
helpful article there..
I knew there was an array of backlash but not all those details.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 05:43 am
@ossobucotemp,
Its getting near the breaking point in Israel.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 05:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Yes. Its time for Israel to institute another shooting war with the Palistianian rock throwers!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 05:23 pm
@RABEL222,
Doesn't it make many wonder why most Americans support Israel's illegal land theft and war?

Quote:
Canada, agreeing with UN Security Council Resolutions 446 and 465, argues that the Fourth Geneva Convention applies to the occupied territories (the Golan Heights, the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip) and that Israeli settlements are a violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention.
International law and Israeli settlements - Wikipedia, the free ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_law_and_Israeli_settlementsWiki
pedia

Also: http://jfjfp.com/?p=85284
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 05:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
do they? I'm not a data person but there is much going on re that.
oralloy

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Doesn't it make many wonder why most Americans support Israel's illegal land theft and war?

"Land for Peace" meant that Israel was supposed to get peace in exchange for giving up land.

The refusal to make peace with Israel means that Israel now gets to keep the land.

If you don't like that, take it up with the people who refused to make peace with Israel.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 12:26 am
Secret 1970 Document Confirms First West Bank Settlements Built on a Lie
Quote:
It has long been an open secret that the settlement enterprise was launched under false pretenses, involving the expropriation of Palestinian land for ostensibly military purposes when the true intent was to build civilian settlements, which is a violation of international law.

Now a secret document from 1970 has surfaced confirming this long-held assumption. The document, a copy of which has been obtained by Haaretz, details a meeting in the office of then-defense minister Moshe Dayan at which government and military leaders spoke explicitly about how to carry out this deception in the building of Kiryat Arba, next to Hebron.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:02 am
@RABEL222,
When it happens and it will, this is a good source of information not filtered by the Israeli army:

https://electronicintifada.net/

I've been following this site since 2003 or so, it leaves most of the emotional stuff in the background and deals with facts and truth.

A third intifada is inevitable.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 02:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Reply to self - I've read recently that american jews are fairly heavily against Israel's settlement behavior. Sorry, no link.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 02:49 pm
http://www.ifamericansknew.org/cur_sit/jew2jew.html
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 11:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Great article. Definitely shows that most of oralloy's "facts" aren't facts at all, but only opinions, each just one opinion among many.
ar